Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post your Waterford restaurant reviews here..

• 10-02-2008 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

So here's the idea.. You go to a restaurant in Waterford and you found it nice/ok/awful. Why not share the information??

Keep the info short and sweet! It'll make it easier to browse through.

I'll kick off...

The Spinnaker in Dunmore (a little far out I know).. Saturday 2nd Feb.. 2 people.. 3 courses each, €80 including a tenner tip because service was really good.

Food was lovely, lots of it - Not too posh, plenty of space, and the fish cakes for starters rocked my world.

Would certainly go back again soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Trotter - do you want just City or Ciddy and County ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Emilianos top class, been there twice since Christmas and each time it has been top class.

Only downside I can think off though is, its very hard to get a reservation for a Saturday night unless you book ahead. I had to book ahead for the 1st March only last week and I was only lucky to get a booking

The Bistro on Patrick street is also very nice and very reasonable too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Junior wrote: »
    Trotter - do you want just City or Ciddy and County ?

Well I agreed with Sully that'd we'd keep it to city, but I figured Dunmore would be ok because its only a 15 minute drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Fitzpatricks manor lodge on the cork road...has the nicest fillet steaks i've ever had....twice in the last 2 months i've got them there and they're fantastic... HIGHLY reccomended :D

Edit:and i dont know anyone that works there or owns it.....

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Fitzpatricks manor lodge on the cork road...has the nicest fillet steaks i've ever had....twice in the last 2 months i've got them there and they're fantastic... HIGHLY reccomended :D

How about prices?

• Advertisement

To be honest, if you are not a lover of steaks, then you have a very limited selection in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

+1 for fitzpatricks been there a few times before christmas and was great every time...think prices are 12-20 euro for a main course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

Trotter wrote: »
    So here's the idea.. You go to a restaurant in Waterford and you found it nice/ok/awful. Why not share the information??

Keep the info short and sweet! It'll make it easier to browse through.

I'll kick off...

The Spinnaker in Dunmore (a little far out I know).. Saturday 2nd Feb.. 2 people.. 3 courses each, €80 including a tenner tip because service was really good.

Food was lovely, lots of it - Not too posh, plenty of space, and the fish cakes for starters rocked my world.

Would certainly go back again soon.
    Not if I got free meal would I eat in the Spinnaker again, tried it 4 times and never once was I happy with a meal last time there I tried the burger, I should have gone to McDonalds

Emilianos : price €12- €26 main course, Service: very good, food: V good
    Fitzpatricks: price €15-€28 main course, Service: v good, food: V good
    Becketts: price €11-28 main course Service: v good, food: V good I love their pate
    Divine in the Forum its new and still finding it feet place holds 150 people been 3 times since it opened food is ok/nice nothing special wine list is poor.
    La Boheme: high end prices: service is excellent, food excellent but its dropping of slightly
    The Tower Bistro : nicely priced think there doing a meal for 2 including bottle of wine for €69

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford City ONLY please! Waterford County reviews to the County forum. :)

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Giggles86

Lunch Yesterday 9 people ---- 116 euro for 4 courses each.

Food was lovely as always. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Harlequins...

I have to say, my favourite place to eat in Waterford. Great athmosphere, friendly staff, and fantastic food - It dosn't have a 5 page long menu like most other places, but it really dosn't need one - All the mains are about 9 quid, and panini's are about 6.50

All the food is top quality.

My only complaint is that the portions aren't huge. But I'd usually be going for a starter and main. With 2 beers and and expresso for 2 people, it usually works out about about 40 quid... Not too bad.

Oh, great coffee too.

(Is Italian btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭JMcL

La Boheme : Classic french, and up there with the best anywhere in Ireland. Prices are on the high side (€30ish main), but worth it for a treat. Small but well formed wine list, with a few nice well chosen wines by the glass.

L'Atmosphere: French too, though pitched more at the bistro end. Food very good and excellent value for the early bird (up til 7pm). Thereafter most mains in the low €20s bracket

Bodega: Last time I was there food and service was very good, but too expensive. Price wise they're snapping at the heels of La Boheme, but should really be in the same ballpark as L'Atmosphere.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Harlequins...

I have to say, my favourite place to eat in Waterford. Great athmosphere, friendly staff, and fantastic food - It dosn't have a 5 page long menu like most other places, but it really dosn't need one - All the mains are about 9 quid, and panini's are about 6.50

My only complaint is that the portions aren't huge. But I'd usually be going for a starter and main. With 2 beers and and expresso for 2 people, it usually works out about about 40 quid... Not too bad.

Oh, great coffee too.

(Is Italian btw)

I never even knew this place existed, I must try it out over the coming days.

