Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Waterford restaurant reviews here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Regarding The Bistro, Patrick's Street, food's good enough but the blonde manageress has a terrible manner. All other staff are really nice but she is so unfriendly, she rarely smiles. Had friends over from Scotland and went there for an evening meal. Scottish visitors couldn't get over her ice cold manner. Hope she reads this and finds some course to help her deal with the public in a nice friendly and welcoming way. To be honest it would definitely put me off going there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

I think that blonde woman is the owner.
    She can definitely have a puss on her alright, mind you it's a stressful business I guess. It has put me off once or twice too so it's not an isolated incident;)

sunnyse wrote: »
    I think that blonde woman is the owner.
    She can definitely have a puss on her alright, mind you it's a stressful business I guess. It has put me off once or twice too so it's not an isolated incident;)

Yes thought as much, if she wasn't the owner she'd have been out on her ear pretty swiftly. She actually adds a bad atmosphere to the place. She should count herself lucky to have a decent chef and some nice staff, which is the reason for it's success. She really does need to take note though. When you're in this sort of trade the atmosphere provided by staff is absolutely paramount!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

I know someone who recently worked at the bistro, they left in the end due to both the owners bad attitude, and constant fighting and name calling over right customers, to be honest i have never been in there but because of what she told me, i wouldnt be inclined to go in there and listen to the owners marital problems!!!! no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

sunnyse wrote: »
    They often have some nice veggie options out in bellissimo on the Dunmore road:)

Ugh. Oh god. I was going to do review that place, but I wouldn't waste the effort typing how bad it was :(

I've never been so disgusted with an Italian restaurant in my life!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I would just like to make a point, to the people who really had a bad time at these places (where ever they are) did they complain, or at least write a letter of complaint?

I remember me and my gf at the time went to lemongrass 2 years ago when it first opened (i think its under a different name now) the food was average to below average but the service was completely unacceptable.

To this I had a talk with the manager, now i used to work in the service industry and i know what its like to be at the reciving end of a customers complaint. So i talked to her politely, but you could tell from the body language she wasnt used to complaints.

My point is, has anyone ever complained, or at least written a complaint to these places to let them know their failing their customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

anyone been to the new italian restaurant where chez k's used to be???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

magick wrote: »
    I would just like to make a point, to the people who really had a bad time at these places (where ever they are) did they complain, or at least write a letter of complaint?

When I've need to, I've no need to "excuse me, but..."

Oh yes I definitely complain, but after my food is served and when I'm paying and leaving the establishment. As regards to The Bistro the problem is "the manager" and the manager is "the owner" you can't get much higher than that. From what I've heard from friends who still visit The Bistro, it has made no difference at all. God help the employees, their working hours must be hell in there:( A real shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Can anybody recommend Chez K's in the Fitzwilton? I'm staying there in a few weeks for my stag and am looking for somewhere for 24 of us to eat (and before you ask we're not a rowdy bunch and we're go-karting in Kiltorcan beforehand so we won't be full of beer ;) )!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 escargot

I just read on your blog that you are looking for a stag night out for 24 lads,have you heard of la boheme restaurant on george's street. Their a la carte might not suit a bunch of lads on a night out, but they have a fanstastic 3 course all inclusive which is served all evening for only €35.00 per person.
    I was there in the last few weeks with a bunch of work colleagues and everyone agreed that the food, the service and the atmosphere were top notch with that sort of budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

escargot wrote: »
    I just read on your blog that you are looking for a stag night out for 24 lads,have you heard of la boheme restaurant on george's street. Their a la carte might not suit a bunch of lads on a night out, but they have a fanstastic 3 course all inclusive which is served all evening for only €35.00 per person.
    I was there in the last few weeks with a bunch of work colleagues and everyone agreed that the food, the service and the atmosphere were top notch with that sort of budget.

Thanks for the advice but I've decided to go for Limeleaf instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Had an early bird a few weeks ago at La Boheme on O'Connell Street. VERY pleased. Only 35 euro for three courses, and the food was nothing short of divine, every bite. My boyfriend and I are pretty picky about food and we can say this was definitely the best meal we've had in Waterford (which I suppose isn't a hard thing to accomplish). Completely professional, courteous, and comfortable. I'm surprised its not more widely praised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

I've been to divine a few times now and think it's one of the best in waterford. Since reducing there prices, it's very affordable in comparison to my other favorite restaurant (espresso), which has recently upped it's prices.

