Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for great restaurant in Limerick city centre!

• 10-02-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for a nice, intimate (romatic even!) restaurant in Limerick city centre!! New to the area so all suggestions welcome.

If you can't think of anything romatic I'd settle for great food & atmosphere!

Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Was in Azur on O'Connell St recently enough. Thought it was excellent and rosemantic enough..Just opposite the George hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

vkid wrote: »
    Azur on O'Connell St

i always thought it is a chipper/fastfood/takeaway "restaurant"?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Freddies Bistro - was always a good one when I was in Limerick

i always thought it is a chipper/fastfood/takeaway "restaurant"?! :confused:

nope..v.good food imo. was only ever there for lunch before but really liked it for dinner.
    There's a ****ty chipper next door where that "mexican" used to be though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

My choices would be:
    1. Brulees - corner of Lwr. Mallow St and Henry St.
    2. Freddies - Theatre Lane (between Lrw Glentworth St and Lwr. Mallow St.
    3. Azur - O'Connell St.
    4. Moll Darbys - Georges Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,280 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Market Square Restaurant up on O'Connell Street. Need to book well in advance though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Azur and Moll Darbys are both way overrated. Freddy's is great.
    I dont think I have ever been to Brulees. Unless its that awful place off Thomas st. that only does lunches and has the worst staff ever?

agreed on Moll Darbys. I think its awful but i did think Azur was very good but based on one lunch and one recent dinner.
    Brulees is on the corner of Mallow st and Henry St. Very good but expensive.
    Market Square very good as well but again only been once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭styer

thought Moll Darby's was very good last time I was there... freddy's and market square are excellent... the square can be expensive though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

The creamery in bunratty

I know not in the city but worth a spin out

Cant think of name but on o connell st on left hand side as you drive up halfy way. Its nice too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

yayamark wrote: »

Cant think of name but on o connell st on left hand side as you drive up halfy way. Its nice too

The chicken hut!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

styer wrote: »
    thought Moll Darby's was very good last time I was there... freddy's and market square are excellent... the square can be expensive though...

Dont see what the fuss is with the Market square.. sure, interesting setting and environment and the staff are good, but food was lacklustre to say the least. Had a steak there that would have soaked up a glass of water it was so dry (Medium is how I usual order ). Same night, had tiger prawns which had not been cleaned out properly, so de shelled it and had a nice mess of a stomach sac on the plate. Way to ruin the dinner!

Not just a one off for me unfortunately, as was there another night and was seated close enough to the kitchen/toilet entrance, and had the meal ruined by an overwhelming smell of sewage. Obviously a plumbing problem, but for feck sake, if your going to charge €50 a head, make sure the place is comfortable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Burger King?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭McSween

la piccolar italia beside limerick leader office, enough said!

mind you freddie's is excellent too, they are excellent hosts. might take myself to dinner there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Was in Azur with my wife on Friday evening for the early bird menu and I have to say it was v.nice. One thing I have to point out was that they tried to charge for individual items as opposed to the set menu of the early bird > a difference as it turned out of nearly €25!! I was annoyed at this as all the staff had to do was mark "early bird" or something like that on the order book for the cashier staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Access wrote: »
    Burger King?

Burgerland even?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Burgerland even?

Good old Burgerland. Those were the days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ryanballalley

Hi

Realise this is an old thread but am looking for a nice restaurant in limerick city for a birthday celebration during the week....any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hi

Realise this is an old thread but am looking for a nice restaurant in limerick city for a birthday celebration during the week....any ideas?

Please refer to this thread/discussion.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055507096

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hi

Some great suggestions here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055507096

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thanks Berty, closing thread now (bit old :))

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement