Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mobile broadband

Options
  • 10-02-2008 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

Which of the mobile broadband operators is best for the Dublin area?
    Will be used just around Dublin 99% of the time.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gizo

Anybody :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You might find info in the FAQ at the top of the forum. I use O2 and it's fine, but I'm not in Dublin. O2 and Vodafone give a trial period so best to check them out yourself as user experience can vary.

There's also a Digiweb mobile service, but I don't know anything about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The Digiweb mobile broadband service is available in Fingal and limited areas of the city centre at the moment as part of a trial, so if you'll only be using it there it's something to consider.

I'll let someone else comment on their experiences with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Nobody would beleive me either about the Digiweb Mobile. ;)

If it doesn't suit due to location, the O2 seems to do as expected. 3G (O2, 3, Vodaphone) Not good for gaming or VOIP or Skype or torrents. Email and basic webbrowsing is better than dialup on O2

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fcerullo

hi guys,

i am about to get 02 mobile broadband as the options around my area are really crappy but a friend of mine suggested me that skype, voipcheap will not work properly (or at all) if i choose a mobile broadband provider...

could someone please explain?

thanks!

FC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I both vodafone and three at the moment. I am using the three modem at the moment , it is three pay and at the moment it is quite fine to use and fast. Have the vodafone ,it is not bad, prefer the three one at the moment and am thinking of getting rid of the vodafone one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

fcerullo wrote: »
    hi guys,

i am about to get 02 mobile broadband as the options around my area are really crappy but a friend of mine suggested me that skype, voipcheap will not work properly (or at all) if i choose a mobile broadband provider...

could someone please explain?

thanks!

FC

That's not entirely true. o2 should be fine since the upload is 300k which is enough for VOIP. The latency is reasonable 100-150 which should not present major problems for real time(ish) comms.

If you get Three forget about it, they cap upload at like 64kbps which is too small, especially if you are trying to surf or sharing the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You need very good signal in a low-populated cell for Skype/VoIP to work well, IMO. All 3 3G networks have not given me a decent quality of call (might be OK to call friends for a quick msg, but 30 minutes calls to home or customers aren't reliable). Upload speed is only a tiny factor (latency and QoS are the main barriers).

To answer the OP, o2 wins for reliability of connectivity in rural Clare, urban Dublin and Kildare. Not without flaws (by any stretch!), it was the best of a bad lot (my tests were on o2 for 4 months, Vodafone for 12 months, Three for 1 month).

Advertisement