Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH getting too strict

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    However I regard the activities of the Paganism crowd as somewhere between Scientology and Creationist Nazism, with a bit of oul Fred Phelps thrown in (minus the hate. Just the utterly insane part)

LOLSPANNER

spanner_cap_300_rfpwo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Karoma wrote: »
    Admittedly I skimmed through much of this thread but ,um, WTF has this got to do with the original topic?

OP: Don't be an ass - cite more examples. True AH style Feedback thread - an absurd generalisation based on next to nothing... B+ only. Still, good work from a Nov 2007 re-reg? ;)

As for the general "YARLY! THEY BANNED ME FOR HAVING BLONDE HAIR!!!1!" - shut up or put up (Politely translates as: go start another thread and we can discuss what you did and why you were banned. Rest assured, if you're just wasting more of our time... it'll be one of your last opportunities.)
    Right, i shouldn't be an ass? There was no need to give examples everyone on this thread EXCEPT for you noticed the banter about the Mairt story.
    I should have also added, that AH is boring these days. I guess the Mods are doing their job alright!
    And you can't come in on the 6th page and tell me that! Unless I am wrong you are not MODING feedback!

I bet the next time I post on AH I would be banned! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

terrible is too small a word Father

I think all topics that involve bragging about sexual exploits should be held in the s&s forum. Although will the necessity to pay a registration fee impede the working classes from contributing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

As per the OP, too strict I don't think so.

However, in the context of the thread that seems to have sparked it, [Apologies for the comment made in the thread yday] yes I do feel that Dudess was in the wrong (a)in threatening Mairt with a banning for his initial post which, considering it was AH, had an element of poetic license to it & (b) the moral high stance taken with posts afterwards. A mod is there to foster discussion, not force the discussion on how they want it to go.

So what if there are a bucket load of lies in the thread? It's in AH and supposed to be humourous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Right, i shouldn't be an ass? There was no need to give examples everyone on this thread EXCEPT for you noticed the banter about the Mairt story.
    I should have also added, that AH is boring these days. I guess the Mods are doing their job alright!
    And you can't come in on the 6th page and tell me that! Unless I am wrong you are not MODING feedback!

I bet the next time I post on AH I would be banned! :)
    You find AH boring?
    Why don't you do something to make it less boring?

AH is what you make it.
    Don't just go in expecting to be entertained. Everyone has to bring something to the table.

I'll leave it to WhiteWashMan to sort you out when he logs in.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Right, i shouldn't be an ass?
    It's generally considered a Bad(TM) thing to be an ass.
    There was no need to give examples everyone on this thread EXCEPT for you noticed the banter about the Mairt story.
    ONE poster/thread/issue does not make a forum "too strict" or too anything. Only an ass would over-generalise to that extent.
    I'm contributing a typical AH/Feedback contribution - y'know, the cannotbearsedreadinthethreadthoroughlybeforereplying thing? You don't recognise it? but I was being predictable...
    Otherwise, what was your point?

Terry wrote: »
    You find AH boring?

Yes, it's my opinion and the last i checked i am entitled to one :)
    Why don't you do something to make it less boring?

That topic was supposed to be class, that was before the topic became "Mairt"
    AH is what you make it.
    Don't just go in expecting to be entertained. Everyone has to bring something to the table.

I realise that but then i noticed that once someone has an opinion they seem to get banned!
    I'll leave it to WhiteWashMan to sort you out when he logs in.
    Best of luck.

Ha, am i supposed to be scared now.... He's going to ban me from AH because i have an opinion :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The way I see it is AH is like reading, if you actually think about it, of course it is boring, but if you can look past the initial stages you will quickly become enthralled by it.

It's generally considered a Bad(TM) thing to be an ass.

ONE poster/thread/issue does not make a forum "too strict" or too anything. Only an ass would over-generalise to that extent.

I'm contributing a typical AH/Feedback contribution - y'know, the cannotbearsedreadinthethreadthoroughlybeforereplying thing? You don't recognise it? but I was being predictable...
    Otherwise, what was your point?
    Can you be more legible when typing, i had to wear my goggles to read
    "cannotbearsedreadinthethreadthoroughlybeforereplying thing?"

