Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

slow second hand market?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

ive been trying to sell my car for about 3 weeks with no calls? initally i had it priced a little ott but i now have it at a fair price and still no joy. its on here ,autotrader ,carzone,boards and bmw enthusiast sites?

its a mint e36 3 series coupe so im surprised boyracers werent calling up to act the test pilot?

any one else notice that its a slow second hand market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you're not getting calls it's because there is a problem either with the ad or with the price. Why don't you post up a link to the ad, see what people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

It is probably more difficult too to sell a E36 nowadays the E46 can be acquired for a fairly cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There seems to be a similar thread every few days, why hasn't my car sold, nobody has called. Where does the belief that cars sell instantly come from? Three weeks is not a long time to be trying to sell a car, either from a garage or in a private sale, in fact three months wouldn't be that unusual. You can be lucky and sell in less than a week, I've done that, but I've also advertised a car on and off for about 6 months before getting rid. If people aren't prepared to allow a reasonable amount of time for a car to sell, they should just trade it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lots of reasons, a few I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Everyone and their dog is trying to sell their cars privately at the moment.

2. Alot of buyers are getting a better value and better speced car from the UK meaning the market is saturated with second hand cars.

3. Credit is still cheap so people can drive away a 08 car alot easier than before.

4. Sellers tend to over value their cars usually comparing "asking" prices with those of dealers offering warranties, etc.

5. Poor advertising by the seller. Some sellers don't even bother putting photographs in the ad or don't even clean the car for the photos. Vague descriptions, etc. Gives the wrong impression to a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

I feel a lot of private car sales on carzone are being advertised as over priced. I am trying to buy a car for the last 4 weeks, but some of the prices are crazy for a private sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

tell me about it! then when someone tries to trade in a car, and the garage don't offer the same amount as these guys on Carzone are asking, they think the garage is pulling a fast one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

here she is as requested..http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=876665

maybe the price is overcooked a little but i did say open to offers and ive already knocked a grand of the original price which obviously was too much

antway advice appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

number of owners.
    miles.
    no indication of service history.
    personalised plate.

I sold a 97 318is with 75k on the clock for 6k earlier in the year so you might want to lower your price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

quarryman wrote: »
    number of owners.
    miles.
    no indication of service history.
    personalised plate.

I sold a 97 318is with 75k on the clock for 6k earlier in the year so you might want to lower your price.

No interior shots of the car either. Whatya hiding??? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have the GF's car on sale as well. No interest in it as well.

Everyone seems to be buying new these days. I bought second hand 4 years ago. Great car and I love it. Costed me 7k wit 54k miles on the clock it has 116k miles now and still going strong, loan is repaid and I have all the spare cash now to pay for the new house. :D.

• Advertisement

a second hand 318is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

RedorDead wrote: »
    No interior shots of the car either. Whatya hiding??? ;)

IMO every ad should have a few pics of the interior. A lot of cars will look nice and shiny in a photograph after a wash and a bit of wax but I think the interior will really show, if not how well looked after a car is, at least how much effort the seller is willing to put in to selling it.

The E36 interior looks pretty dated now but one or two shots of clean seats, mats and dash will give a good impression. It follows, of course, if your carpets are looking a bit grubby then hire a carpet shampooer and give them the once over, or get them done professionally. If the mats have seen better days, throw in a new set. Better to drop €50 on a set of mats than €500 on the price because yours isn't as clean as the one up the road.

Best of luck with the sale.

Not casting any aspersions on the OP but it does seem as if the motors board is getting used for free ads a lot lately. Under the guise of "why is nobody biting my arm off for this?" there's an increasing amount of carzone links popping up. At least the OP waited until he was asked to post his link, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

there's just a GLUT of stuff out there.........

and its a buyers market......hang in there tho'.........there is someone out there for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Anything over 100k miles is always going to be tough to shift, yours is fairly high mileage compared to a lot of the cars. If I were looking and I was picking who to phone then I'd phone here before yours, same price but almost 40k miles fewer.

It's the same old story - price cheap, sell fast. Price high, sell slow. Set your price and make your choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Anything over 100k miles is always going to be tough to shift, yours is fairly high mileage compared to a lot of the cars. If I were looking and I was picking who to phone then I'd phone here before yours, same price but almost 40k miles fewer.

It's the same old story - price cheap, sell fast. Price high, sell slow. Set your price and make your choice!

€7k plus VRT!
    That's mad altogether Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

No offense, but that number plate on the car and the body kit puts me off straight away. I wouldn't touch a car that has been modified in any way. I know that sounds harsh but that's my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to look again at the price.

Here is a 99 one for similar money:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=865228

This is what you are competing with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

milltown wrote: »
    €7k plus VRT!
    That's mad altogether Ted.

That's what you get when you're lazy and don't read through the ad properly before posting!!

Main point stands though - lower mileage cars are out there for less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

pontovic wrote: »
    No offense, but that number plate on the car and the body kit puts me off straight away. I wouldn't touch a car that has been modified in any way. I know that sounds harsh but that's my thoughts.

ok....but what body kit are you talking about???

My car doesnt have a body kit. it is as it is when it left the factory except the mirrors which were upgraded for the M3 ones?

dont bother saying anything unless you know what you are talking about...point taken about the reg plate, but if you dont recognise that that is what a well (factory)specced e36 looks like you really dont know your Bimmers

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Car in that link above just didnt look right.

CONDITION ALERT DAMAGED FOR: R87EBU BLUE BMW 318 IS

Recorded against VRM
    Recorded on VCAR Category D Insurance Loss. Vehicle Damaged But Repairable - Insurer Decided Not To Repair
    Description BMW
    Date 26/05/2003

Recorded against VRM
    Recorded on VCAR Category D Insurance Loss. Vehicle Damaged But Repairable - Insurer Decided Not To Repair
    Description BMW 318 I S
    Date 13/10/2005

Hpi'd it ^^ written off not once but twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Churchy wrote: »
    Car in that link above just didnt look right.
    Hpi'd it ^^ written off not once but twice.

Wow - didn't see that written in the text for the car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I was talking to a secondhand car dealer the other day. He told me that 5-10k cars are flying out the door, but pricier stuff just isn't moving anymore.

Personally I would think anyone who would spend 7k on an aging 3 series needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

quarryman wrote: »
    a second hand 318is?

Oh your quick

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

paddy316i wrote: »
    Oh your quick

quicker than you, 7 months on with a smart reply:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

copacetic wrote: »
    quicker than you, 7 months on with a smart reply:rolleyes:

Lol, noice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

i too am sitting on my car that i have up for sale. i have been honest in the ad and taken the best pictures i can.

also have reduced the price and am down the bottom of the page for same year / model, pricewise.

any constructive feedback welcome.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/SE/1213683/

paddy316i wrote: »
    Oh your quick

wandered in here not realising i'd even replied to this thread.

I was asking kluivert was he referring to a 318iS.

What are you trying to say exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

old thread resurrected by pointless posts = closed thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement