Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber beams

Options
  • 10-02-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I hope this is more relevant here than in woodwork - it relates to interior construction.

I'm going to be building a large amount of wood partitions in a room. They're very basic - mdf 4x8 panels nailed to timber beams built into basic frames. I've gotten a price of €12.56 incl.vat for each 6mm MDF panel, which seems decent enough. However, I'm having a big problem pricing the timber beams. I'm not sure what wood I need but I'd imagine it wouldn't need to be treated or planed. Standard stuff, basically.

They'd be 2"x4" and 8 or 12 foot in length.

Would anybody be able to tell me a rough price per length and where such a price can be found?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Brooks or chadwicks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jubeamal

Carpenter wrote: »
    Brooks or chadwicks :D

That smiley always messes with my head - it's a cheeky grin so I can't tell if you're being genuine or sarcastic. If it's genuine advise, thanks. When I used Chadwicks before I found their prices decent, they never struck me as being the cheapest. Though I'm pretty clueless in this area.

I've to be somewhere tomorrow morning (Monday) and was hoping to do some rough prices by the end of tonight. I can phone some places tomorrow afternoon, if I get back in time, and check what they're charging. In the meantime, if anybody has a vague idea of how much timber beams in those sizes would cost I'd be very very grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

As with attic conversions, make sure that the construction will not be a fire hazard, usually studwork is finished with plasterboard as gypsum is a good fire proofing material, MDF not so much;)

Thanks 250882, unfortunately we have to go with MDF for various reasons. On that note, is there a protective paint or anything that would go someway to reducing the fire risk of wood materials? The partitions will have sockets and wiring and I'd feel much more at ease if we could coat the area around the sockets with a protective coating should there be any sparks, etc.
    Our budget for this project is tiny. We should have a large budget in the second year, enough for us to hope we can rebuild what we did this year with fireproof materials instead. As of now, we will be doing anything we can to avoid the risk of fire, bar having to use MDF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

i think you can buy plaster board much cheaper than you can buy mdf panels

Unfortunately we're still restricted to using MDF for this project, plaster board isn't an option.

Advertisement