Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Waterford restaurant reviews here..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

+1 for Sabai on the Mall. Huge range of grub on the menu, friendly and knowledgeable staff, nice decor and reasonable enough prices.

Will definitely return and work my way through the menu, after studying it there wasn't much there at all that I wouldn't be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Not happy about this at all !! I just read this review again, thinking of getting a delivery from a different indian for a change, and to my horror, menupages.ie have removed Waterford all together !!! Even Wexford is still there - but no sign of waterford.

I've now got to rip the house to bits searching fora kashmir tandoori menu !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

myself and himself have just been to the cosy thai in Kilmeaden.

Found it very good, the food was excellent plenty of it,very good price alot cheaper than some other thai restaurants, the staff and overall service very good, couldn't fault the place at all.

its lovely to be able to have a drink beside an open fire in a nice relaxing atmosphere. find the owner extremely pleasant and welcoming

Overall a very good experience, will definetly be going back there again and would highly recommend it

Who owns the Cosy Thai out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AZAZ

Just back from a weekend in Waterford. Based on the recommendation from this site we visited Fitzpatricks manor lodge.

We had..
    STARTERS
    Paté - Tasted no better than cheapy Tesco's (Waxy!)
    Crab claws - Large and plenty but lacked any taste

MAINS
    Lemon Sole (A special) - Very bland dish in both taste and presentation
    Sirloin Steak - Nice and well cooked.

DESSERTS
    Steamed Chocolate Pudding - Pudding very dry and nothing to write home about
    Pear tart tatin - Pear wasn't cooked and like a brick!

Overall very disappointing but on the upside the Atmosphere was good and the service was faultless. It was less than a mile outside of town so a pleasant stroll away. Wine was nice to.
    The bill with no tea or coffee was just over €100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Just back from Bodega, 4 of us went and this is what we had.

Bodega

We decided against starters as we thought the mains would be big and we wanted desert.

Mains
    Rack of Lamb €27
    Very little mash, did not taste great
    9 oz Chargrilled Fillet Beef €27
    Very small, tiny bit of mash and Veg
    Homemade Beef Burger €15.90
    Best value, nice burger lots of fries
    6oz Sirloin Steak €19
    nice but again small portion

All in all the cheapest the burger was only one substantial and prices for
    lamb and beef were way too much.

Deserts, I remember having a souffle there a couple of years ago so was definately gonna go for that.

2 x souffles
    Not as good as i remember but not bad
    Raspberry & Mascarpone Sabayon - unusual desert not too my fancy
    Raspberry Trifle (SPECIAL)
    This is what pissed us off, it came in a tall thin glass and was only a third filled. We said to the waitress that it was embarrassing to give this as a special as it was so small. She said this to manager but nothing was said to us.
    The deserts were all around 8 euro.

All in all the food was nice but I personally was still hungry coming out of the place as the portions were just too small. I was tempted to get an Istanbul on the corner on the way back to the car...

Bazual

Roen wrote: »
    Who owns the Cosy Thai out of curiosity?

i haven't a clue

i presume its the same owner throughout the years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

bazual wrote: »

Bodega

We decided against starters as we thought the mains would be big and we wanted desert.

Mains
    Rack of Lamb €27
    6oz Sirloin Steak €19

Deserts, I remember having a souffle there a couple of years ago so was definately gonna go for that.

2 x souffles
    This is what pissed us off, it came in a tall thin glass and was only a third filled. We said to the waitress that it was embarrassing to give this as a special as it was so small. She said this to manager but nothing was said to us.

All in all the food was nice but I personally was still hungry coming out of the place as the portions were just too small. I was tempted to get an Istanbul on the corner on the way back to the car...

Bazual

There is no excuse a restaurant leaving you out hungry when you've had a main meal and desert. I hate that feeling where you've spent a fair bit of cash and all you want to do is get some fast food afterwards. I won't be going to Bodega based on that review any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

im a regular lunch customer at Bodega-
    main and dessert more than fill me -
    usually got for peppered steak and fries or Fish Special - €15
    dessert - marcapone and raspberry sabayon is delicious ans different - raspbarries, frozen sorbet topped with hot sabayon - mmmmmmm

Dinner is a little moer expensive - but never a difficulty with postions -
    recommendations
    starters - the duck spring roll is unreal!
    as is the pate
    Mains - duck with red berries ona bed of champ
    or steak and fish specials are always good

Bodega is my second favourite resturant in town
    - reasonable - casual and good priced wines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

bazual wrote: »

Bodega

Mains
    Rack of Lamb €27
    6oz Sirloin Steak €19

2 x souffles

Bazual

You're not alone about still feeling hungry leaving Bodega. I've heard that complaint a number of times. They could do with adding more vegetables alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

deisemum wrote: »
    You're not alone about still feeling hungry leaving Bodega. I've heard that complaint a number of times. They could do with adding more vegetables alright.