And i used that thread as an example

I realise that but then i noticed that once someone has an opinion they seem to get banned!

Ha, am i supposed to be scared now.... He's going to ban me from AH because i have an opinion :rolleyes:
    Hmmm. AH bores you... try Conspiracy Theories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

kaimera wrote: »
    I do feel that Dudess was in the wrong (a)in threatening Mairt with a banning for his initial post which, considering it was AH, had an element of poetic license to it & (b) the moral high stance taken with posts afterwards.
    Theres waaay too much mysoginism in AH these days, and its about time someone put the shoe in, IMHO. It was mildly funny at first, but now its just grating.

Mairt's post was well out of order, chortling about making some girl look like a fool (and she probably doesn't know about it to this day) while getting blown, and its fairly stereotypical of the crap floating to the surface in there.

Most of his posts are decent, mind you, but I'd expect to (and have been) smacked down if I get out of line myself. Why would the rules be any different for him?

Can you be more legible when typing, i had to wear my goggles to read
    "cannotbearsedreadinthethreadthoroughlybeforereplying thing?"
    "Poetic license".
    And i used that thread as an example

Again, ONE example is not enough to claim a forum is too anything.

Since you have a rather simple mind/view: I did not mean I'll ban someone for giving Feedback. I will not ban anyone for giving any sort of feedback. I obviously never had/have a problem with feedback. I have a problem with lying gits twisting the truth to make out that they were banned unfairly or whatever and wasting everyone's time. Don't be one of them. Don't be an ass.

"Poetic license".

Again, ONE example is not enough to claim a forum is too anything.

Since you have a rather simple mind/view: I did not mean I'll ban someone for giving Feedback. I will not ban anyone for giving any sort of feedback. don't be an ass.
    Jeez dude, wth... give a chick a break!
    :)
    Last time i checked i am not a poet.....
    I guess since you mod AH you are taking this personal!

Hmm; I think i might start a thread about Mods' taking AH too personal :)

Jeez dude, wth... give a chick a break!
    :)
    Last time i checked i am not a poet.....
    I guess since you mod AH you are taking this personal!
    You guessed wrong.
    /wanders' off wondering how often can one person be wrong without being an ass'?

Hmm; I think i might start a thread about Mods' taking AH too personal :)
    Why not? Every other thread you create has' been simply marvellous'.

Theres waaay too much mysoginism in AH these days, and its about time someone put the shoe in, IMHO. It was mildly funny at first, but now its just grating.

Isn't the general reply "Don't like it, don't read it"?

Isn't the general reply "Don't like it, don't read it"?
    Thats not licence to unload whatever congeals in the oul' bone box regardless, though, is it?

Thats not licence to unload whatever congeals in the oul' bone box regardless, though, is it?
    No, but it still stands.

You don't like what's been posted, report it otherwise don't let it bother you.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I dunno, maybe you enjoy eating bodily waste.

Something I wish I hadnt read is that women giving birth often drop one during it.

Hey, its a part of the miracle of childbirth. Lets eat :eek: :eek:

Although unreligious, I can respect the beliefs of any of the major religions as long as they are not extremist, sectarian or pushing their opinion on me.

However I regard the activities of the Paganism crowd as somewhere between Scientology and Creationist Nazism, with a bit of oul Fred Phelps thrown in (minus the hate. Just the utterly insane part)

How much do you actually know about Paganism??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I dunno, maybe you enjoy eating bodily waste.
    The placenta isn't bodily waste like sh1t. And if sh1t does end up on it, I'm sure it would be washed before being cooked and eaten.
    chump wrote: »
    I think all topics that involve bragging about sexual exploits should be held in the s&s forum.
    No way. The S&S forum is a forum where people aren't sexually repressed and have a healthy outlook on sex. Going along with the crowd and bragging are alien to that particular forum. And as a poster there, I'd be saddened to see some sexually repressed guy on a rant about how "I popped my cherry when I was 13 and got sucked off by a dirty slapper, it was deadly. We fukked the used condom into our neighbour's living room" etc.
    However, in the context of the thread that seems to have sparked it, [Apologies for the comment made in the thread yday] yes I do feel that Dudess was in the wrong (a)in threatening Mairt with a banning for his initial post which, considering it was AH, had an element of poetic license to it & (b)
    A few months ago on a thread about animal testing, some now sitebanned gobshyte was posting about how only pussy hippies would have a problem with cruelty to animals and he had no problem with seeing x form of torture being carried out on y animal. Terry rightly gave him a warning.
    Same applies here. It was offensive to women, that's why I warned Mairt.
    the moral high stance taken with posts afterwards. A mod is there to foster discussion, not force the discussion on how they want it to go.
    It was turning very ugly indeed - some horribly misogynistic stuff being posted and bravado about trespassing and littering and nobody said anything, so I did. I was not trying to steer it in a particular direction, I was simply giving my opinion. I admit I can be forceful in expressing my opinion, but that's just me. There are a lot of very sexually repressed posters on AH and I don't think it's right to be complicit in the normalisation of such behaviour and such an outlook on sex.
    So what if there are a bucket load of lies in the thread? It's in AH and supposed to be humourous.
    It did not turn out one bit humorous. Yes, some posts were humorous but they were overshadowed by the offensive ones.

No, but it still stands.
    Not really. You can't post whatever you like and tell people to look elsewhere if they are offended or upset by that.

As regards the general mysogyny, memes have likewise been successfully put down in AH before - I don't see too many "yore ma" posts any more, for example.
    You don't like what's been posted, report it otherwise don't let it bother you.
    Well which is it, ignore it or report it? Initially you seemed to be saying if someone didn't like it, they should go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Personally I think that we should have sympathy with any poor soul who decides to moderate a forum the size of AH. With each new mod comes a slight variant in what are basically the same threads, all the time, on a 3 to 6 month cycle.
    There are a lot of gender bashing posts, on both sides, and many generalisations spouted. I can imagine it would be hard for someone as guaranteed to have an opinion as the likes of me or dudess to take a step back when things seem to be going downhill fast.
    But on the other hand, downhill fast is the general direction of AH anyway. Most users cut their teeth in there and then wonder off to the other fora for some more specific chat with a smaller group of people that it is possible to create some sort of bond with. I just see any evil modship of AH as a necessary evil. I often wish some mods had more power to just make a judgement call and ban users (like me) for douchebag posting, even if the charter hasn't been infringed. Like an immediate act to save the rest of us from reading a load of uneducated text speak trolling ****e. But failing the implementation of idiocy banning, its probably best to not argue with those with the fewest braincells, or we will end up, like this, on page 7 of a feedback thread, without any goddamn cat pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Plan_D

You lot ^^

Make me feel like hanging on to the edge of humanity is a futile thing.

Remember please. Internet:Serious business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

on page 7 of a feedback thread, without any goddamn cat pictures.

Its page 8, and I would have gone looking for lolcats around the time esteban appeared if on my own internet connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh, we have a troll in our midst! Welcome!

Anyway, I have to say, in general, AH posters are really cool people. There is only a small number of idiots. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I would have been the coolest if given the chance.

*cries*

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh, we have a troll in our midst! Welcome!

Anyway, I have to say, in general, AH posters are really cool people. There is only a small number of idiots. :)

Wait till you see WEB 3.0

it gets real good then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Dudess wrote: »
    And as a poster there, I'd be saddened to see some sexually repressed guy on a rant about how "I popped my cherry when I was 13 and got sucked off by a dirty slapper, it was deadly. We fukked the used condom into our neighbour's living room" etc.

Don't worry, that will never happen. Any thread that gets moved over or started in S&S with content like that will be locked or deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

fits wrote: »
    Its page 8, and I would have gone looking for lolcats around the time esteban appeared if on my own internet connection.
    Did you not see my Lolspanner? Have you people no originality? /Stomps off grumbling...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I are in your AH thredds changin my name to General misogyny.
    Kneel before the General.
    And open your mouth.

Its this sort of posting I dont appreciate in AH. Dont like it not one bit so I dont.

• Advertisement

I are in your AH thredds changin my name to General misogyny.
    Kneel before the General.
    And open your mouth.

Its this sort of posting I dont appreciate in AH. Dont like it not one bit so I dont.

ok so.

Advertisement