Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady can't cross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Shutup eirebhoy we all know its easier to cross in the SPL....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He is a very good player I just feel sometimes he takes a couple of steps more than he needs two,which sometimes over complicates things.

I have no doubt he will come good for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

:D Made me laugh out loud. :)
    Dub13 wrote:
    He is a very good player I just feel sometimes he takes a couple of steps more than he needs two
    I think stuff like this, basically his intelligence, is very underrated. He's proving that football intelligence isn't something you're born with because he was a bit brainless a few years ago. Strachan is turning him into an intelligent player though and he makes the right option much more than he used to. His through balls are excellent so I don't like to see him played on the right where he tends to stay on the wing. In saying that, his left foot is almost as good as his right and I've seen him take corners with his left.

Where would you play him for Ireland?

I insist he would be perfect playing in a 2007 Real Madrid formation with 3 men playing behind Robbie Keane, and two centre midfielders(Andy Reid and Steven Reid)

I only see him for Ireland and the very odd Celtic game but I have noticed a marked improvement in his play over the last 18 months.Looks like Strachan is doing a good job coaching the lad.He still has a lot of work to do defensively IMO,but as you say the lad is still young.

We will have two very exciting players in Duff and McGeady out wide,with these two playing well and maybe swapping over could give any defense a run for there money.

• Advertisement

Yeh I agree and that's the formation Trapattoni uses.

Reid----Reid
    --Duff---Ireland---McGeady--
    Keane

Quality attacking line up there imo. Reid and Reid are playing deep in midfield for their clubs too so I don't think it'd be too attacking.

Seriously? If he plays that we are sorted, as we manage to get all our best midfielders in the team. Seeing as Steven Reid always gets injured who would you have as his replacement, Garvan I would like but maby that leaves us way too exposed.

**** this might become another Ireland thread.

Once again I don't know how someone, who has no knowledge of the Bulgaria team could look at the team eirebhoy just posted and say we can't qualify for the WC.

Seriously? If he plays that we are sorted,
    Italy

Buffon
    Panucci---Nesta---Cannavaro---Zambrotta
    Perrotta
    Zanetti
    --Camoranesi--Totti----Del Piero

Vieri

Benfica

Quim
    Miguel
    Luisão----R.Rocha---D.Santos
    Petit
    Almeida
    --J.Pereira
    Geovanni
    Simão---
    Nuno Gomes

Class.....post of the year. Bring on Trappa!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Yeh I agree and that's the formation Trapattoni uses.

Reid----Reid
    --Duff---Ireland---McGeady--
    Keane

Quality attacking line up there imo. Reid and Reid are playing deep in midfield for their clubs too so I don't think it'd be too attacking.

eirebhoy that looks a decent formation ever consider applying for the ireland job?:D
    yea think mcgeady is a very good player have seen a big improvement the last year,hes aman with great potential just hope he can fulfil it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Drop Keane from that front line and stick in Doyle and you are on to a winner..

Oh yeah, McGeady can only run with the ball it seems. He can't actually kick it at all.

You think Jesus? I can see your logic, but Keane is better with the ball at his feet, allowing for greater movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Absolutely superb player imo.He can cross/shoot with either foot, has pace, great dribbling skills, scores, works hard, tracks back, tackles and does all of this consistently (this season).

Can Celtic hold onto him?

He got his 9th booking of the season today for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUh3mox2BuA

His only foul in the game and all. He gets treated very, very harshly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

:D:D:D brilliant!

As for celtic holding onto mcgeady, i reckon they will...theres no chance hel move to england now that Huttons down there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't really watch Celtic at all but from Ireland performances he is crap except for the friendly against Brazil

He has a LOT of convincing to do for me yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You think Jesus? I can see your logic, but Keane is better with the ball at his feet, allowing for greater movement.

There is no doubting that Keane is a better all round player but I think you need a striker that is good in the air and holding play up in the type of system above. Keane could certainly play where Ireland is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Does it have 'is not as good as' in the middle of it? ;)

Translation;
    If your house is full of videos from Maradona and your favorite television program are images Messi in action, something spectacular footballer you. And that is indeed the case of Aiden McGeady, dorsal'46 'Celtic and the offensive weapon that Barça would do well to tie in the short and imminent eliminatory round of the Champions.

