Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying a cat to America?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

A friend has just left the old country for far Amerikay.

It was her intention to bring her cat with her, and she was given a set of rules - the cat had to be tested by a vet for, umm, something, 48 hours before, had to fly in an airline-approved cat carrier, with supplies of food and water and identifying papers, etc.

Then, the day before she flew, the airline told her that Chicago, the airport she was flying into and out of again to make a connection in the US, was too cold, and they couldn't fly her cat.

(Her flight was Dublin-Chicago-San Francisco.)

So it may be that I'll have to fly over with the cat in a month or so - or it may be that we'll have to ship the cat by herself.

Has anyone flown with a cat from Ireland to the US? What about shipping a cat to the US by herself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

funny, the excuses the airlines use these days...

We had exactly the same problem (friends of mine who were to bring their cat with them to the States), and the airline told them that "due to unforeseen circumstances the cargo hold was not heated" (which then turned out to be complete BS after my friend rang the airline to complain) - so they had to leave the poor cat with their dad in Ireland (who luckily stayed on until they were checked in), and that's how I ended up with my cat ;-)

I would accept no BS excuses and cause A LOT OF hassle with the airline if the cat *has* to go to the States.

Advertisement