Here is their website which has some details of the menu also. It doesnt seem to be firefox friendly though, I had to use IE to view the links on it.

Harlequins...

Oh, great coffee too.

(Is Italian btw)
    nice review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've never been to the Spinnaker in Dunmore East but several people recommended it to me as I'm trying to find somewhere nice for my son's confirmation lunch in May. I don't know where to book.

A group of us (6 adults) go out together for dinner about once a month. We went to Savannah last week but have very mixed opinions on it. Only one of the group had a starter, the rest of us had a main course, dessert, tea/coffee, 1 or 2 glasses of wine each and it cost €50 per head.

Most of us had steak which was nice but the desserts were microwaved and just average. What really annoyed us was that we were celebrating a birthday and one of the guests brought a birthday cake but the restaurant wouldn't let us have the cake there unless we paid €15.

We've never had this sort of thing happen anywhere else and we all felt it was a bit of a money racket. I don't think we'll be going back there and I can see why the place was fairly empty.

Deisemum, try Harlequin's the next time you're out with the other 6.

Spinnaker can be hit or miss. I despise the place on Sundays, too many kids, people standing about waiting on your seats, etc.

During the week it's better, but wouldn't be suprised if it were packed on a confirmation day.
    I think the food there can be very average. Especially if not everyone likes fish.

IIRC, it's pricey enough there.

If I were to book someplace for a meal, it would be The Mill, out in Kilmacow, but don't think I should put a review up here (Or the County forum - God help me if a kilkenny person comes across it :p) Pm me if you want more info!

Anyone guess I like my food? :p

Deisemum, try Harlequin's the next time you're out with the other 6.

Spinnaker can be hit or miss. I despise the place on Sundays, too many kids, people standing about waiting on your seats, etc.

During the week it's better, but wouldn't be suprised if it were packed on a confirmation day.
    I think the food there can be very average. Especially if not everyone likes fish.

IIRC, it's pricey enough there.

If I were to book someplace for a meal, it would be The Mill, out in Kilmacow, but don't think I should put a review up here (Or the County forum - God help me if a kilkenny person comes across it :p) Pm me if you want more info!

Anyone guess I like my food? :p

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard of The Mill. I've left it too late to book Waterford Castle and Faithlegg. I want somewhere that's very good and a real treat and not average like a lot of places. Some of the places that I like don't do Saturday lunch.

Oh.. I almost forgot.

Saturday afternoon I headed to The Cove on the Dunmore road for lunch. I had a fantastic steak bagel with red onion, salad and wedges (€10 ish) and the chocolate surprise.. (Its lovely!). The other half had a pannini and a portion of wedges.. and all reviews from her were positive too. The portions were very generous given the prices. The service was very friendly, something you don't see too much these days.

The bill for the 2 of us, including 2 soft drinks and tea was less than €40. Its not going to get Michelin stars but Im going back for that bagel again.
    Theres a different Sunday menu that I've never tried but I've heard that the strengths of this place in terms of food is the bagels / panninis end of things. I didnt think much of the Sunday menu but that might just be my tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

anyone been to espresso?

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    anyone been to espresso?
    great little spot very child friendly I'v never been there after 8 so not sure if the ankle bitters are still there at night

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

went to emilianos sunday thought it was lovely, great service and quality food.

also was at lime leaf a few weeks back and that was nice too.emilainos was a bit dearer however i did not mind that as i was satisfied with the food/service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

could someone post a review about the mill kilmacow if posssible ? im very interested to hear what its like, seeing as it is closer to waterford city than dunmore i think it should be allowed !

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

could someone post a review about the mill kilmacow if posssible ? im very interested to hear what its like, seeing as it is closer to waterford city than dunmore i think it should be allowed !

Sure isn't it North Waterford anyway?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I've heard great reports about the mill too...its down a cul de sac ..opposite Irish's pub (on the main waterford to Kilkenny road)

I've heard great reports about the mill too...its down a cul de sac ..opposite Irish's pub (on the main waterford to Kilkenny road)

jaysus, i used to work in that mill a good few yrs ago, glad they put the place to good use, it was an engineering kip !

Indian, very nice, the early bird is €15.00 for starter main course, food in very good so is the service they also do takeout and delivery

its in high street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Was in Fontana's last week (Italian Restaurant where Sizzlers use to be). There were 4 of us, 4 starters, 4 mains, bottle of wine, 2 bottles of water, 3 coffees and a port. Total of €180. The food quality wasn't great, the pasta was packet pasta which is unforgivable for an Italian restaurant. It should always be fresh. The two girls had fillet of sea bass which was supposed to have a sauce but it was more like an oil and way too many bones. I had the duck which was very nice. Staff were very plesant.
    All in all we were disappointed and you can't help but have the feeling you are still in Sizzlers (always enjoyed the food there which may have had something to do with my drunken state). Having said that my sister was in there the week before and she said the Lasange was the nicest she ever tasted.