En anglosajón In Anglo-Saxon

Aiden McGeady is a version blond and imperial Diego and Leo, but - for now-without the media exposure of the cracks and azulgrana former azulgrana to which both admires.

Scots attacker himself, who nevertheless defended the colors of Ireland, explains, "I just had three months when Maradona won the World Cup-86, but always fascinated me. Estudiándole I spent hours in the tapes that I have been piled. A I walked out doing touch with a golf ball and another tennis, I decided to try it and it is fantastic, because then you control the ball better. " What is not silent to err on the side of fanfarrón is that he has been able to give 500 taps followed with the tennis ball and 200 with golf, alternating also both feet.

A McGeady loves "the way that Maradona had to circumvent the adversaries, as now Messi. How I love playing, his technique is much more than just watermarks. Seems to be slipping and apart from him only Ronaldinho is fully capable of do something well, "continues indicating Aiden, whose father John, the former Sheffield United, used to tell little salt and enjoy," to paraphrase the man himself, Johan Cruyff.

McGeady has been compared with Cristiano Ronaldo (ManU) for his explosiveness and months after the raid on the scene with Celtic, in a match against Milan in Champions dating back to April 2004, a portion of the swollen dubbed him 'Aidendinho' an allusion to'10 ', Barcelona.

From small parties combined with the team at his school, of course Catholic, with the suclub, "always playing on Saturday and Sunday, so I curtió." And now, according to its technical Gordon Strachan, a professional of physical preparation, particularly strengthening exercises torso.

At 15 wanted to join the Celtic first team, but she said they wait a little bit, and the 16 he said 'no' to Arsenal to circumvent a 'one to one' with nostalgia Glasgow. On the other hand, went with Eire category in Sub-15, to debut with the total in 2004. Being Irish his paternal grandfather 'defected' to his native Scotland, which made him stick to defend those colors in the combined lower.

If Messi, who because of their involvement in the Copa America enjoyed holidays, had participated in the stage of St. Andrews last summer, it would have gone to see him live. And when he emphasized that with cuts and supersonic football is not enough to succeed, and perfected his style retocó to put his incredible technique in the service of the team.

For example last Sunday, when McGeady made a 'roulette' in the area visiting with three defenses hinder, and the wire used to the ball 'pichichi' liftándolo McDonald. A marvel of action, without nerve-Aiden do not know what pass-through and making it clear that Messi or 'Kun' are not only heirs of Diego Armando Maradona

<edit> fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He got his 9th booking of the season today for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUh3mox2BuA

His only foul in the game and all. He gets treated very, very harshly.
    WTF? A yellow card for that? Referee shoulda went to Specsavers, especially considering he's sponsored by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

For all the "its easy to do it in the SPL" brigade, watch the Aberdeen V Bayern Munich game tonight in the UEFA cup. I guarantee you that nobody in the Bayern team will come even close to putting in a performance like McGeady did at the weekend.

Excellent point Pighead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

oooh look, McGeady cut inside on his right foot. would never have guessed that would happen...

in fairness he's obviously making a lot of improvements, but he's still getting an awful lot more time and space than he'd ever get at the Premiership or international levels. more intelligent defenders would obviously never let him cut inside so easy. The cross that Naka scored from would not have gotten through at a higher level either, feck it shouldn't even get through at the underage level. i just hope he gets to make the move to a better league at the right time, to stay in Scotland for much longer would stunt his development i feel, although a move now would probably be too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I bet McGeady didn't say "circumvent the adversaries";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

oooh look, McGeady cut inside on his right foot. would never have guessed that would happen...

in fairness he's obviously making a lot of improvements, but he's still getting an awful lot more time and space than he'd ever get at the Premiership or international levels. more intelligent defenders would obviously never let him cut inside so easy. The cross that Naka scored from would not have gotten through at a higher level either, feck it shouldn't even get through at the underage level. i just hope he gets to make the move to a better league at the right time, to stay in Scotland for much longer would stunt his development i feel, although a move now would probably be too early.

