Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions on who will get relegated from the Premier League

• 10-02-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

It's very close this year.

Derby are definitely gone. Fulham are looking fairly ****ed too.

So we're left with:

Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Sunderland
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Birmingham
    Reading

I don't see Middlesbrough, Newcastle or Sunderland going down.

I think it's going to be Wigan. Looking at their final fixtures:

Chelsea v Wigan
    Wigan v Tottenham
    Wigan v Reading
    Aston Villa v Wigan
    Wigan v Man Utd

I can see them perhaps getting two points maximum from those games.

A few of the other teams, on the other hand, have a few final games which are winnable.

Who do you think is going to get relegated?
    Who would you like to see relegated?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wigan and Reading. Fulham will get out of it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i said reading at the start of the season and im seriously worried for them. they aint spend a penny in the last 2 years and its going to cost them...they needed to by in some players and didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sunderland is my number one preference but I'd love it if Newcastle went, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Fingers crossed its Newcastle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fulham
    Middlesbrough
    Newcastle
    Sunderland
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Birmingham
    Reading

Who would I like to see go down there?
    Fulham and Newcastle.
    Newcastle have too much quality to go down really.
    After Newcastle I'd like to see Boro go down, but I think Boro have too much quality aswell. They are beating the teams around them which is whats important

I think realistically its one from

Sunderland
    Bolton
    Wigan
    Brum
    Reading

I think Keane will keep Sunderland up. I think Bolton have enough in their tank to get out, but without Anelka we're not quite sure yet.

IMO I think it'll be Wigan, but I'd like it to be someone else.
    I really hope its not Reading, I think they play nice football, and I think they've been playing relatively well but are a little unlucky so far, so I think they'll turn it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Bolton, Fulham and Derby WILL be relegated. This discussion is now over. Lock the thread Mr Mod. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Reading have quite a few Irish lads as well so it'd be good if they stayed up...

dublindude wrote: »
    Reading have quite a few Irish lads as well so it'd be good if they stayed up...

So do Sunderland and I'll be damned if I want them to stay up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly Reading are looking ever more likely. Must have -2 goals per game average atm.
    Fulham and Wigan can and will pick up points. Brum are poor - don't see where thier goals will come from. Boro are safe enough esp with the new striker. Sundirelands home form will be enough.

Derby
    Fulham
    Reading/Brum

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

You've got to consider that they've all got 12 games left.
    You can't really predict a fixture like Newcastle V Reading on Apr 5th. The points they pick up in the 6 games before that match, and the enormous pressure of still being in danger with 6 to go has a massive impact on performance.
    I can see Reading picking up maybe 5pts (beat B'Ham and draw 2 of their 3 other home games) and Newcastle about the same. At that point Newcastle's 6 point lead is relatively speaking a bigger lead than now, and puts even more pressure on Reading.

After 6 more games I would predict Boro are safe, Newcastle are borderline,
    and the rest are still plankin' it.
    Probably one of those years when you can survive with a lot less than 40 pts.

36 Boro
    ==============
    33 Newcst
    29 Sunderl'd
    29 Bolton
    27 Reading
    26 Wigan
    ===============
    24 Bir'ham
    23 Fulham
    xx Derby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Xavi6 wrote: »

Why do you want sunderland to go down? The more irish players in the premierleague the better.

And why would anyone want newcastle to go down. I hope kevin Kegan does really well with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Because there are so many teams so close to the drop, i think the safety net will probaby be arounds 35 points.

Reading are bloody awful, i dont know whats going on with them but they cant even get a draw lately and look to be in real trouble.

Sunderland are an awful football team but should stay up based on home form.

I think the bottom three will be:

Reading
    Fulham
    Derby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Derby and Fulham are certainties for me.

I think Wigan will be the third, their last month of fixtures is horrible.

joe123 wrote: »
    Why do you want sunderland to go down? The more irish players in the premierleague the better.

And the less Roy Keane in the Premierhsip the better. I want him to fail and that's why I want Sundireland to go down.
    And why would anyone want newcastle to go down. I hope kevin Kegan does really well with them.

Why? He's a joke of a manager who has once again gone in out of his depth. stupidity shouldn't be rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dublindude wrote: »
    Reading have Hunty, so they damn well better stay up.
    I want them gone too, but I don't think they will. I think Royston has done ok in the Winter Window tbh. Also, Jones is playing and scoring well at the moment.

