Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of drive from Dublin Airport to Waterford City

• 10-02-2008 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Will be driving from the Airport at around 8.15am, any idea roughly what time I can expect to arrive in Waterford City?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

About 11:15 give or take especially with traffic on the M50 you could almost add another half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GoodEnough

The norm is 2hr 15min, but the time u leaving at it will be longer cant say exactly how long, but there are a lot of roadworks on the way down and u have go through every town on the way, might be better to go southbound towards wexford, its longer in miles but the road is a lot better only bad part realy is from enniscorthy to new ross,, safe driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I personally think 2hrs 15mins is a bit optimistic myself. I think 2hrs 30mins is more like it if you're lucky with traffic, 2hrs 45mins to 3hrs if you're not. M50 may extend the drive time even further, as has been said.

Personally I avoid the Wexford way at all costs nowadays, but that's only because my car breaks down every single time I use it. Call me crazy, but I swear that route is cursed. Well, it is for me anyway. :p

Actually, in truth, the Wexford route is probably a viable alternative to be honest. You could even take the Passage East car ferry if you wanted to cut a few miles off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

3 hours is a safe expectation. Coast road would be the better option...

benifa wrote: »

Actually, in truth, the Wexford route is probably a viable alternative to be honest. You could even take the Passage East car ferry if you wanted to cut a few miles off!

LOL yes u could take the narrow roads to ballyhack and drive from passage to waterford city on more narrow roads or just stay on the main road and get there in good time and no breakdowns like benifa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

GoodEnough wrote: »
    LOL yes u could take the narrow roads to ballyhack and drive from passage to waterford city on more narrow roads or just stay on the main road and get there in good time and no breakdowns like benifa

There's a main road? Bloody satnav. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That whole Dublin route is changing, so im sure the Sat Nav is rather outdated. I suggest benifa, you head over to the GPS Forum about updating the maps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

benifa wrote: »
    There's a main road? Bloody satnav. :mad:

The normal route (which I would take from the airport) is M50 - N7 at Red Cow (J9) then the turnoff onto the M9-N9. Take that the whole way to Waterford.

The coast road is a good alternative though, and the best option if leaving from south Dublin (Dundrum/Stillorgan/Dún Laoghaire). You'd follow the M50 all the way down until it turns into the M11-N11, then in Enniscorthy take the N30 to New Ross, and from there the N25 into Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

if you are feeling really really brave you can turn off the M50 at the N3, Cavan.. Trim - summerhill Enfield Naas back onto the M7 - skips the worst of the M50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

GoodEnough wrote: »
    The norm is 2hr 15min

Not from the airport, from the Red Cow maybe

You don't say what day you're arriving. If it's a weekday, you could easily be looking at 40+ minutes on the M50 to get to the M7 as you're slap bang in the middle of rush hour/school run. There're also a couple of sets of roadworks on the way as well to add to the fun. I'd take it as doing quite well if you do it in less than 3 hours.

• Advertisement

JMcL wrote: »
    Not from the airport, from the Red Cow maybe.

Ok I do this drive early in the mornin when theres no traffic :)

Advertisement