Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Restoring Black Plastic Trim

Options
  • 10-02-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

The black plastic trim on my car has faded, not completely but there is a greyish look to it now(stands out cause the car is black).

How do I restore this? I've heard about using the heat gun but if anybody had any other suggestions I'd appreciate it. e.g any good products.
    Cheers,

Joey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

any motor factor will have a can of "back to black" for you..............and apply with a rag.

enjoy !

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Try Halfords for Meguiars gold class trim detailer. I used it on my old BMW and it worked a treat. You have to keep applying it every few weeks though, but a great product all the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

http://www.conceptchemicals.com/concept/catalog/index.php?page=product&type=6&subcatid=30 (@Team PR Reilly, Dublin)

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.htm#bumper (online)

Tyre & bumper gels as mentioned will only last a few weeks so better to do the job right than have to keep doing it over and over again. When you have it right then keep it protected every so often with a plastic protectant to stop it from fading again.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Thanks for that guys. I hate the look of the faded colour!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Actually of your going to Pr Reillys there is a concept product which is fairly new called Vista. It was formulated to correct faded plastic. You apply it with an applicator pad and it has to be allowed to cure over night. It is a semi permanent solution much better then Back to black or any trim dress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 bat77

Baby oil ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

I love trim!

bat77 wrote: »
    Baby oil ;)

Does this really bring back the colour? People have told me to use that before but I wasn't too sure on the idea! You used it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Auto-Glym Bumper Black is good for bringing back the colour of faded plastics. Failing that you could prime it with plastic primer then paint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

joey54 wrote: »
    Does this really bring back the colour? People have told me to use that before but I wasn't too sure on the idea! You used it before?

Baby oil will work short term; looks fantastic until it rains when it all runs off or until the sun shines when it softens and it all runs off again!

Trim detailer does the same but is (slightly) less temporary. A quick rub with Meguiars Trim Detailer after washing makes all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Why dont you just get it sprayed black.

If you use Back to Black on it a few times and then decide to go and spray the trim, the paint wont stick right. Go to a scrap yard, buy the trim, spray it and then fit it to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

A friend of mine had this stuff called silk sheen, and I have tried all the rest and this was the best I have ever seen. Great on plastics, spray it on tyres and it removes tar from paint. I would advise anyone to try it. I think that it is a professional product for car valet .
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silk-Sheen-For-That-Subtle-Interior-Surface-Finish_W0QQitemZ330210576063QQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I know a guy who used to use engine oil :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

"back to black"
    +1

Get it in Tesco for €5.99 for a big can. Use several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't waste your money on Back to Black it doesn't last
    Use smooth peanut butter - I'm serious it's a valeter's secret ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I hear back to black is alcohol based :)

I'm going to look into the more longer lasting ones. The thought of having to do the ''back to black'' every couple of weeks seems like a pain and I can see myself not keeping it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

*Stocks up on peanut butter* :)
    Actually will try this one - if it works great, if not - no harm done to car. Will just wash off.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I hear back to black is alcohol based :)
    Alcohol, crack and smack based. No way at all to rehabilitate your trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Black Permanent Marker. ;):D

I have the same problem, door handles look ok but the side strips are grey now.

Would you consider having the black parts sprayed the same colour as the rest of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

Had same issue on Volvo 850, used a heat gun on it, came back to new colour, not faded since.

Better than peanut butter, olive oil, or baked beans !

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

VHT Vinyl Dye is the real deal.
    It chemically changes the color of the plastic trims,rather than just painting the surface.
    It was recommended by lads from California (loads of sunshine fading trims),who restored extremly faded dashboards etc. with this stuff.
    Even after a couple of years the dash looked like new (this particular car was a 89 CRX).
    I've found only one place in Europe (a german webshop) who had in stock a couple of month ago,and they shipped it to Ireland:

http://www.sf-custom-parts.com/shop/product_info.php?info=p212_VHT-Vinyl-Dye-Black-Satin.html

I had no chance to try it yet on my car,but last weekend I painted the front panel of my computer case.I used only one layer but the result was amazing.The plastic just absorbed the paint.I tried to scratch it with my nails it didn't leave mark like on painted surfaces.
    Comes in different colors so you can even change the color of your whole interior if you bored with it :)

ps:The heatgun trick really works :)

Advertisement