Went there with my girlfriend recently and got:
    Starters: Chicken wings + soup
    Mains: Penne veg pesto sauce + Linguini salmon garlic cream
    2 glasses of house white

All came to €56 - that's including a €5 tip and the chicken wings are the most expensive starter. If you order them you'll understand why. The waitress wished me good luck when he served me them and I couldn't finish my main course!
    The bad thing about Divine is that it's empty! There's no atmosphere and it seems no one has any time for it. It's a real shame, the staff are great, service is very friendly, the interior is lovely, it's damn cheap.

Has anyone else been there? I'm really interested to see what other people think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

i definately agree with you there decimal. I have been to Divine a few times and would never hesitate to go back, food fab, service fab, atmosphere lovely and prices great... what more can you ask for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I thought the setting in Divine far out did the food. Still though I can't grumble too much as the prices are very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

has anyone been to the new restaurant that's in where Chez K's used to be, near the park?

It looks like its got Bridgestone and Ronay's awards up already (unless these were belonging to Chez Ks) but I can't seem to find anything online about it; think it's called Il Veliero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I haven't heard of this new restaurant.

But I can say that Chez K's is now based in the Fitzwilton Hotel on Bridge Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lainabaina wrote: »
    has anyone been to the new restaurant that's in where Chez K's used to be, near the park?

It looks like its got Bridgestone and Ronay's awards up already (unless these were belonging to Chez Ks) but I can't seem to find anything online about it; think it's called Il Veliero.

I was strongly advised against going there by a good friend. He said the food was some of the worst he has had in Ireland or elsewhere and that the service was terrible. Second hand info I know, but there you have it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭anucksunamun

My boyfriend and I went in, looked at the price list, and left. We're not cheap, and adore italian food, we went to belissima instead, up near ardkeen, and got both our meals for the price of one in that new restaurant. also belissima is absolutely beautiful if a slightly limited menu. I have since heard they have an early bird menu, and if I do try it, I will let you know :) bon appetit!

Thanks lads, it doesnt sound the best so far, maybe teething problems or maybe not, but I reckon I'll give it a miss!

It's for a birthday dinner for my boyfriend I was considering it, but maybe it'll be back to the old reliables, Bodega or l'Atmosphere. Yum!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

by the looks of it this place will be shut in less then 12 months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

im gonna give it a try this evening... wish me luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

just home. we had to be finished early so we booked a table for six. early bird seems to be served everyday from 5 - 7.30. as far as im aware a la carte is not available at this time.

service was excellent, very attentive.

appetisers were served, which i was surprised at considering this was early bird. we were offered a selection of breads on no fewer than three occasions, again i was pleasantly surprised.

quite possibly the best potato soup i have had eaten. main course was VERY slightly overcooked.

all in all we were very impressed. i was in la palma last week and we prefered tonight.

cost:
    2 courses 25
    3 courses 28

the owner (i assume) seemed like a lovely guy, he wasnt involved in the operation but walked around the floor a couple of times and came over to ensure everything was ok

my one issue was the manager (again i assume). seemed a bit arrogant!

defo worth a visit

Thanks for that Walshy, might be worth a look after all so! God bless early birds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DaDoc

I know they chef there, Georgio Travato, all he lives to do is cook. He's from Tuscany so his food has a great charcter. One of the main men behind Il Veliero has a restaurant in Enniscorthy called Via Veneto. Now that place is my favourite. never had a bad meal there. Paolo Tullio gave it a great review in the Indo last year. if you're ever up in Enniscorthy that's the palce to go. A good few Waterford people travel up to it....but now that il veliero is open that might stem the flow a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I went to Divine as part of a group 0f 18 for a christmas night out. The food was good, enjoyed the setting but the only thing that was negative was some people were finished eating one course while others were still waiting for it. A bit of organisation would solve that but they were only just opened so we put it down to teething problems.

I'd go back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sack lunch

Fitzpatrick's Manor Lodge are doing a lunchtime carvery now so I went last Sunday. It was almost full at about 1.30 and there was a bit of a queue to wait through. Still, that's usually a good sign. The food was excellent. I went for the beef with all trimmings and it was really tasty and fresh. Can't remember the exact price (memory's like a sieve) but it was around a tenner for the main and about a fiver for dessert (black forest gateau... also nice).

Left feeling satisfied. The buffet itself was small with just the one chef working at it thus the queue. Good service and a nice chilled Sunday atmosphere too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Ausone

anyone been to the new italian restaurant where chez k's used to be???????

was in Il Veliero recently. went in with 2 kids at 5.30pm.
    Early Bird was the only menu available until 7.30pm (What was that about?)
    I could critique service, food and price, but why bother?

It was bad, very bad.

I will not be back there.

Advertisement