Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems Sharing my NTL Broadband

Options
  • 10-02-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

We have NTL broadband and I don't know if I'm just configuring it up wrong or something but I cant seem to share my broadband with more that one or two PC/Laptops.

Ive Motorola sb5101e surfboard cable modem which is DHCP server as well

Connected to zyxel prestige 600 series (660hw61)

Connecting the two up can be hit and miss with some rebooting required. When I do get them hooked up I might get a max of 2 PC/Laptops hooked up with the third constantly getting "Limited or no connectivity" when its connected either wired or wireless.

Ive tried having the zyxel as the DHCP server instead of the Motorola and it hits a complete block with no connection to the Internet.

I even tried a different router (Sweex LW050 Router)

Can someone please help because I really want to share the broadband round the house with my housemates and I really cant understand whats the help is going on

Just to let you know Ive a very good understanding of computers and networking. I work in IT support and have configured up numerous networks before this with no problem.

However maybe Ive configured this one up all wrong so if anyone has any help for me I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Can you set bridge mode on the Motorola and then let the other router do DCHP serving and routing?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭daithilfc

Hi FredH3as thanks for the reply... Sorry for the delay getting back to ya I needed to get screen shots form the only Laptop that can connect to the network at the moment.

There is no bridge mode on the modem just a DHCP server mode which you can turn on or off but as i said if you turn it off nothing works at all..

I included screen shots of the GUI

confqv9.th.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Modem simply provides a single IP to one client. It is not a full DHCP server.

The Zyxel 660hw61 is I think a ADSL router, it can't act as a ethernet Router. Maplin, Komplett.ie and Argos have ethernet Routers (sometimes called Cable Routers).

If a Router has a smaller phone type connector for WAN and has ADSL MODEM, then it has no separate ethernet WAN port for the Cable Modem and will not work.
    (Same applies for Ripwave, Breeze, Metro, Digiweb Wireless and some fibre connections).

Generally a Router / Modem for a phoneline /ADSL will work on nothing else, except as a switch and airpoint if you disable DHCP and Internet on it.
    A Cable or Wireless Modem may have DHCP or may be static, but it generally works with only one PC or a WAN port on a Router, not a hub or switch ethernet port.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

yeah watty is right, the Motorola cable modem will only provide you with one IP address at any one time, so don't go changing any settings on the modem.
    Getting an ADSL modem would also be no good to you cos it uses a RJ11 telephone sized connection.

What you need is a (Wireless) Router that will take in a DHCP connection (from your Motorola modem) and then give you out a local IP address for each PC connected to the router.

I'd recommend getting a Linksys WRT54G type router or something similiar :)

I have tried it with two other routers as well just to check

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/wireless-g-mimo-performance-router-with-dd-wrt/

and

http://www.sweex.com/communicatie.php?sectie=12&item=32&artikel=727

Both didn't work at all... The Sweex one is listed on their site as a cable broadband router. In this it look like it picked up the signal but couldn't get any internet access...

Thanks for the help btw :)

• Advertisement

Well the Linksys WRT54GS worked for me at home, but as part of my IT work I have setup a Sweex router on a Chorus connection before and got it working. But I don't know what the model no. of it was.

BTW, it might be just worth checking that the Motorola Cable modem is still working ok? If you had two minutues just connect one of your PC's directly to the Motorola box with a network cable and check that it is giving out an IP address to the PC.

Anyway here's a screen shot of a working Linksys Router on a Chorus connection if that's any help to you:
    (I modified the local IP range slightly from the default 192.168.1.x to 192.168.200.x, but you don't need to worry too much about that - just leave it on the default value.)

linksys.jpg

Thanks Loveless Ill give the sweex one a try again and if not ill look at a Linksys one.

The Modem is technically working (according to NTL support):rolleyes: beasue at least one person can get on.

Usually 2 can get on which confuses me but ill see what happens when I try them again.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

daithilfc wrote: »
    I have tried it with two other routers as well just to check

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/wireless-g-mimo-performance-router-with-dd-wrt/

and

http://www.sweex.com/communicatie.php?sectie=12&item=32&artikel=727

Both didn't work at all... The Sweex one is listed on their site as a cable broadband router. In this it look like it picked up the signal but couldn't get any internet access...

Thanks for the help btw :)

Im using the Buffalo router on NTL at the moment with tomato firmware, DHCP enabled, sp1 firewall etc.

stanley1 wrote: »
    I'm using the Buffalo router on NTL at the moment with tomato firmware, DHCP enabled, sp1 firewall etc.

Hey stanley1, What do you mean tomato firmware? (I understand the firmware part ;) )

Also what configuration do you have set on the modem and router... ?

Thanks Loveless Ill give the sweex one a try again and if not ill look at a Linksys one.

the Sweex one I setup before was: LW050UK
    www.sunelectronics.gr/index.php?SCREEN=products_detail&ProductID=18332

• Advertisement

Loveless wrote: »

Nice one thats the router I have. :) Wont be able try it till sunday or monday though.... away for the weekend.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Hey stanley1, What do you mean tomato firmware? (I understand the firmware part ;) )

Also what configuration do you have set on the modem and router... ?

Here you go

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Config is the same as "loveless" posted, except MTU is set at auto (1500)

Hey Lads, Ive just about given up with this strange Motorola Modem as nothign seems to be working..

Im looking into replacing the Modem with a Cable Modem/ Wireless Router solution.

Especially Im looking into:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1138056788757&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=8875739789B01

OR

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/CG814WG.aspx

Is this as easy as just connecting up the Cable to the New Modem/Router or can there be difficulties changing modems with NTL.

Advertisement