Right, I'm gonna go for the Mill, Sully, feel free to delete... :o

The Mill is fantastic - It's a family run restaurant, the Laffin's own it. Nice folk. The meals are great, good sized portions, service is grand, all the staff are friendly, and well informed about what's going on in the kitchen, which makes a change.

If you like paté, the homemade paté for starter is amazing. A thick slice of paté, toast, salad, and varying sauces...

Main courses are all good too. Is mostly your typical homely grub, cooked to perfection.

Deserts are quite good, but it's hard work after the above.

The place is defo let down by its coffee - after all the above, a decent shot of expresso is called for, but you're only going to be getting pour-over, which is a right shame.

Decent selection of wines, and few beers behind the counter.

Location wise, is great too. It's a bit far out mind, but good to get away. It's about a 15/20 minute drive from town, and it's quite hard to find at first, you just gotta keep on driving down that lane until you see the sign! I think the lane is actually beside the pub though?

The place is, as can be expected, pricy enough, I think the last time I was there, for two people, 3 courses, and some beers/sparkling waters was about 100... I think... I'm not 100% sure actually.

Oh, if you're looking for Sunday Dinner, you best be booking a week or two in advance at least. Mightn't be too bad at the moment though. Another point to note is that it's not open all week - I think it's two sittings on Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat evening and one sitting on Sunday during the day. Not 100% sure on that.

Is well worth trying out if you have to bring some people for a meal, and want to impress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

For an Indian, you can't get better than EastEnders, near the bridge.

Lovely food, clean, tidy place, great staff, much better than the aforementioned Indian.

Its never busy either; Its a bit of a hidden treasure.

A.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The reason I want to keep the topic City only is because I want to keep the County forum busy also. Nobody goes there as much as I would like and having local county restrauant reviews there might pick things up. :)

Non-City posts have been moved to the Waterford County Review Topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

My review of the Spinnaker as per Sully's linky.

I like indian haven't been to Eastenders yet, What's that one in High St. it's changed it's name since I was there last, But I love their Korma.

EDIT
    THe Folks went to Cafe Goa on Saturday night. They seemed to be pretty impressed with it, and would definately go back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

been out too much -- puting on pounds----

Sabai - new Vietnamese/Thai Restaurant on the Mall
    best mixed starter in town -
    i had jungle curry - hot - loved it
    herself had Thai Red curied Duck - exellent big portion

starters (large) 9.90
    mains about 15 (rice is extra)
    avoid the desserts - frozed/packet stuff

Bodega night time
    very busy spot -
    seafood chowder very um um maybe too much fish
    she had goats cheese salad - nice portion

mains i had fillet steak - chunky chips- pepper sauce
    she had fillet of Brill with beurre blanc - excellent
    couldnt get enough of their garlic spuds -
    best desserts on the planet - shoc souffly and raspbery sabayon

starters were 7-11
    mains 25 - 29 ish
    desserts 7
    great wine selections - esp around 20 per bottle

Revolution
    sunday lunch -
    i had bbq ribs recommeded by happy chef (big potion - nicer than savannah for less than half the price)
    she had chicken pepper sauce veg etc - excellent
    dessert i had pancake pleasure - biggest dessert i ever had - but scrummy & finished it
    she had chocolate lava cake - small portion but real good

mains 10 - 14
    desserts 5
    very cheap for very good food and best service anywhere
    semingly serves food 12 noon - 12 midnight - love to see that on a sat night!!!!!lol

GOING TO LA PALMA TONGIHT - LET U KNOW MORE SOON -
    HATE DIETS -

Sully wrote: »
    The reason I want to keep the topic City only is because I want to keep the County forum busy also. Nobody goes there as much as I would like and having local county restrauant reviews there might pick things up. :)

Non-City posts have been moved to the Waterford County Review Topic.

sure them county folk dont have broadband, thats why the county forum is so quiet, if im not mistaken i seen some of em driving to thurles last year on square wheels !

sure them county folk dont have broadband, thats why the county forum is so quiet, if im not mistaken i seen some of em driving to thurles last year on square wheels !

Us Tramore heads have Broadband, its just out in bog territory that they don't :p

• Advertisement

Sully, I not nit picking or anything but why did you move the review of the Mill restaurant from here to the country thread. It was a very good detailed review and its probably more relevant here than in the Waterford County thread.