Nah, I reckon it'll be Derby, Fulham and Bowlton.

And the less Roy Keane in the Premierhsip the better. I want him to fail and that's why I want Sundireland to go down.

Roy keane is only helping the irish team in the long run. He continually signs Irish lads. The more irish lads playing the better.

Why do you hate Roy Keane so much anyways:rolleyes:

And I wouldnt exactly call Kevin Keagan a joke of a manager. You cant expect him to do much at the moment with the amount of tripe newcastle have. Big sam didnt deserve to be sacked but some of the players he brought in were awful.

Roy keane is only helping the irish team in the long run. He continually signs Irish lads. The more irish lads playing the better.

Why do you hate Roy Keane so much anyways:rolleyes:

Ah here look you're obviously not around here much if you're asking that.
    And I wouldnt exactly call Kevin Keagan a joke of a manager. You cant expect him to do much at the moment with the amount of tripe newcastle have. Big sam didnt deserve to be sacked but some of the players he brought in were awful.

Keegan came in thinking he'd be the saviour again and reality has hit after only a couple of games back. He's gotten in too deep and will walk away like he has done from every other job.

Ah here look you're obviously not around here much if you're asking that.

Jesus Im awfully sorry for not logging in every day and reading every post.Im so sorry.

Jesus Im awfully sorry for not logging in every day and reading every post.Im so sorry.

Well you could just look at my sig and see who I support.....

Not everyone has to like him ya know

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Derby(Gone), Fulham and Reading/Wigan/Birmingham will fight it out till the end with Sunderland and Bolton just a bit ahead, and Newcastle/Boro slightly ahead again.

id like Derby, Newcastle and Birmingham

but think it will be Derby, Fulham and... Wigan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Hes a huge City fan. so instead of seing the Man utd captain as a hard ba$tard heroic leader. he just sees him as a ba$tard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

wigan and fulham i think will go but if reading dont pull it around they could be gone.

personally id love to see sunderland go but i think their form at home will get them enough points.

i think derby might be in danger aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sunderland
    Middlesborough
    Newcastle is wat i'd love to see.

never happen though.

Sunderland cause i dislike Roy Keane a tad.
    Middlesborough cause i dislike Southgate a tad.
    Newcastle....so i can laugh at them.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Newcastle....so i can laugh at them.
    Same reason I'd like to see them stay tbh.

Funnier to watch them in the prem than in the first division. I hope they come 17th:)

hhhhmmmmmmmmm, i dunno, still think them going down would be the joke of the year (with Newcastle hiring Keegan again coming second, and them firing Sam coming third!)

and Des dont worry about "Hunty" if they go down, i'm sure Arsenal,Liverpool,Utd and Chelsea will be banging down their down to secure his services! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm going to stick to my pre-season predictions

Derby, Wigan and Brum

Fulham and Reading letting me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

My pre-season predictions were Derby, Fulham and Wigan so I'm close enough to stick to it so far (although I'd nearly replace Wigan with Reading now).

I think Sunderland's home form could be the difference for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who will be going down at the end of the 2007-2008 season
    Derby 1 - 1000
    Fulham 8 - 15
    Birmingham 6 - 4
    Wigan 15 - 8
    Reading 9 - 4
    Sunderland 10 - 3
    Bolton 7 - 2
    Newcastle 8 - 1
    Middlesbrough 12 - 1

Anyone fancy 8-1 Newcastle? They could drop into the bottom 6 if they loose next match to United?

[rant]It's lose, lose.

Why can so many people not spell a four letter word correctly?!![/rant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,695 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

[rant]It's lose, lose.

Why can so many people not spell a four letter word correctly?!![/rant]

Sorry Mr. Oxford, it won't happen again, now put your spelling dick away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon 39 points will be enough to achieve safety. From looking at Newcastle's final games while they are quite tricky I see them getting the necessary points.

Newcastle v Man Utd - 0 points

Newcastle v Blackburn - 1 point

Liverpool v Newcastle - 0 points

Birmingham v Newcastle - 3 points

Newcastle v Fulham - 3 points

Tottenham v Newcastle - 0 points

Newcastle v Reading - 3 points

Portsmouth v Newcastle - 0 points

Newcastle v Sunderland - 1 point

West Ham v Newcastle - 0 points

Newcastle v Chelsea - 0 points

Everton v Newcastle - 0 points

My prediction for their total - 39 points. I had a look at Wigan's list and I would be surprised if they get more than 33. Fulham and Derby are goners in my book.

The way I see it 'King Kev' has to get maximum points from the games with Birmingham, Fulham and Reading and I reckon they will just about manage it. I'm a bit conflicted about Newcastle because part of me would love to see their fans brought down to earth with a bump, but on the other hand I don't want to see guys like Shay Given and Damien Duff having their team relegated. My money's on Wigan being the unlucky third team going down.

Boggles wrote: »
    Sorry Mr. Oxford, it won't happen again, now put your spelling dick away.

Sorry, it's just that word. So many times a day I see it and it just irks me.

I'm not normally a spelling and grammar nazi!

My money's on Wigan being the unlucky third team going down.
    Luck has zero to do with going down. Those that do go down, deserve to go down. The only sad thing is that some of the other shíte won't be gone too.

Why the fúck is the PL not a 18 team competition?

IMO, apart from the top three, this is one of the weakest Premier Leagues (or other top English division) in living memory.

I completely disagree. I think in general, outside of the top 4, there are 8 other teams that have improved dramatically over the last two years. It used to be just top 4 week in week out, but now there is a real fight coming from a lot of the other teams.

Teams like:
    Everton
    Villa
    City
    Portsmouth
    Blackburn
    West Ham
    Spurs

are really very good teams. Indeed Spurs could well do very well in the UEFA Cup.

I think we can see three tiers in English football (with a bit of movement obviously)

Top 4
    ----
    Decent 7
    ----
    Poor 9

But within that poor 9, I think there is still quite a bit of quality, with players like Alves at Boro, Duff and Owen at Newcastle.

Indeed I think the reason the bottom sides have looked so poor this season, and why they are so bad to watch, is because of the increase in quality of the decent 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A lot of people are saying Sunderland's home form will keep them safe and I'd tend to agree. But having looked at their remaining home games I'm not so sure.

23 Feb Portsmouth (A)
    1 Mar Derby (A)
    8 Mar Everton (H)
    15 Mar Chelsea (H)
    22 Mar Aston Villa (A)
    29 Mar West Ham (H)
    5 Apr Fulham (A)
    12 Apr Man. City (H)
    19 Apr Newcastle (A)
    26 Apr Middlesbrough (H)
    3 May Bolton (A)
    11 May Arsenal (H)

I still reckon that they'll stay up but they'll need to improve their away form if they have any chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

40 being the magic number it is going to be an interesting end to the season.

Sunderland seem to have found a small bit of form.

Newcastle are on a slippery slope and need to win a game to boost their moral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I dislike Keane too, but I don't want to see Andy Reid, Daryl Murphy and Liam Miller back in the Championship (a spell in the Championship might do McShane, Stokes and O'Donavan some good).

Personally, having seen Reid's cameo on Saturday and the form of Jones, I think Sunderland will survive.

Unfortunately, I don't see Reading doing as well and I think Wigan and Reading will battle for survival with Fulham and Derby also going down.

Andy Reid was carrying a fair bit of weight though.

I'd say Keane will have him doing some extra tough fitness training.

I think it'd be great for Given if Newcastle got relegated. He might finally move to somewhere where he could win the trophy he deserves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

PHB wrote: »
    I think it'd be great for Given if Newcastle got relegated. He might finally move to somewhere where he could win the trophy he deserves

I can't see it personally, either Newcastle going down or Given leaving.

Reading must have a massive confidence problem at the moment, which is going to be very hard to turn around, although I think Coppel can do it. Fulham just bought players that weren't good enough, as did Sunderland.

I think Derby, Fulham and either Reading or Sunderland will go, dependant on Reading winning one of their next two games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Ultimately I'd like to see Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool go down. Even if it was done Juventus style, I'd love it!

ah Kinaldo, dont cry ;)

Andy Reid was carrying a fair bit of weight though.
    Orly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'd be surprised if Reading go down. They lack the players but in Coppell they have who, in my opinion, is the best manager in the lower half of the league.

To be honest i think it'll stay as it is. I personally think McLeish (with the possible exception of Keane, who its too early to judge really) is the weakest manager in there... so my money will be on Brum.

Advertisement