Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: Report on Rossiter death not to be made public

Options
  • 10-02-2008 11:59am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheyidcweykf/
    Report on Rossiter death not to be made public
    10/02/2008 - 10:08:38

A report in to the death of 14-year-old Brian Rossiter six years ago will not be made fully public.

The teenager died from brain injuries in hospital, three days after being arrested and detained at Clonmel garda station in Co Tipperary.

This morning's Sunday Business Post is reporting that the inquiry report in to the death will only be published in an edited version because of fears that it contains evidence that could be defamatory to certain individuals.

The move is being taken on the advice of the Attorney General.
    Is it just me that is not surprised?
    Its a disgrace!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

kbannon wrote: »
    from http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mheyidcweykf/
    Is it just me that is not surprised?
    Its a disgrace!

An utter disgrace.

How can the truth be defamatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

An utter disgrace.

How can the truth be defamatory?

Probably theyre concerned that seeing that no one has been charged or convicted in relation to the death [afaik], accusing people of wrongdoing would leave the reports authors open to being sued? I doubt the inquiry report has the ability to delcare guilt or innocence as a court might.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sand wrote: »
    Probably theyre concerned that seeing that no one has been charged or convicted in relation to the death [afaik], accusing people of wrongdoing would leave the reports authors open to being sued? I doubt the inquiry report has the ability to delcare guilt or innocence as a court might.
    if the information in the report is the truth, then they have nothing to fear from a law suit. Especially considering the fact that the burden of proof is much lower in a civil suit than a criminal trial.

Advertisement