I didn't really find quantity a problem last time I was at Bodega (before Christmas sometime), and the quality of the food was fine. I was rather taken aback by the prices they were charging though. A la carte almost on a par with La Boheme for mains, and for the style of food served I reckon it's about €5 over the odds, which is a shame, as it's a nice spot.

On a more positive note, another thumbs up for Sabai. Good food, and good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The Cove has been all over the place recently in terms of food and menus changing etc.

I gotta say though.. I had dinner in there yesterday and it was great. Simple food, reasonable prices, comfortable, good staff. I honestly couldnt complain about any of it.

They had a very complicated menu for a couple of weeks, but the feedback seemed to be for simplifying it a bit and going for the pannini options.

Its going in the right direction anyway.. a nice option to have available.

I had the fish pie (Lots of shellfish!) and chips with salad, some mad chocolate dessert that I couldnt finish, and tea. €18.50 ish in total + tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

In with Jimmy above, Bodega is a fantastic restaurant. Whoever went and slatted it because they didn't get their fill should then have a starter as well, no?

Alternatively get a goodfella's pizza and cook it at home, that is nice and filling.

I have been at Bodega numerous occasions and despite having a strong appetitie, i do not ever remember being hungry after the meal. Maybe that is because we always do 3 courses and would prefer to enjoy the meal and wine than scrimp and save a few euro and then moan about it!

We to Sabai for early bird on Easter Monday. Early bird can be frustrating so I rarely stick to it but this meal was scrum! :)

Starters: Chicken and Pork meatballs with spicky sauce - Score: B
    Main: Thai yellow prawn curry with egg fried rice - Score A-
    Dessert: Grapefruit and passionfruit panna cota - Score B+

Overall extremely nice, really didnt expect such a nice meal, expecially the desserts being authentic. Overall two 3 courses, a coffee, a bottle of house white and two glasses of wine cost €81.

Verdict: Will go back ....soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

In with Jimmy above, Bodega is a fantastic restaurant. Whoever went and slatted it because they didn't get their fill should then have a starter as well, no?

Alternatively get a goodfella's pizza and cook it at home, that is nice and filling.

I have been at Bodega numerous occasions and despite having a strong appetitie, i do not ever remember being hungry after the meal. Maybe that is because we always do 3 courses and would prefer to enjoy the meal and wine than scrimp and save a few euro and then moan about it!

We to Sabai for early bird on Easter Monday. Early bird can be frustrating so I rarely stick to it but this meal was scrum! :)

Starters: Chicken and Pork meatballs with spicky sauce - Score: B
    Main: Thai yellow prawn curry with egg fried rice - Score A-
    Dessert: Grapefruit and passionfruit panna cota - Score B+

Overall extremely nice, really didnt expect such a nice meal, expecially the desserts being authentic. Overall two 3 courses, a coffee, a bottle of house white and two glasses of wine cost €81.

Verdict: Will go back ....soon!

I have been to pretty much all the restaurants in the city and I have never had an issue with quantity until we had food from Bodega.
    If you had seen the raspberry trifle you would have laughed. It was embarrassing how much of it was in this glass.

Normally anywhere else you can have a starter and main and be struggling to eat desert, not in this place.

Other places I would recommend would be Savannah's in Mary Street very filling and 47 the Bistro in Patrick street, excellent for lunch and dinner and great value.

B~

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

How cold it must be up there on that high horse.

The person you are talking about said that they didnt have the starter because they expected a decent sized portion.. not because they were "scrimping and saving". They weren't moaning.. they were taking part in a restaurant review thread.. and finally.. theres no need for the Godfathers pizza if you've had a proper sized portion in a restaurant.. which clearly some people here have not had.

A main course and dessert should be plenty to have someone relatively full. I can see with my eyes that a mains portion is small. Having a starter doesnt take away my ability to see if theres not enough food on the plate.

AAAAAnyway... sorry... back on track.

Bellissimo at Ardkeen one evening last week.. No starter, Pasta with marinaded chicken for main course and lads and lassies... the strawberry cheesecake. Woof.

Pricey enough for pasta.. but it was nice. I'd certainly give it another whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

The people that I've heard complaining some of whom I've been in Bodega with have no problem spending money on a meal and the reason they were complaining is because they didn't feel sated after their meal not because they were scrimping to save a few euro. If they wanted to do that they would have gone elsewhere.

