Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of German unification in the 1950s?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

Hi! I was reading a book by Noam Chomsky, Hegemony or Survival:America's Quest for Global Dominance, and he mentioned that Stalin was in favour of a United Free Germany, so long as it didn't sign up NATO. I think the year was around 1951, or 1952.

How genuine was this proposal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that all of the countries in Central and Eastern Europe were all promised elections etc, but the KGB worked extra hard to ensure that the Communists took over as a result of these "democratic" events. Stalin's united and free Germany would have gone the same way. I suppose the reason he didn't go for this was that Britain, The US and France were entrenched in their respective Allied sectors in West Germany and Berlin and wouldn't have been shifted without substantial force.

Advertisement