Is the Mill in the City or the County? I thought it was in the county, so I moved it to the county thread. If people want reviews of food in the city, read this thread but if they want to read restaurants in the county read the other one. We have two separate forums for a reason, and while we have them I would like to use both properly. Its picking up in the county forum and I think the thread will attract more people and get the forum busier. :) Simple enough. The type of review has nothing to do with where it is, but its location does! :) Anything else, PM me, lets get this topic back on track.. :)

No bother, but Kilmacow is neither in Waterford City or county, but it is closer to the Waterford City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Harlequins...

Oh, great coffee too.

(Is Italian btw)

Never been there for dinner but have had lunch there quite a bit - food is excellent and the pasta specials are usually very different from the regular Italian fare.

Think it may be a little too small and cramped for a leisurely meal at night but certainly the place for a nice lunch!

Aquos76 wrote: »
    No bother, but Kilmacow is neither in Waterford City or county, but it is closer to the Waterford City.

Good point. It shouldn't be in either, but I have moved it back. Id prefer we kept City Reviews here and County Reviews elsewhere.. but ones close to the city (rather not go to far out of the city) can have a mention. If the KK folk don't mind ;)

• Advertisement

I'm not great to be giving a review on this because I'm not a lover of Thai food, starter was great prawns & veg in a light batter partner had mixed starter( bit of everything) very nice I had duck it was ok bit to much soya sauce but this could be me partner had jungle curry and liked it alot, service was very slow but it was a busy night,
    I did notice when we arrived we were told our table was not ready would like to take a seat in the bar/ order a drink while there every couple that arrived was told the same thing, also when we received our bill at the end of the meal we were charged for a pint a vodka & mixer that we never ordered
    2 starters
    2 main course
    1 glass of wine
    1 bottle of wine
    1 pint
    €93
    pretty good price I thought

Went to Mount Juliet tonight with the girlfriend. They had a 5 course meal on offer for valentines at 65 a head, but we just used their normal menu which had more choice. Just said id mention it, since its half way (kinda) between Waterford and Kilkenny. We had an excellent meal with very good service

2 starters (soup - large bowl, with plenty of white & brown bread)
    2 main course (1x salmon and a gorgeous 1x fillet steak with chips)
    2 desert (chocolate sponge with melted chocolate inside, twas very nice!)
    Coffee / Cappuccino (with a nice mint chocolate)
    3 Minerals
    €110

I probably should put this in the KK Forum, but I thought id bring it to the attention of those wanting to travel up the road a little - 30mins I think - for a nice meal. Lovely location, we eat in Hunters Yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

Went to Mount Juliet tonight with the girlfriend. They had a 5 course meal on offer for valentines at 65 a head, but we just used their normal menu which had more choice. Just said id mention it, since its half way (kinda) between Waterford and Kilkenny. We had an excellent meal with very good service

2 main course (salmon and a gorgeous fillet steak with chips)
    3 Minerals
    €110

I probably should put this in the KK Forum, but I thought id bring it to the attention of those wanting to travel up the road a little - 30mins I think - for a nice meal. Lovely location, we eat in Hunters Yard.

Don't you think this is the kettle calling the pot black with regard to City review's only?

G'wan Sully you old Romantic you! Fair play to you.Did you happen to pop the question, or maybe she did with it been a leap year. Isnt the girl suppose to purpose when its a leap year or something like that.

G'wan Sully you old Romantic you! Fair play to you.Did you happen to pop the question, or maybe she did with it been a leap year. Isnt the girl suppose to purpose when its a leap year or something like that.

I proposed on a leap year ;)

2 main course (salmon and a gorgeous fillet steak with chips)
    3 Minerals
    €110

you and the missus must have the same tastes !
    same starter same main c and same dessert! how romantic !:p

Sorry typo in that. We went with different main courses each - I went with the fillet (gorgeous I tell ya) and she went with the salmon (said it was very nice). Everything else, apart from drinks, were the same :p

Bards wrote: »
    Don't you think this is the kettle calling the pot black with regard to City review's only?

Yes. But following feedback, which I like, I made some changes.

See: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55141072&postcount=41

Its close, but not to close I suppose. Iv already agreed its more suited in KK but Thomastown is only up the road so I thought the mention would be nice. If you feel its not "close enough" and im being to cheeky, ill move it at your say so ;)

Romantic? Christ, if that's romantic god help me. I spend a tad bit over that on flowers and gifts and I thought that was romantic (got the flowers delivered in 3s every hour till she got 9 of em :p)! Tad bit mad imo, but nice all the same! After setting up the delivery locally I ended up trying out that FlowersMadeEasy crowd as they had a promotion for Boardsies.

But nah, no popping of questions. To early for that kinda thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tubey

Went to Oskars for valentines last night. 5 course meal and it was superb. got a call the next day to be told that we won dinner for 4 after last night. Superb service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement