Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH getting too strict

Options
  • 10-02-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Very true, people are being banned and cautioned for comments.
    Are we turning AH into PI?????
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes, yes we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I was banned for saying poor people are generally scumbags; AH has always been ''strict'' well at least in the past year. If you want a non strict forum go for the Atheist forum.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You got it the wrong way round: scumbags are generally poor. And you KNOW what you said was offensive and trollish, there's no way you can argue it wasn't.

OP, maybe it's not that AH is getting stricter, maybe it's more that AH posters are getting nastier and more obnoxious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

After Hours used to be a lot more strict. I once got banned for something someone else said! That used to be acceptable mod behavior.

IMO Dudess is being fair.

Saying women deserve to be degraded if they're a bit "slutty" should be unacceptable talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Threads on Sex or Sexuality
    - There is a seperate forum to discuss this now, this forum requires a subscription for access. Any threads on these topics will be locked on sight. Repeat offenders will be banned

I've posted this on the thread in question in AH. In my opinion
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055233712

and possibly

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234191

should both be locked and deleted from the after hours forum. As a public forum it's open to being viewed by younger viewers and users of boards, and the whole point of the above element of the charter was to prevent this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It is tough to get the balance right sometimes but the mods only step in when a post has been reported by others most of the time.

S&S is for mostly serious chat so I wouldn't have moved them.

Dudess wrote: »
    You got it the wrong way round: scumbags are generally poor. And you KNOW what you said was offensive and trollish, there's no way you can argue it wasn't.

OP, maybe it's not that AH is getting stricter, maybe it's more that AH posters are getting nastier and more obnoxious...

If someone is using Boards, I very much doubt they could find it offensive to be honest. My logic is you could walk through my area without being hassled, you walk through the working-class estate next to mine and there is a good chance someone will start on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Duddess and Terry do a good job.

Incidently, I think they'd make a lovely couple. The eventual kids could mod AH too!:p

Should all threads with sexual content be closed? If they were, people would be going crazy saying the mods are way too strict.

So the mods allow threads with some sexual chat, and then certain people take the piss.

Posting on boards.ie is like shouting in public - you're telling the world your opinion on things.

Do you honestly think it's acceptable to tell the world the hilarious story of how you degraded a girl? This is scumbag behaviour and should not be tolerated or, ffs, applauded like so many boards.ie users seem to be doing.

I agree DublinDude, the mods do a good job. Having read that thread some of the comments were a joke.

• Advertisement

If someone is using Boards, I very much doubt they could find it offensive to be honest. My logic is you could walk through my area without being hassled, you walk through the working-class estate next to mine and there is a good chance someone will start on you.

I find you offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I don't know about moving the thread to S&S, it was light hearted and entertaining. But i'm glad they split out all the BS that was going on in it to another thread. Take that argument to humanities as far as i'm concerned. The warning given was deserved.
    The AH mods are doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Very true, people are being banned and cautioned for comments.

Hang on, banned and cautioned "For comments"? Is there a new rule in AH that says "No comments under any circumstances"? Is there a new infraction for "Posting a comment"? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I read the thread and replies twice just so I made sure I was reading properly, after Mairt posted the discussion changed and replies were a tad bit too serious for AH. The thread was to take the piss, he posted, and you don't like his reply-get on with it! Let’s not turn it into a debate, we all know Mairt (bouncer, martial arts, a bit racists e.t.c.) Was that a shocking reply from him? I don't think so, I am not surprised! That said Dudess and Dublindude kept ranting about morals e.t.c.
    We are different individuals and we have different views on life, as long as we don’t impose it on others there shouldn’t be a problem!

Hang on, banned and cautioned "For comments"? Is there a new rule in AH that says "No comments under any circumstances"? Is there a new infraction for "Posting a comment"? :rolleyes:

The Hungus wit is out in full force today, isn't it?

Yes the problem is Mairt IS enforcing his morals on others. He physically degraded a girl.

Dudess and I are saying that isn't acceptable. We are not physically forcing anyone to do anything.

