Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Waterford restaurant reviews here..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

I was in Azzuro at the Shippe in Dunmore last niht and though the service was 100 million times better than the last time I was there.

The food was fine nothing spectacular though - the restaurant was Freezing!
    it was really really cold, there were a few other couples there and a family and at one point I could see most people rubbing thier arms or putting a scarf on!

I mentioned the chilly tempetaure to a staff member and all i got back was - ya it's cold out and it's an old building!

So I suppose i wound'nt go back unless it was for lunch and summer time!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

I heard that a new restaurant has opened where Coast used to be in Tramore, anyone been there or heard anything about it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

PetraMac wrote: »
    I heard that a new restaurant has opened where Coast used to be in Tramore, anyone been there or heard anything about it?

That would be a Waterford County review thread.

See here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

Roen wrote: »
    Who owns the Cosy Thai out of curiosity?
    his name is Martin Doyle
    <snip - no personal comments please>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Went to Espresso this week and could not believe the attitude of waiter/(owner)!

Ordered a pizza and he enquired whether I wanted the rustico base which he explained was thinner and there was fresh basil on it!

When the pizza arrived the pizza had rocket on it which was no big deal but when the bill arrived there was a charge of €3.95 extra for the rustico base!

When I enquired as to the charge he made no effort to deny the fact that this was a blatant rip off - I asked him why he had not advised that there was an extra charge and if it was indicated on the menu (as I admitted I hadn't seen anything about a choice of base or charge nor did I look either!) He told me that he was sorry if he hadn't made it clear but made no attempt to justify the charge (I guess you can't defend the indefensible!) or remove it!

To charge nearly €20 for a pizza was a disgrace and I certainly won't be returning there!

Needless to say his tip was the €3.95 he charged for the rustico base!

Now I wonder if I had just ordered the pizza without a base would I have gotten a reduction and in retrospect I should have asked for the discount because he used less dough on the thinner base than the normal one! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Because of where I work, I usually eat in Espresso at least once a week and I've never had a bad experience from there. For my parents anniversary I brought them there for a meal, my mother was feeling a little too adventurous and ordered something that she thought would be nice but had never tried before. When it arrived she really didn't like it, now there was nothing wrong at all with it, just she didn't like it. We called over the waiter and explained to him that she didn't like it and could she get something else, no problems at all, she had another fresh and piping hot meal in front of her in minutes.

When we went to pay, the owner wouldn't charge for the original meal which she didn't like even though we insisted as there was nothing wrong with it.

Don't think you'd get that kind of service anywhere in Waterford ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm just in after being out for a meal in Expresso.

No complaints about the food or service here, I didn't have pizza but I wouldn't be impressed if I had a similar experience as scout353.

The pounding noisy vibrations coming from Ruby's were not the best

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Because of where I work, I usually eat in Espresso at least once a week and I've never had a bad experience from there. For my parents anniversary I brought them there for a meal, my mother was feeling a little too adventurous and ordered something that she thought would be nice but had never tried before. When it arrived she really didn't like it, now there was nothing wrong at all with it, just she didn't like it. We called over the waiter and explained to him that she didn't like it and could she get something else, no problems at all, she had another fresh and piping hot meal in front of her in minutes.

When we went to pay, the owner wouldn't charge for the original meal which she didn't like even though we insisted as there was nothing wrong with it.

Don't think you'd get that kind of service anywhere in Waterford ...

Presume she didn't order the pizza with Rustico Base! :):D

I have no doubt people get decent food in there which is fine and there were no complaints on that front but charging 1/3 of the price of a meal extra for a different base and not flagging that there is that extra charge is nothing but a rip-off!

I was in London over the weekend and had a meal in an Italian restaurant in Covent Garden where the pizza was £8 and included a glass of prosecco. The pizza was larger that that in Espresso but I guess that is another debate!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

I've been to Divine maybe three or four times.

Only once did I go there of my own free will.

The design of the place is fantastic, there I can't fault it. The food is mediocre at best. It's all kinda glossed over so it looks great but isnt really doing anything special.

The staff are the same staff that serve in the Of Liscence and NightClub attached. Its glaringly obvious that they are bar staff thrown into a dining setting.

THe cocktail was wrong, they had no olives. They sat and talked and laughed at the bar when they werent busy. I told one girl that I didnt have a fish knife and she looked at me like I had ten heads.

Owning a restaurant is not something you can bang together with a few loose nails, and thats what Divine is.

Its a seerious case of fur coat and no knickers if you ask me.

Very unsatisfied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Ausone

m3llowship wrote: »
    The design of the place is fantastic, there I can't fault it. The food is mediocre at best. It's all kinda glossed over so it looks great but isnt really doing anything special.

Totally agree with you here M3llowship. You have hit the nail on the head.

The first time I went there, I asked for a coffee to start.
    A coffee on the table apparently means meal over!!!

We had to ask for menus, to give our order....traincrash.

I know it is the wrong forum but I was in the Tannery recently.
    They were not that busy, food was exciting but service was dreadful.
    Really bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ushuaia

hi guys,

Am I right in thinking that tuk tuk thai has moved in the same building as Sabai?
    I'm trying to book lunch for tomorrow for a group of people but can't get through to either... Sabai is closed on Monday and the number I have for Tuk tuk thai has it's answering machine full... Not sure if it's the right number anymore (got it from golden pages).

Anyone knows? :confused:
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Pretty sure it is sabai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

is the very bad place limeleaf(lamin grass) still opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That may be the most poorly constructed sentence I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deise4ever

Does anyone know of a restaurant serving lunch on Christmas Eve? Already tried Chez K, L'Atmosphere, Wine Vault (no longer a restaurant, now totally a wine shop). Would appreciate any help and a Happy Christmas to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

xbox36016 wrote: »
    is the very bad place limeleaf(lamin grass) still opening

I'm confused.

If you don't know if it's opened/opening then I would assume you haven't eaten there? How and why would it be a very bad place in your opinion if you haven't eaten there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

limeleaf is open for the last 5 years and i am asking is it still open

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

xbox36016 wrote: »
    limeleaf is open for the last 5 years and i am asking is it still open

Oh. I see. That makes more sense then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ushuaia

Pretty sure it is sabai

thanks. I've read on the web somewhere that tuk tuk thai was only doing take aways now? I might just book lunch in Sabai at this rate...

Re Limeleaf, I ate there a month or two ago, so it was still open.

• Advertisement

deise4ever wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a restaurant serving lunch on Christmas Eve? Already tried Chez K, L'Atmosphere, Wine Vault (no longer a restaurant, now totally a wine shop). Would appreciate any help and a Happy Christmas to you all.

Was in Cosy Thai in Kilmeaden recently and they were talking about a special on Christmas Eve - as far as I remember, it was set 4 course menu with glass of wine for €29.95 pp - could be wrong on details but they are definitely open Christmas Eve!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I go for meals out maybe twice a week, sometimes due to work and some for pleasure or whatever...

Bodega is lovely, went there loads of times and always nice although not great portions.
    7/10

Emailino's , again nice Italian, decent portions and not bad prices, although not the best layout IMO 8/10

Uluru Chinese, one of the best around, good service and great standard, 8/10

Fitzpatricks on Cork Rd, again there lots and never had bad meal, very good prices...

Esquire In Tramore is good too, again lay out is hit and miss, but good earely evening food...

Worst place in Waterford by a mile is that kip in The Forum....Devine?
    Useless Staff, bland food, crap venue....
    Suppose thats what happens why you try turn one of the towns most notorious nite clubs into a restaurant.. went there twice (against my will, may I add) and twice the meal was desperate, just pure bland food, I would cook better myself, little choice, and as for the wine menu!!.. Im not sure of the concept of the place really, and im not they managers/owners are neither. Not great setting when you come outside and people are queing to get into a nightclub next to you and abusing people! 1/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

New small Italian place beside City Square, a few doors up from Secrets.

