Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Stable is Vista

• 10-02-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Keep hearing all these horror stories about vista. How stable is it now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

I've been running it for 6 months and I find it fine its a rare occasion I get a crash but I dont like it I'd still go with XP SP2 possibly SP3 when its released public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

sp 1 was released or is soon to be. I dont have vista but they were talking about a kernel upgrade in sp1. Wait for a couple of reviews of the patch before you make ur decision. Else go for ubuntu and get some virtualization software ;) (that's insecure anyway)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Running it np for months its better than Xp in a lot of ways secuirity been a main one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's fine. No crashing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

yerp positive here too... no major crash or hit and run... :D

Marty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I love it...

Might be slow on lowly pc's, but if you have a decent setup its much better than Xp imo,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

18months, 1 blue screen caused by the raid failing.

If you got a decent machine i'd definately go with it, else go with XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    If you got a decent machine i'd definately go with it, else go with XP.

What would you class as decent spec wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

What would you class as decent spec wise?

A P4 3.x+ or Dual Core with 2GB of RAM and you will be grant for day to day use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

ive had vista since before it was out, n ive never had a single crash or stability issue, now ive got sp1 on it n its still smooth as butter. its pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Another vote here , its as solid as a rock at present , crashes ? What are they ?

It had plenty of driver issues on release , that was a pain , and probably the cause of all its bad press , but its a flyer now , I have to use clunky old XP at work and it annoys me , cant wait till Vista is rolled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

mathias wrote: »
    Another vote here , its as solid as a rock at present , crashes ? What are they ?

It had plenty of driver issues on release , that was a pain , and probably the cause of all its bad press , but its a flyer now , I have to use clunky old XP at work and it annoys me , cant wait till Vista is rolled out.

While I would vote for Vista being stable, I would hardly call XP clunky in comparison, especially when under the hood they are much the same architecturally.

I find it an unremarkable update of XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

for all the problems reported in vista, the OS itself is quite stable from what i've experienced. as already said, if you can, hold off until SP1 is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have installed Sp1, no noticable difference. You do need high end cpu and at least 2 gig of RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

0 crashes so far, had it 9 months now. :) (touch wood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I've found that SP1 has dramatically sped up LAN file transfers. I'm getting about 40% more throughput on my wireless LAN since installing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I will echo everything said above, no crashes or anything here, solid out.. I have heard that some people have had trouble with Vista & certain computer games, but it's been all good here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There were many issues in the pre-release/beta versions of Vista, but since they released the full version there have not been that many issues. I have had it since it hit the shelves and have had no issues with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Better looking some nifty new desktop tools (in ultimate anyway)stable and above all much better tools for imaging and installation(PE 2.0)

If I have a gripe its with connecting to a wireless lan on bootup but this could be just isolated to my build.

Advertisement