He's physically degrading someone through the Internet on after hours? He didn't force that girl to do anything. I call moral high horse on this one. People have meaningless casual sex with people they don't respect or know all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

The story could be a tale for all you know(i am not choosing sides), if it's not then it's his story and experience. And when DaveMg commented a Mod warned him e.t.c
    jeez, you would think we were in prep school/work/boarding school.

Boston wrote: »
    He didn't force that girl to do anything. I call moral high horse on this one.

Have you read his post?

He forced the girl (she had no choice) into doing a sex show in front of a group of guys.

Did you read the post? I see no mention of physically forcing anyone to do anything.

• Advertisement

She did not choose to participate in the sex show. She was not given the option to say no.

You don't have to physically hold someone down to force them to do it. She was forced into the act by lack of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dublindude wrote: »
    Yes the problem is Mairt IS enforcing his morals on others. He physically degraded a girl.

Dudess and I are saying that isn't acceptable. We are not physically forcing anyone to do anything.

Now the thread doesn't bother me, neither do Dudess's comments. I

But suggesting that I forcefully done anything physical to a girl is something I take extrem exception to and I'd appricate you either clearing that up or retracting the statement.

Personally I think some people chose to take offence in that thread, and yes Dudess did and I think that clouded her judgement as a Mod. It wasn't only me she turned on, other's got it too (disposing of condom's and respecting other people's property).

The threads IMO should be locked or deleted, too many people are going to fall out with each other. Its not worth it guys.

She did not choose to participate in the sex show. She was not given the option to say no.

You don't have to physically hold someone down to force them to do it. She was forced into the act by lack of choice.

LOL, your another one who loves to take things out of context.

Re-read the bloody thing, some 'licence' was taken with the story :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Hry, who decides what is not acceptable??? i got banned for saying somethig general about teachers!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Mairt wrote: »
    But suggesting that I forcefully done anything physical to a girl is something I take extrem exception to and I'd appricate you either clearing that up or retracting the statement.

Did you ask the girl before you forced her to participate in the sex show?

If you did, I apologise, but your original post never stated anything close to that.
    The threads IMO should be locked or deleted, too many people are going to fall out with each other. Its not worth it guys.

I agree.
    Re-read the bloody thing, some 'licence' was taken with the story :rolleyes:

You should have mentioned that initially!

Did you ask the girl before you forced her to participate in the sex show?

If you did, I apologise, but your original post never stated anything close to that.

Thats what we call a loaded question. Forcing someone to perform a sexual act is a crime. You're making criminal accusations in this thread. I suggest you go lie down for a while.

Well the thread has went from a light hearted topic to bullying.

I feel now that no matter what I say I'll be bullied.

I'd like to leave it now guys.

I don't think Mairt sexually assaulted the girl (I have never said that) so please don't put words in my mouth. I said she did not agree to participate in the sex show. I have no idea if that's legal or illegal. It's certainly wrong.
    Mairt wrote:
    I'd like to leave it now guys.

OK. I've said all I can say on the matter anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MIN2511 wrote: »
    The thread was to take the piss
    Yeah, and then people started posting about what horrible things they did in order to get their hole and people act as if it's normal when they know it's not but they'll look uncool if they say that, so I pointed it out. Threads go off on a tangent like that all the time. Someone started a thread "what criminal activities did you get up to when you were a kid" a few months ago and people were posting appalling stuff and others were calling them scumbags etc, but it's ok to be inconsiderate and even to damage property in this case because you're getting to have sex... :rolleyes:
    Dudess and Dublindude kept ranting about morals e.t.c
    Actually no, I never once mentioned morals. I don't think sex and morality should have anything to do with each other. It's not the sex in this case, it's the disregarding of people's property. And yes, the sex between young children I find problematic too, but that's because it is really sad and I'm finding it's becoming too normalised - this loss of innocence so early.
    Boston wrote: »
    People have meaningless casual sex with people they don't respect or know all the time.
    Course they do - lots of us have. But we don't secretly show it to a bunch of mates for the laugh. And we don't refer to those people in a derogatory, nasty manner afterwards. In particular, we don't feel disgust towards them for doing something which we gladly complied with.

• Advertisement

I never said sexual assault.

Advertisement