Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Avensis 02-what ye think?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

I wouldn't be a great fan of Toyota's.

I'd imagine the engine would just keep going and going though.

You planning high mileage ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i hear the 1.6 avensis are very heavy on petrol. personally i think the car is a bit plain, boring and worst of all common. if it was my choice id have a passat or 406 preferably diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Get the one that came out in 03. A million billion times better. That kind of Avensis is based on the Carina E that came out in 1992. Avoid.

And the VVTi engines aren't anything like as frugal as the old lean burn engine that was in the early Carina E's either.

Get a 03 new shape 1.8 Luna if you can afford it, it's well worth the extra money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

i could be doing 25,000 plus miles this year, should probably be looking at a diesel really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

E92 wrote: »
    That kind of Avensis is based on the Carina E that came out in 1992. Avoid.
    Avoid?
    You're joking, right?
    Those things go for years with little or no maintenance, and can do ridiculous mileage. Theres still taxis driving around in '92 Carina Es with a million miles on the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

those VVT-i Avensis models aren't hard on petrol at all. they're lighter than the current model.
    Price looks alright, just note that because it's over 80,000 miles, it doesn't qualify for Toyota Dealer Cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Gurgle wrote: »
    Avoid?
    You're joking, right?
    Those things go for years with little or no maintenance, and can do ridiculous mileage. Theres still taxis driving around in '92 Carina Es with a million miles on the clock.

Parents had a Carina E for 8 years and 130,000 miles. Utterly reliable, but utterly rubbish, very uncomfortable, basic, noisy, and very light on the road from what I'm told(I couldn't drive at the time we had it), plus it rattled like nobody's business, and I don't ever remember it being fast either. The Mondeo was a million times better than it for the passenger, and I'm told its a nice car to drive as well so that only makes it better still. Old man now has a 05 1.8 Luna Avensis, a great car but heavy on petrol compared to the Carina E with it's lean burn engine and not as reliable as the Best Built Cars in the World claim either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i hear the 1.6 avensis are very heavy on petrol. personally i think the car is a bit plain, boring and worst of all common. if it was my choice id have a passat or 406 preferably diesel

You mention plain, boring and common then recommend a Passat! :confused:

OP I've had that model and it was fine, not sure about the performance of the 1.6 litre as I had a 1.8 but fuel economy was good as it is a light enough car. Not gone on the price of that one compared to this (though it is a private sale but a year younger and better speced):
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=895033

If you can stretch your budget go for the newer model, I had one of these too and it is light years ahead of the old one.

Others to look at would be the Ford Mondeo Zetec or Mazda 6, both are good cars and are good value these days. Not available in 1.6 though.

Heard something today from a friend but don't know how accurate it is. He claims that there will be new regulations coming in soon regarding the NCT and cars with spoilers will face major problems.

Anybody here heard anything regarding this?

I'm thinking it may just be something to do with modified cars and would not have anything to do with a car such as the Avensis above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

FFS......this nanny state is getting out of hand.
    the NCT plonkers are going to ban spoilers on cars??!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

dugout16 wrote: »
    Heard something today from a friend but don't know how accurate it is. He claims that there will be new regulations coming in soon regarding the NCT and cars with spoilers will face major problems.

I'm thinking it may just be something to do with modified cars and would not have anything to do with a car such as the Avensis above

Eh? Lots of car manufacturers make cars that come with spoilers as standard? So tell your friend I say "Pffft" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hes winding you up.

Thats good, i thought it sounded fairly unlikely myself but said id check here in case! Would seriously cut down my options if it were true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

What would be ye're thoughts on this car??? First impressions?

I like them, but for the year, money and miles, I'd look round a bit more. There is a lot out there at the moment (http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=928361)?

Advertisement