Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Waterford restaurant reviews here..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Whats it like compared with Faithegg House Hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

I can't compare exactly to faithlegg house, but I have been there a couple of years back and it was lovely, first class... what its like now if they have changed chefs or anything I dunno... but I'd say its still first class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭durrus

Sully wrote: »

I don't want to get myself into any bother but really there is just no comparison between Faithlegg and Waterford Castle. The most shocking thing is that for food that is just so inferior to that served in the Castle, the difference in price is just 15.00 per person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

See i'm of the mentality (and i don't mean to say this to critisise the OP as its a lovely idea to go there for val day) that I'd much prefer to go somewhere like say the esquire out in Tramore or crews in Dungarvan or white horses in Ardmore where the food is beautiful and the prices are a bit more reasonable but at the same time you get a much larger feed.

It's just IMO though as i'm not a lover of fine dining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No comparison really. The trouble with going to a large hotel for your dinner is that they generally have a long roster of chefs and when the Executive Head Chef isn't around to keep an eye on things, standards slip. This means that the beautiful Seafood Chowder you got one night, or has been recommended to you, could taste totally different another night. I'd definitely err on the side of caution.

Another recommendation I'd throw in is the Arlington Lodge. They have some great deals and a nice and varied menu to choose from. Of course there'd be no chance of getting a discount around Valentines Day, but they're an option nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Didn't Faithlegg get a Michelin star?

JPA wrote: »
    Didn't Faithlegg get a Michelin star?

That would be a no!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

durrus wrote: »
    That would be a no!

I am curious.. do you work for the Castle? You seem to know a lot about it! :)

haha...

I like my steak medium-rare please :P

No I don't work for the Castle and I have absolutely no connection with the place whatsoever. I just happen to be blessed with being able to eat out a good bit and have dinner in the castle once or twice a year. If you check my previous posts I have mentioned what line of work I am in and also that I brought some family to Faithlegg earlier this year for dinner and it was very poor. That was my experience, other people have had wonderful experiences there - c'est la vie. I have never had a bad meal in the Castle - other people will not think so highly of it, also c'est la vie.

I was conscious that i might have been mistaken for a castle employee or relative of, etc so I am glad to be able to clarify this.

• Advertisement

No I don't work for the Castle and I have absolutely no connection with the place whatsoever. I just happen to be blessed with being able to eat out a good bit and have dinner in the castle once or twice a year. If you check my previous posts I have mentioned what line of work I am in and also that I brought some family to Faithlegg earlier this year for dinner and it was very poor. That was my experience, other people have had wonderful experiences there - c'est la vie. I have never had a bad meal in the Castle - other people will not think so highly of it, also c'est la vie.

I was conscious that i might have been mistaken for a castle employee or relative of, etc so I am glad to be able to clarify this.

I don't believe him Ban him Sully :pac::pac:

Thanks. Was just curious, that's all. Its no crime if you did work there :)

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't believe him Ban him Sully :pac::pac:

Influencing a moderators decision....

I wonder is that a bannable offence? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

DanGlee wrote: »
    Hi,

I just booked a table for myself and the missus for valentines day at Waterford Castle, Munster Room. (I know its only Jan, but because its landing on a Saturday I figured book now!)

I was wondering if anybody has been there before, what its like and what I would be expecting to be forking out for a rosemantic meal for 2 :)
    (not that cost is an issue what it comes to my beautiful lady....... but be nice to get a head up ;) )

Thanks,
    DG.

It's your own business butty, but I think you're nuts! I went to the Munster last Saturday night. Four-course meal (main courses steak), including wine - €71 for two. The Tower Hotel are currently offering dinner for two, plus a bottle of wine, for an all-in price of €60.

Granted, you won't have the old surroundings, but I'd take a decent meal ahead of that any day.

Enjoy your night - but rest assured that menu won't be that price on Valentine's night.

That ole saying comes to mind. You keep paying - they'll keep charging.;)

Well you will recall last year Freddie (I think you commented on it at the time! :p) I went to Mount Juliet. They had their normal menu and valentines menu on for the night and we actually both preferred the normal menu so ordered from that. Food was gorgeous, staff were excellent and the surroundings were perfect. Wasn't a bad price either. I would assume, but should always be double checked, that the Castle will operate like this.

I wouldn't consider the food in the Tower great either. I know of a few businesses who didn't take their Christmas party there this year over price and food quality. Granted, there are some quality restaurants in Waterford I would pick!

Once a year its kinda nice to treat the lady in your life by doing something special by going to a quality restaurant that sits above the day to day restaurant you would usually go to.

Everybody is different though. Some don't agree with spending to much money, others don't agree with the day in general regardless of price and others think its crazy to splash out once in a while. Others are the opposite then completely. :) Are you planning on heading to the tower? Id love to know how you get on. Iv never eaten there myself, reviews put me off!

Maybe I was just lucky last year and got it at their normal rate?! I haven't decided what im doing this year but I probably should book early if I am going anywhere!

We went out every V night for many a year. Got fed up of being herded like cattle, and refuse (both of us) to pay exorbitant prices for food which ANY hotel ultimately prepares very cheaply.

So we usually eat in. Far more relaxing.....and every bit as enjoyable. Best food in the City at the minute? The Munster in Bailey's New Street.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    We went out every V night for many a year. Got fed up of being herded like cattle, and refuse (both of us) to pay exorbitant prices for food which ANY hotel ultimately prepares very cheaply.

So we usually eat in. Far more relaxing.....and every bit as enjoyable. Best food in the City at the minute? The Munster in Bailey's New Street.

A lot of people stay at home these days. Cheaper and more relaxing is right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭jaxy999

I had dinner in the Castle a couple of years ago while on a hen night. We were all treated like royalty. We had a pre dinner drink in the reception (if that's what they call it, not sure) served by the bar staff so we didn't even have to move from the great fire they have!! Dinner was fab. I had Ham Hock fois gras terrine to start I think, and for mains the best steak I have ever had. Can't remember what I had for dessert. Had a great night and as it was my first time there so at least I can say been there done that:)

In saying that, I probably won't go back because it's not really my scene unless I was in a group for a special occasion and Lime Leaf or Bellisimo in Tramore are restaurants I'd prefer to eat in and feel more comfortable in.
    A good few tables had the look of moneyed old girls who probably play bridge and golf all week & dining in the castle is nothing new!!! :D but there were afew tables with couples and it was probably a special night out.

Freddie59 wrote: »

A lot of people stay at home these days. Cheaper and more relaxing is right. :)

I Did that last year. I was lucky as the missus works late sometimes, so by the time she got home dinner was cooked, candles out, wine ready to be poured, flowers everywhere, lights dimmed, very rosemantic!

I think I agree with most of the posters here, the castle would be expensive and its defo not one for returning quickly (even though not been yet) I like the more relaxed places like Belissimo, La Palma (the pizza one) and sometimes a good old Chinese can do the job too :)

I'll also in agreeance (if there is such a word) about vally day being an over hyped rip off, but my lady loves it and loves being treated like a princess every now and then and who am I to argue with that...

As the old phrase goes... "give... and you shall receive" ;)

What we do his have an "our valentines" although it does sound awfully cheap essentially we just wait till the nearest weekend and go out then. on Val night we always just get a take away or maybe cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

DanGlee wrote: »
    I can't compare exactly to faithlegg house, but I have been there a couple of years back and it was lovely, first class... what its like now if they have changed chefs or anything I dunno... but I'd say its still first class!

I'd stay well away from faithlegg hotel.
    Im from faithlegg and have worked in 5star hotels at management level.
    I also had my own restaurant and have traveled the world and have a good knowledge of food and service.

Faithlegg hotel is a total shambles and the food is a discrace.
    They even serve processed chips..my god what chef can't cook home made chips?
    seriously, I've been going there regular since it opened as Its on my doorstep and Its handy for not having to drink and drive but it is a shambles from the top down.
    In all the years I'm going there I've never got a polished clean glass, never mind good food...bar food dishes are totally different every time you order them.

Its a wonderful location and an amazing building but there is no attention to detail or standard of service, they seriously need to get someone in to get the place is shape but I cant ever see it happening.
    From my opinion ALL the staff need some serious training. I would love the management to comment on my comments if your out there....!!!!

Regarding waterford castle....TOP CLASS ..and totally romantic.
    Expensive but all good things in life are.
    Be sure to arrive early and have a walk around and a drink at the fire before your meal and above all...relax as it is sometimes easy to be nervous dining in some restaurants like this but the staff will make you feel a million dollars.
    Waterford can send on my fee for this post when ever it suits them lol

Have a great night.

ziedth wrote: »
    What we do his have an "our valentines" although it does sound awfully cheap essentially we just wait till the nearest weekend and go out then. on Val night we always just get a take away or maybe cook.

Same here. You're not alone.;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm liking the sound of Waterford Castle for a meal. I might book a sneaky early valentines for the end of the month.

Anymore reviews on this place?

Might be heading there tomorrow and its 50/50 on this thread :)

I don't mind paying a little extra for some nice food as don't eat out the whole time, but don't want to pay over the odds for muck food!

I've only had one meal there and it wasn't good but to be fair, it was some months back just after they had opened so perhaps it has improved. The plaques on the wall outside are there since Chez K's so they are not relevant to this restaurant. If you do go, be sure to post your experience, I'll be interested.

Thanks,

I'll defo post a review afterwards.

Bare in mind, I'm no food critique :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Paulo Tullio, the food critic reviewed it in the weekender section of the Independent and was very generous.

Here is the review actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

JPA wrote: »
    Paulo Tullio, the food critic reviewed it in the weekender section of the Independent and was very generous.

Here is the review actually.

take a look at the photo ... it's Carlos Solis from Desperate Housewives :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

old gregg wrote: »
    take a look at the photo ... it's Carlos Solis from Desperate Housewives :D

or the retarded bad fella in superman 2. colonel zods sidekick

• Advertisement

Review threads merged. :)

Advertisement