Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom question about "Max Allowed Speed"

Options
  • 10-02-2008 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

All,

I set up my neighbours router the other night and all looked to be grand (powered on OK, solid DSL light etc...) until I tried to show him the difference between broadband and the dial-up he was using. The thing is that the speed was desperate.

He's on the same 1 meg plan as me. My router stats are:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 31.00 14.50
    Line Attenuation (dB) 33.50 20.00
    CRC Errors 35 0

His are more or less the same except the SN if down at about 12 dB (downstream).

The Max speed though was 160/128. Is this down to the signal/noise being quite low or might it be something else?

Tried the router in two different phone sockets, one of which was the main socket - same results from both.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If the Max. Speed was at 160Kbps (~3 times speed of most, good dial connections) and the SNR reading was at 12dB for that speed, then there is something not right with his line. This could be dodgy wiring/setup or just rubbish copper.

Are you using microsplitters/microfilters on EVERY device that connects to your phoneline, at EVERY socket? This includes ordinary telephones, sky digiboxes, fax machines etc. - each one must plug into a filter, which then plugs into the wall socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Don't worry about it for now. That's the speed eircom set on poor or long lines for the initial set up to get it to sync. An engineer then checks the line for problems. When the engineer is done they start to notch up the speed until they get a stable connection.

If it's still like that after a week or so give them a call. He's a long way from the exchange I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 the_manchine

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Don't worry about it for now. That's the speed eircom set on poor or long lines for the initial set up to get it to sync. An engineer then checks the line for problems. When the engineer is done they start to notch up the speed until they get a stable connection.

If it's still like that after a week or so give them a call. He's a long way from the exchange I'd say.

He actually right next door to me - that's why I thought the it looked wrong given the speed/SN stats I have.

I'll tell him to hang on for a week and see how it goes.

Ta.

Advertisement