Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tenants using my name for bills

Options
  • 10-02-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

As the topic goes, I moved out of my previous abode over a month ago. I had to pick up letters today and there was an envelope addressed to me from sky. I open it and it says

17th January 07
    Dear xxxx,

Thanks for getting in touch with sky xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx please fill the attached form with your direct debit details and send to xxxxx

Now I am really PISSED OFF, what else have they put in my name??????????
    I am ringing sky first thing tomorrow to inform them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Why don't you go to the post office and have all your mail directed for the next six/twelve months forwarded to your new address? That way you'll receive any bills which come in for you and you'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

You should definitely check this out as soon as you can.

When I was in college one of the girls in my class moved home during the year. She got someone to move in but her house mates were really pissy about it so when the TV licence inspector called they gave her name and never bothered to get one. The same for the following year. It ended up that she got taken to court for not having one and since she never knew about it she got fined in her absence.

She only found out about it much later and then had to get a solicitor to petition the court to quash the judgement. It was a really sh*tty thing to do and a whole world of hassle for her.

I'm not saying that the new tenants would do this but it's best to get it sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

This scam is growing. What happens is the first month or two after the place is let, the tenants pay their bills direct with the utility company (ESB, Bord Gais, cable TV etc), they then change the name on the bills to the landlords name, it can be six months to a year before the Landlord finds out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ivicia

I'd also suggest you write to Sky by registered letter and inform them when you moved out so no bills to the old address should be in your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Confront them about it. Cancel it if needs be and take the payment from their deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

rb_ie wrote: »
    Confront them about it. Cancel it if needs be and take the payment from their deposit.

He's the previous tennant not the landlord so hes not going to have access to their deposits that has nothing to do with them.

You contact your old landlord and make sure he knows of it first off in case they are up to anything else and get him to take it up with them. I would contact Sky and tell them you dont live at this address and someone has signed up using your name and to cancel all accounts in your name at this address although considering sky shouldnt have got a direct debit form with your details its unlikely it went through. I assume of course you changed your address with your bank at this stage so they dont have any statements lying around with your details.

In my previous house one of the tennants statements were arriving for over a year and at one point a new atm card arrived with the new pin following it on about 2 days later. we snapped it and put it in the bin but could have easily went and used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I was renting the place, and only wanted to pick up my mail today.
    And Axwell, i am female :)

Thanks guys, i am in the process of contacting Sky as we speak.

I rang Sky today, and apparently i ordered sky in March 06?????????? I did order sky, but that was 2years ago and i was told i couldn't get it because of location and i ended up subscribing to NTL.
    Anyways sorted that out and i am sorry for thinking the new tenants are crooks.
    I blame Sky, their customer handling service is the worst ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh Min... you posted this yesterday... yet the details of the letter that you typed out... you wrote 17th January 07 which was over a year ago :D Was that a typo or did you just not notice the letter was sent a year ago? :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I was renting the place, and only wanted to pick up my mail today.
    And Axwell, i am female :)

Thanks guys, i am in the process of contacting Sky as we speak.

Sorry Min i couldnt tell from your name so i took a gamble. Accept my deepest apologies ;)

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    Eh Min... you posted this yesterday... yet the details of the letter that you typed out... you wrote 17th January 07 which was over a year ago :D Was that a typo or did you just not notice the letter was sent a year ago? :D:D
    Sorry it's 2008. And it was a typo

Advertisement