Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista tips

• 10-02-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have to configure a pal's laptop for her.

It has 2GB ram, running vista.

What tips would offer for a basic family laptop setup?

What should I turn on / off

Any comments or help welcome

Thanks

Barney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just disable User account control cos it'll drive her mad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

security - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009 for more tips and links
    Antivirus
    firewall - there is a basic one free of zonealarm
    malware tools

Ask what she wants to do with it and install basic software to do that
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231147 - a bit out of date but good starter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

turn off all indexing! drives me bananas when the hard0drive is constantly being raped.

jus type in "indexing options" into the search bar on the menu. go to "modify" and untick everything until there is nothing left in the window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Limit the size of System Restore to 3%.

Set defragmenter to automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Personally I wouldn't turn of UAC.

Get TweakUAC and set it to silent mode.

Stops the prompts but UAC will keep doing it's thing in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

kaimera wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't turn of UAC.
    +1
    Bad news to disable a security feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What I would do:

1. Remove Norton/McAfee anti virus (if present) and replace with Avast! or Avg.

2. Ensure everything is fully updated (using windows update)

3. Clear out unnecessary start up programs. (hit start - type msconfig and press enter, and go to the startup tab to see full list of startup programs, use sysinfo's webpage to see what is needed)

4. I would not turn off UAC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dulpit wrote:
    3. Clear out unnecessary start up programs. (hit start - type msconfig and press enter, and go to the startup tab to see full list of startup programs, use sysinfo's webpage to see what is needed)
    don't forget the decrapifier !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

dulpit wrote: »
    What I would do:

1. Remove Norton/McAfee anti virus (if present) and replace with Avast! or Avg.

Will AVG work with ok with Vista?

The laptop in question has Norton 360 on it.
    It's heavy duty stuff, is AVG up to the same level of protection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Will AVG work with ok with Vista?

The laptop in question has Norton 360 on it.
    It's heavy duty stuff, is AVG up to the same level of protection?

I use Avast! and it works great... Norton slows your computer big time... (or at least i found that anyways...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

dulpit wrote: »
    I use Avast! and it works great... Norton slows your computer big time... (or at least i found that anyways...)

Agreed.

Advertisement