Popped in there last Friday for a bite before work with my girlfriend as we're quickly discovering how poor the food is around town these days. Because it was before Six, there was only a limited menu consisting of pannini's, pizza and pasta as far as I remember. We both ordered pizza and drinks, she went for parma ham and mushroom, I went for the parma ham and spicy salami.

It was unusual that the pizza was served as two slices with a salad on a bread board, but my word, I've never experienced a pizza with so much flavour in my life. It was absolutely gorgeous, even if the portions were a bit small for my likings.

Went to the till, expecting the worst and was left speechless when told it was €13 for BOTH of us !

Will definitely be going back some day after 6p.m. to sample their full menu ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I had no intention of going out tonight for something to eat, but having read the review above about La Taverna, I decided it was worth a try.

Good God its nice. It was quiet enough but we were made very welcome. We ordered two main courses (Chicken & Peppers, and a Pizza) and we asked about getting one Suppli starter between us (Rice and Mozarella) but the Italian waiter said it'd take 20 mins or so. We said we'd just go with the mains.

Drinks were only around €1.20 each for orange / diet coke cans. When the mains arrived, he had the Suppli with him anyway and just said he'd brought it regardless seen as we were interested in trying it.

The food was fantastic. Pizza like that just isn't available anywhere else I've been in Waterford. The Chicken and peppers main course tasted so different, it was really nice.

Every so often the chap would take a peek up the stairs to see if we were ok or needed anything, so we felt well looked after.

When we headed off, I was happy with the bill.. €31 ish for 2 mains, 2 soft drinks, and a pot of tea at the end.

They didn't charge us for the Suppli which impressed me a lot. He had remembered that we hadnt officially ordered it in the beginning.

I had a good laugh with the lads working there on the way out. They're very sociable and seemed in great form. It was a fary cry from the sour faces I've been greeted with in other restarants.

The place is a gem! service, price, and standard of food was well above what we're used to in Waterford.

I'll most certainly go back. I just hope they get the business now because its a rarity to come across a place that seems to deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭j walsh

I was in the Limeleaf last week,
    The food was excellent and the service was great aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the Limeleaf and if you prefer a dish a bit milder they'll do it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

Will deffo try out La Taverna, sounds good!

Does anyone have any feedback on Sabai? I used to love Tuk Tuk Thai, and it seems the menu is pretty similar (http://www.sabai.ie/menu).

I've eaten in Bodega twice in the last few months. Once on a girly night out - had not-so-great starter of goats cheese w/ tomato based sauce (goats cheese became mushy in the hot tomato sauce) and a fabulous duck main course. Service was good on this night. Second time a family meal - really wasn't impressed at all with either food or service (we asked for extra veg when they brought us one tiny portion of veg between four of us, it never came!). I think it's a bit overpriced to be honest, but the atmosphere is great. Maybe a good place to go just to drink wine.

I would totally recommend the Vee Bistro in Tramore for Sunday lunch top notch quality and great value (e.g. Hake w/ coconut+chili sauce served with scallion mash at 12 euro, Lamb w/ mash and veg at 11.50euro). Haven't had an evening meal there recently so can't comment.

Dooleys chipper in Tramore - THE best chips.. fab fish.. great burgers.. YUM. There's a reason for the queues!

p.s. menupages.ie is good a site for restaurant reviews, and now includes restaurants in the Waterford area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dooleys chipper in Tramore - THE best chips.. fab fish.. great burgers.. YUM. There's a reason for the queues!

Have you tried the new one on the prom? Verrrry nice. Often pretty busy. Cant
    think of the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 karenmaryobrien

That might be Dooley's too actually.. They have two branches, one on main street, one attached to the arcades. Is it right at the end of all the arcades, near the beach?

• Advertisement

That might be Dooley's too actually.. They have two branches, one on main street, one attached to the arcades. Is it right at the end of all the arcades, near the beach?

Nope. They used to own Tonys a while back (not sure what stage as it changed hands so many times). Its before the Doolys one.

Advertisement