Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it ok to sew grass seed?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me when its ok to start sewing grass ? Do ya have to wait till march or something? ? :confused:

I sewed grass last year for the first time and didn't cut the grass often enough so it turned out horrible and i'm looking to sort it out asap! - help!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

missbusy wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when its ok to start sewing grass ? Do ya have to wait till march or something? ? :confused:

I sewed grass last year for the first time and didn't cut the grass often enough so it turned out horrible and i'm looking to sort it out asap! - help!:eek:
    Anytime from March to October but preferably avoid the summer months unless you are prepared to water it several times per day.

I would sow in March/April or September/October but it will probably depend on what part of the country you're in.

If you want a nice lawn, regular mowing and occasional feeding are a must. I would mow every three days or so. A good rule of thumb is that it should be difficult to see a difference between the mowed part and the unmowed part - otherwise you are not doing it often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Would you not consider using roll out turf, I mean preapring ground for seeding is similar to turfing except turfing costs a little bit more but you'll have a perfect ready lawn after 2 weeks.

Roll turf lawns can be laid anytime except during heavy wet spells.

Go on, treat yourself to a beautiful groomed crisp new lawn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

There are quite a few tips here...
    How to sow a lawn from grass seed in Ireland-Lawn Hints/Tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi
    I was just looking at the above address and was just wondering - is it absolutely necessary to rotivate the lawn with a rotivator or can you get by just digging it over with a shovel?
    I have a LOT of moss so was thinking it might be better to actually hire a rotivator to improve the drainage a bit....

If you have any issues with drainage, sort them out first!

I started a new lawn last Autumn and now I see some areas that don't drain properly, worst case senario involves digging trenches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Hi
    is it absolutely necessary to rotivate the lawn with a rotivator or can you get by just digging it over with a shovel?
    If you were to go with a hand tool, I would prefer to see a garden fork brought into the mix.
    This will break up clods and help to open the soil relieving compaction and smearing of the soil.
    I have a LOT of moss so was thinking it might be better to actually hire a rotivator to improve the drainage a bit....

Rotavators are not renowned for being a moss solution.
    If used incorrectly they can ruin the soil structure (over-tilling) causing more problems than they solve.
    Best to first look at what could be your underlying problems causing the moss.
    Here are a few..... Lawn Moss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi thanks for that, I think the main problem is that the soil is very compact, and also that it's not of a very good quality.. I tried to turn a few sods a while ago and the deepest I could dig easily was about 6 inches!! So I think I might have to loosen it somehow and then mix in some better quality soil and fertilser

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

Would you not consider using roll out turf, I mean preapring ground for seeding is similar to turfing except turfing costs a little bit more but you'll have a perfect ready lawn after 2 weeks.

Roll turf lawns can be laid anytime except during heavy wet spells.

Go on, treat yourself to a beautiful groomed crisp new lawn.:D

Where would i enquire about that? - with a landscaper??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Where would i enquire about that? - with a landscaper??:confused:

Yes perhaps or else you could prepare the ground yourself and then order the roll turf as supply only or supply and fit. Gary Flood in Clonroche Wexford is a very good supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭missbusy

Yes perhaps or else you could prepare the ground yourself and then order the roll turf as supply only or supply and fit. Gary Flood in Clonroche Wexford is a very good supplier.

well the was rotovated and leveled last summer, its just i really didn't give it the time that was needed :( So does it need more preparing??

• Advertisement
Advertisement