Maybe their aiming to attract wannabe WAGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

I've been a big fan of bodega for years and have always recommended it to friends etc. But lately I've found the service and the attention to the customer has been really lacking.

My wife and I went there last night to see Mary coughlin and she was FANTASTIC, the food was pretty good too although my wifes starter of calamari salad was awful.

The real problem tho was the staff; On 5 different occasions they went to take stuff off our table that we weren't finished with. I was still chewing my main course when my plate was lifted, and 3 different drinks were taken before they were finished. It's been like this a lot lately and I'm sure it's cos they're usually trying to get you out to get other people in. As far as I'm concerned if you're coming to a nice restaurant and paying upwards of 30 yoyos for a main you should be able to enjoy it in peace. Staff should be attentive without being bothersome .

The previous 2 times we went there we were running a few minutes late as we have a new baby and trying to leave the house is almost impossible, anyway we arrive in at 7.15 and both times we were met by the owner looking at his watch and tut tutting that we have to be out by nine and we're really late and now we would only be allowed to have 2 courses as they needed our table back by 9. It's a bit too like a conveyor belt to me. I'm just not willing to be treated like a naughty school boy when I'm emptying my wallet for the privilidge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BillyBobWinters

Interesting comments above on Bodega and I am disappointed that it appears to be losing its way a little.

Anyway as long as L'Atmosphere delivers, I am happy. Although i notice that their prices have increased slightly. Will leave them off on that one 'cos it is still excellent value, excellent food and excellent service.

One poster mentioned Bellisisimo (spelling). I agree, a great spot. They should expand to an Ala Carte menu with specials and they would be sorted, because at the moment it is still in the "lunch bracket"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deise4ever

Interested in trying Divine for a meal with 2 friends next week. Anyone been there recently.

If anyone interested in getting a takeaway and just chilling out at home with a bottle of wine, Expresso (old La Palma) beside St. John's Church do an excellent, reasonable, take away menu. Give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Have to agree about Bodega - Were in there recently for a bottle of wine (3 of us) and the owner looked almost disgusted that we weren't eating, and I think that when they start to get greedy with the double bookings of tables thing then it's time to find another more hospitable venue :rolleyes:

deise4ever wrote: »
    Interested in trying Divine for a meal with 2 friends next week. Anyone been there recently.

If anyone interested in getting a takeaway and just chilling out at home with a bottle of wine, Expresso (old La Palma) beside St. John's Church do an excellent, reasonable, take away menu. Give it a try.

have been there on a few occasions and the food is lovely and its reasonable enough,the steak is huge and the place is never too packed either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Went into Cafe Lucia today for a bite to eat. Just something small. Had wedges and a desert while a friend had garlic bread and desert.

The food was rotten. The wedges didnt seem cooked and had no taste. I pointed it out to the waitress and she didnt car - just got a dirty look. Friend didnt eat the garlic bread either. Cake was okay, nothing great. They gave the plate to my friend and then just took it of with him, added cream and gave it back while we sat there in amasment!

Women paying before us kept getting overcharged. Added extra tea they never add, she pointed out. Paid up and was checking the receipt and went back and said she only had one pannini and they charged for 3!

Certinally turned me of the place anyway.

+1 for Harlequins, smashing Italian food. Actual Italian food too which was nice :)
    Really nice friendly guys there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

i love Harlequinn --- best itialian in town --- very reasonable -
    2 botles o wine -
    anti pasta plate (huge) for 3
    3 x penne arabiatta
    2 x tirasmu
    2 x coffee

€69

great value & service - opens till 8.30 mid week and late fri & sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭netopia789

Harlequins one of the worst food i have evar had laft my pasta thare over cooked anti pasta the meat all tast the same not worth the monay 2saters 2 manes 1/2 wine and 2 cokes 68 euro rip off i might add

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

netopia789 wrote: »
    Harlequins one of the worst food i have evar had laft my pasta thare over cooked anti pasta the meat all tast the same not worth the monay 2saters 2 manes 1/2 wine and 2 cokes 68 euro rip off i might add

Thank you,
    An excellent review and one which I will bear in mind when deciding on a venue for my future dining choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

Emilianos has to be one of the best palces to eat in waterford, two of my friends work there but i never ate there but always wanted too. in feb of this year we went to emilanos and i never tasted such amazing food, on a night out of dining i would prefer to eat there than any where else, top class food and service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

its good but its turned into a circus with birthday parties and hen-nights. Drunken groups getting rowdy and because everyone is sitting right on top of each other your right in the middle of it, but it is good food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Where exactly is The Mill? I went looking in Kilmacow but couldn't find it.

This thread is useful, but it might also be useful to put a sticky at the top with the addresses of all restaurants mentioned?

Andy.

Advertisement