Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

men and their hair

• 10-02-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Rambling conversation earlier with a girlfriend and she was taking about a blind date last night and the fact that he had one massive eyebrow and mountains of hair coming out in every direction of his t-shirt. Got us onto talking about hair and how for some its a sign of manliness.

Thought it might be interesting to hear some other ladies comments on the following:

Men with long hair - attractive or no? Have had two ex-boyfriends with long hair [past the shoulders] and it looked really good on one [dead straight, well looked after with out going OT on hair products] and awful on the other [always kept it in a ponytail, seriously whats the point? if your not going to let down, cut it off]

Hair product guys - would you be bothered if your man spent longer in the salon then you?

Bald/shaved head Men - I don't think alot of guys can carry this off [granted some don't have a choice] If your man started to go bald would you tell him to get it over with and shave it off?

Facial hair - who likes/dislikes facial hair? I'm not a massive fan but well kept and trimmed facial hair can look good. Blokes with uni-brows also a turn off, wouldn't want them to pluck/wax the whole eyebrow but there should be two.

Chest hair - divided, some chest hair can look nice but hate the sight of chest hair creeping over the top of shirts.

Back hair - ugh very hairy backs big turn off for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Mens hair should be short, always short.

I like facial hair, it doesn't suit everyone, but in general I like it on a guy.

Body hair: Yes please! I love a hairy chest, the more the better. It seems manly or something. I hate a hairless body, it makes me think of a little boy!
    ztoical wrote: »

Hair product guys - would you be bothered if your man spent longer in the saloon then you?

Guessing you mean salon here, my man often spends longer than me in the saloon...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Men with long hair - attractive or no? Have had two ex-boyfriends with long hair [past the shoulders] and it looked really good on one [dead straight, well looked after with out going OT on hair products] and awful on the other [always kept it in a ponytail, seriously whats the point? if your not going to let down, cut it off]

Bald/shaved head Men - I don't think alot of guys can carry this off [granted some don't have a choice] If your man started to go bald would you tell him to get it over with and shave it off?

Facial hair - who likes/dislikes facial hair? I'm not a massive fan but well kept and trimmed facial hair can look good.

Chest hair - divided, some chest hair can look nice but hate the sight of chest hair creeping over the top of shirts.

Back hair - ugh very hairy backs big turn off for me

Don't like long hair at all on a man - short all the way.
    Depending on the guy, the bald/shaved head look can be very nice.
    Facial hair - don't like full grown beards, but stubble can be attractive, nothing more though
    As for chest hair, yes I like it - something manly about it - have a friend who waxes his chest, that is just wrong imo.
    Back hair - not a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

litup wrote: »

Guessing you mean salon here, my man often spends longer than me in the saloon...;)

fixed - work for a company called the cartoon saloon guess it sticks in my head ;)

cAr0l wrote: »
    have a friend who waxes his chest, that is just wrong imo.

had a male friend who got his chest waxed. Before he went he was going on at me about what a high threshold he had for pain and that it wouldn't be any bother and I was such a baby for saying it hurt to get my legs waxed. He actually called me from the salon just before they started so I could hear how much of stud he was. Needless to say once they started removing the hair he hung up the phone and we never talked about it again :p

LOL! :D

Hair that is so long it can be tied back is no for me. I'm appauled that my mates teenager brothers are robbing their straigthners, but the grotty metaller look of old turns my stomach too. Its a no win situation.
    I do like dreads on some men though.

I have really low maintance hair, so I'm wouldn't be bothered by vying for mirror time with a beau.

People suffering the baldness should shave it off, unless they have heads shaped like pinky and the brain. I could get over baldness if I had too.

I don't like beardy wierdies, stubble looks nice but gives me a rash.

I love chest hair.

I hate BS and C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Different hair on different men. I have seen men with long hair who have cut it short and it looks awful and i have seen men who look great with shorter hair, like women it depends on the person.

Hairy backs, now that is some thing i can not stand, don't mind hair anywhere else but a hairy back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i was going out with a guy for nearly 2 months and he always had his hair tied back, then one day he wore it down and i lost all attraction to him after that!

the amount of guys i know who straighten their hair is unreal. i find that weird i dont mind them looking after their hair but i think straightening is going too far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Men with long hair - attractive or no?

My ex had long hair when I got with him, then got it cut short and it looked much better. Current OH has really long hair, it's nice but I keep pestering him to cut it.
    Hair product guys - would you be bothered if your man spent longer in the salon then you?

Yes. I only get my hair cut about twice (if even) a year. My ex used to insist on going to Peter Marks and spending 50bob on a cut that he could have gotten for 12. Made me think differently of him.
    If your man started to go bald would you tell him to get it over with and shave it off?

Probably, I just don't like the look of balding men. Though, in the long term it doesn't really matter.
    Facial hair - who likes/dislikes facial hair?
    I love facial hair. Not big bushy beards or anything, but a nice shmig can look really well on a guy.
    Chest hair

Don't mind it too much, but my current OH is totally bald on his torso and I love it.
    Back hair

If you love someone enough you won't notice it :P One of my friends actually really likes very hairy guys. I used to be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Long or short wouldn't really bother me, I'd be more influenced but the colour than the lenght to be honest, bald can look really good on some guys and I love that feeling when it's just growing back :) Not big on hairy chests but a little bit wouldn't bother me and hairy backs and ape like arms are a total no no. Stubble can be nice if it's not to long but beards and tashes no thanks

Baudelaire wrote: »
    I'd be more influenced but the colour than the lenght to be honest

What colour is a yeh and what is a neh?

• Advertisement

Weidii wrote: »
    If you love someone enough you won't notice it

of course but I was thinking more along the lines of seeing a guy from across a room. Have you ever started talking to a guy cus he does/doesn't have facial hair etc

I think you always think with hair that you wrk with it.
    A unibrow would be a pet peeve of mine, but it wouldn't make me run a million miles away.

Chinlessness would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What colour is a yeh and what is a neh?

Jet black hair does it for me big time blondes I'm not so mad about, in between it depends on wether the colour suits the face although saying that I seen a guy last week that had silver coloured(dye'd I assume, he was only about 24) hair but his fringe was black and it was sooo hot, I'd have probably hit on him but I reckon I'd have been wasting my time, he was as camp as Christmas :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Long hair, no, short hair, shaved head yes.
    Chest hair must have :D
    I like stubble and had a thing about my ex when he was at the nearly a beard stage :D
    goaties and moustaches no no no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

you forgot dreadlocks, the single sexiest thing a man can do to his hair. actually, i have a few things to screenshot and put in the drooling thread now that i think about it....

first thing i thought when i saw this post was of a friend on another board who loves her men positively apelike as far as hairiness goes. but anyway, ill answer this bit by bit...

Men with long hair - hawt. particularly if well kept (but not too well, obviously). fun to play wiht, plus just ridiculously attractive. maybe it's the rocker in me, but yum... long hair... yum...

Hair product guys - depends how good it smells at the end of the session, and if we're in a rush to go out. i dont like it looking too well kept, im a fan of the grungey look in general, but if there is even a slightly fruity smell off the shampoo/conditioner/whatever... . yum... *daydreams*

Bald/shaved head Men - im not sure what to say. no, not ideally, but my b/f is balding and consequently a really tight cut. im just sad i didnt know him before he was balding and had dreads, which he cut off due to fore-mentioned balding.

Facial hair
    - no unibrows if i can help it, but box beards, goatees, and little trimmed bit under lip are good (b/f has the latter). full beards are bad. stubble is awesome, though so is cleanly shaved. there's a few days in between when it's a bit meh.

Chest hair - i like little bits over the top of the shirt. and a relatively smooth chest. dont like hairy chests in general though. or bellies.

Back hair - yucky, but never actually been with a guy with backhair, so yet to be able to make an informed decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Depends upon the person, both in terms of looks and personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

i have a few things to screenshot and put in the drooling thread now that i think about it....
    :eek:Proof it's not just lads who will objectify attractive members of their gender of choice.:p
    stubble is awesome, though so is cleanly shaved. there's a few days in between when it's a bit meh.
    Crud... knew my facial hair grew faster than normal but this really just makes me feel :( and :eek:
    I've stubble by the end of the day & beard coming along by day 3 of me not shaving (I've never pushed it past that, and that only happened as I was rather busy at the time and a recluse for those few days too:o).

Slightly joking rant about equality for those women who seem to have been arguing in other threads that all the discrimination is men on women and that women are completely innocent of any part of gender bias so feel free to ignore it:):
    I find the way some people here are so anti-men with long hair quite amusing, if women can do it should men not be allowed to also grow their hair long, equality and all that?
    Quite a few of you are talking about trying to get your partners to cut it/change their hair, how would you feel if he tried to get you to get some sort of botox/collagen (only non-serious surgery things I could think of that takes a few months to undo itself), wear make-up (or wear no make up for those who wear a lot) or wear skimpier clothing, or some similar request? Is it not their body and you should respect that if you respect them? One ex of mine had long hair she always tied up, personally I thought she looked nicer with it down but never made any indication of this to her as I knew she liked it up, it was her choice and she shouldn't feel any need to change herself just to make someone else happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

This will not be another gender equality debate.

Farohar, if you wish to discuss that, please start a thread in Humanities.

Keep on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

farohar wrote: »
    :eek:Proof it's not just lads who will objectify attractive members of their gender of choice.:p

id forgotten about that actually! *pulls out dvd* that'll be put up in a couple of days when i have the room to myself and the telly isn't on.
    Crud... knew my facial hair grew faster than normal but this really just makes me feel :( and :eek:
    I've stubble by the end of the day & beard coming along by day 3 of me not shaving (I've never pushed it past that, and that only happened as I was rather busy at the time and a recluse for those few days too:o).

by b/f has a relatively slow beard growth rate, and only arses himself to shave about once a week. i can't really talk for anyone else. i did know a guy who'd have a 5 o clock tache by 11am after shaving that morning for school, but i think he's kinda the exception.

Slightly joking rant about equality for those women who seem to have been arguing in other threads that all the discrimination is men on women and that women are completely innocent of any part of gender bias so feel free to ignore it:)
    I find the way some people here are so anti-men with long hair quite amusing, if women can do it should men not be allowed to also grow their hair long, equality and all that?

but
    they can have their hair long, but women just don't like it (apparently). in my book, it's the same way guys can wear pink. they can wear pink, they can feel good about themselves,a nd that's nice for them. but i will never find it in any way attractive.
    Quite a few of you are talking about trying to get your partners to cut it/change their hair, how would you feel if he tried to get you to get some sort of botox/collagen (only non-serious surgery things I could think of that takes a few months to undo itself), wear make-up (or wear no make up for those who wear a lot) or wear skimpier clothing, or some similar request? Is it not their body and you should respect that if you respect them? One ex of mine had long hair she always tied up, personally I thought she looked nicer with it down but never made any indication of this to her as I knew she liked it up, it was her choice and she shouldn't feel any need to change herself just to make someone else happy.

whoa. i would never go there. ever. if you are with someone, maybe you don't love them yet, but as far as im concerned, there has to be at least some respect there. and if you respect someone, you dont ask for things like that to change. the example you gave there about the hair tied up, i would, i admit, probably mention, but not expect them to act on.

Advertisement