Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

year out after the leaving cert?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

just wondering is anyone else hoping to take a year out after the leaving cert before you start college? and do you think it would be hard to find a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

Yep, if if dont get any scholarships or grants.. there is a deffinetely year off for me :)
    If u want to find a job u will have to look in advance, sometimes it could take months to find one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭jujumushu

i did my leaving cert myself last year and took a year out and i have to say it was the worst thing i've ever done. was pretty difficult to find a job and it's a bit of a pain that you're the only one who's not in college. i'd recommend taking a nice holiday after the leaving and then getting stuck in to college,just to get it over and done with. at least do that first year...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

laura-can wrote: »
    i did my leaving cert myself last year and took a year out and i have to say it was the worst thing i've ever done. was pretty difficult to find a job and it's a bit of a pain that you're the only one who's not in college. i'd recommend taking a nice holiday after the leaving and then getting stuck in to college,just to get it over and done with. at least do that first year...:D

agree with this unless your very young entering college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

perhaps a silly question but im a tad confused!!

if you take a year out, how do you apply to colleges the following year?? using the points you got in the leavin the year before??

sorry if it's a silly question just i've never thought of the possibility of doing it so don't know much about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

SRFC90 wrote: »

if you take a year out, how do you apply to colleges the following year?? using the points you got in the leavin the year before??

sorry if it's a silly question just i've never thought of the possibility of doing it so don't know much about it!!

I think if you get offered a place for 2008 you can defer it until 2009.

And yeah you can apply again with your points from 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

SRFC90 wrote: »

As far as I know, when you're offered a place you have the option to defer it for a year.

I'm not taking a year off. But I might take a year off after college before I start looking for a proper job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 crammer123

laura-can wrote: »

hmm i dont know what to do.. some people say its a great thing to do if your young because you will have money then for college and others say its the worst thing ever!:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I did it(twice now) and have mixed thoughts. I got a job in dunnes after the LC and I didn't like it at all. I was saving most of my money so didn't have much to have fun with and living at home in the countryside with no transportation I didn't see my friends much/at all or get out. I did end up with enough cash to pay the rent in first year and not have to work though, which was good.

Now though you will almost certainly find it harder to get work, unemployment is at five percent and will only get higher as the year goes on. I have an arts degree but I haven't been able to find work-I've been unemployed since May, and supposed to return to uni in September. That's all up in the air at the minute due to being unemployed. Of course if you are based in a town that has a lot of jobs going then its a different situation, but think about whether or not living at home for another year is what you want to do. The fact remains though that unless your family is rich you will have to get a job at some stage, whether by taking a year out or working while in college. I hope this helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smiler89

I dont think taking a year out is a clever idea, i am the second youngest of 5, only one of my three older siblings took a year out. He got 505 in the leaving and after it he lived at home, worked for a bit, went travelling (pretty much around th world) and then returned home again with the plan of starting to college last sept...

he lasted a month, the whole year out had totally messed up routine and he found it impossible to get back into the swing of things... he now works in the family pub with no ambitons r plans for the future while all his friends r away enjoyin themselves in college and getting degrees for actual jobs. the two older siblings had told him it was a bad idea but he refused to listen to them nd now he's paying the price... i am sit my leaving in june and will def be starting college in sept/ oct, forget takin a year out you'v the summer long to relax nd besides college doesn sound all that bad!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Took a year out after my Leaving Cert in 2006 and it was the best decision I ever made! I note that I was lucky enough to find a job which I managed to keep until I started in UCC the following year. The reason why I took a year out was due to not being sure of what I really wanted to do. I reapplied for the CAO in 2007 and got my first choice. I personally think if you have the determination and the motivation to go back into the study and education after a year out, you will have no problem settling back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I'm going to go to college first and then take a break. That way if I go abroad I'll have my degree or whatever I can work abroad. But if I were to take a year out - the chances of me coming back and going back into college would be slim.

Advertisement