Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Frame Question

Options
  • 10-02-2008 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Thinking of replacing my ancient 15" Mountain Bike which has reliably got me through secondary school and college on a daily basis! Obviously far too small for me at 5"11' now!

I know a guy who used to work in Cycleways (unfortunately away at the moment so out of contact) who has said he will put it together for me. But as I said he's away so no help in the selection of the bike.

Thus I just have a couple of questions that I was hoping people might be able to help me with! I've been looking at bikes in the "city" and "hybrid" category as most of my cycling is from Terenure to town so it isn't that difficult a cycle. However, myself and the girlfriend would like to do a bit of cycling on holidays at some stage so would need to be up to that as well.

Don't have very much money so 250ish is the absolute max I can afford. I've been looking in the bike shops around the city and have found the same model hybrid bike (comes with mudguards, flick gears and a carrier - also always in a red frame!) in most shops for about 250 - 290. I don't know exactly what the make of the bike was called but if you are in bike shops regularly you will probably know the kind of bike I mean.

Essentially my question is how does this bike compare to that sort of model? I presume that a large part of the cost of a bike is the labour in putting it together and I would be getting that free. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20676 .

My other question is what size bike do I buy? As I said I'm about 5"10.5' . I notice that the website is sold out of the 21" frame, would a 19" frame do me? I measured the inseam of my leg which I think is relevant and that is 83cm.

Thanks very much for your help :).

The point of buying cheaper online is that then I can afford some extras like panniers for when we go cycling on holidays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Bikes are mostly assembled by the manufacturers, not the bike shops. The bike shops stick on the bars, pedals, etc. and make sure everything is adjusted properly (this is a valuable service, but is always included in the price of buying the bike, it's never an added charge.)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

blorg wrote: »
    Bikes are mostly assembled by the manufacturers, not the bike shops. The bike shops stick on the bars, pedals, etc. and make sure everything is adjusted properly (this is a valuable service, but is always included in the price of buying the bike, it's never an added charge.)

He is planning on buying online, and then getting his mate to assemble it for free. Otherwise he would have to pay a bike shop labour as it is not their bike. This is a good way to go, the savings can be huge online. Though I think wiggle do send them ready assembled and tested, and others might do, but I would expect to pay more since the package would be bigger and would take labour.

OP- there are many online frame size calculators. Your inseam is the important measurement, but it is not the jean size inseam you want. Find a calculator and find what suits. I am 5'11'' and take a 31-32" inseam on jeans. I have a 19" hybrid (dawes too), and 17" MTB. That is also a concern, they recommend bigger frames for road bikes, and small for MTB, hybrids in between. I would be going for the 19" again myself, and seem the same size as you.

http://www.google.com/search?complete=1&hl=en&q=bicycle+frame+size+calculator&aq=f

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Thanks guys!

I bought the Dawes 20Four, very happy with it, was put together today. Just waiting to get my mudguards and lights on it and then I'm ready to speed off!! :D

Advertisement