Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen Extension - Meath

• 10-02-2008 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    We are thinking of extending the house and making the new room into a Kitchen. The new room will be on the same side of the house as the old kitchen but not extending from that room. I want to do as much work on it as possible and keep the price down as we have around 25k to spend on it. A neighbour has a similar extension (the bloke fits kitchens for a living ) and did it cheaply but has construction knowledge that I dont have. If you could get me started on what I need to do as in planning/construction tips, I would really be greatful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dulux

Hi
    So just to narrow the whole thing dawn and by the way thanks to everyone that contributes here, as I said before I am a real beginer with this. I had a look through old posts and stickies and see my process as this

1. Get an architect/tech and talk to him about what we actually want and get him started on a sketch and check weather this is a planning exempt project. If it is carry on and get a drawing with as much detail, if not do anyway and apply for planning permission and submit drawings?
    2. Contact an Construction engineer and also talk to him about the plans and ask advice about the build. See if he can recomend a builder for the stuff I am not able for, also see what I am able for?
    3. Select the builder and check out insurence
    4. Contract with builder for stuff he is doing- time/cost
    5. Should I get a separate engineer to oversee the builder?

Right from here on I am lost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

You are right, first of all, get an architect / technician to look at it first,
    If the person you get is competent, they will be able to advise you how best to proceed.
    Be careful about exempt development - you are allowed build 40 sq metres to the rear if the house had not previously been extended, there are other rules relating to this also. If you are building to the side, you will need P.P.
    The architect you get may be able to oversee the build for you and their drawings will allow you to obtain quotes.
    If you plan doing alot of the work yourself, a contractor may not suit the job, it may be a direct labout scenario which will end up costing you less money.
    in this case you will not have contracts with the persons doing jobs, there shouldn't be a problem with this.
    I am building an extension at the moment in Meath too and this is the way I am doing it.
    Best of luck with it!
    unlaoised.

Advertisement