Would ronaldo be as good in spain or italy? he gets loads of space in england and always does the same tricks and cutbacks and cuts inside very easily:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I honestly can't believe that people are so quick to dismiss McGeady. Did any of you guys watch him against Milan? He made some world class defenders look very silly at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Badabing wrote: »
    Would ronaldo be as good in spain or italy? he gets loads of space in england and always does the same tricks and cutbacks and cuts inside very easily:rolleyes:
    Probably not in Italy, but I reckon he'd have just as easy a time as scoring in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭cm2000

That second assist is one of the best i've seen in a long time. 360 degree spin in between two defenders in their box and an amazing cross. incredible. hopefully he keeps up the consistency

I've heard quite a few people make this point. Do they make the same point about Messi cutting in on his left all the time? McGeady's not a winger. And he's one of the most accomplished players with either foot playing the game atm.
    in fairness he's obviously making a lot of improvements, but he's still getting an awful lot more time and space than he'd ever get at the Premiership or international levels.
    I don't agree at all. I think he'd get a lot more space playing for Ireland. Obviously he's coming up against better players though. Against teams in the CL he'd get more space, bar Milan who are the masters of marking.

Bayern managed a 2-2 draw against Aberdeen tonight btw. ;)

Also, the thing with McGeady is because he's being double marked in Scotland he has to learn how to play in really tight pressurised spaces. He's not going to be taking players on for the rest of his career. He's turning into a playmaker. He'll always be a marked man though. Therefore, learning to play under such tight marking is probably more important than playing against top class defenders. Either way Celtic will probably get a bid for him in a year or so that they can't refuse. There's no better league for a player of his type to learn his trade though. I've no doubt the likes of Pirlo and Riquelme would struggle to get to grips with the SPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

McGeady is up and down, but he's still young. Sometimes he's great, sometimes he's not. Ultimately though, he has to move on. He needs to play consistantly against top defenders, week in week out, if he is really going to push onto that next level.

Maloney ripped it up in the SPL, but is only now starting to find his feet in the premiership. IMO he moved too late. If McGeady moves now, he can continue to be developing, but in a better league. Sunderland in the summer wouldn't be the worst idea in the world I think, but maybe O'Neill would take a chance on him? Somebody in mid-table/challenging for UEFA would give him a bit of freedom to develop naturally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You're having a laugh?

Take those bloody blinkers off

If McGeady does become the player alot of people think he can do followers of the SPL think he can stay in Scotland or will he have to move on...?

PHB wrote: »
    Maloney ripped it up in the SPL, but is only now starting to find his feet in the premiership.
    Can't agree with that. He never looked out of his depth when I saw him at Villa. Playing on the right restricted him an awful lot but his pass success rate is top notch. O'Neill has finally given him a chance on the left though. I love Maloney. He's gonna be class for Villa if MON keeps the faith.

Dub13 wrote: »
    If McGeady does become the player alot of people think he can do followers of the SPL think he can stay in Scotland or will he have to move on...?

He will probably move on because

1. He will be offered **** loads of money especially in the money laden EPL
    2. Celtic will be offered **** loads of money especially from clubs in the money laden EPL

He will not have to move on to the EPL just to prove that he can cut it. That is just arrogant blinkered nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Moving to Sunderland means at least 10 times a year, he will go up against a top top class defence. That's in comparison to barely once in the SPL, and then whatever happens in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't think McGeady is the bees knees. I agree with PHB, he's very up and down. He can look incredible one minute and like a schoolboy the next. I'm not (Eirebhoy) saying he is not an intelligent player, I am saying that he needs to mature and he needs to learn to lose a few of his more schoolboy error traits (like taking too many touches, not looking up sooner and trying too many tricks).

So yeah, he's very inconsistant and up and down and as such, I don't think he's as good as people are touting. Will he become *that* good? I do see similarities in his strengths and his flaws with another young player who, several years ago was said to be inconsistant and immature.... he's currently the star player at Man United.... so who knows.

Moving to Sunderland means at least 10 times a year, he will go up against a top top class defence. That's in comparison to barely once in the SPL, and then whatever happens in Europe.

That is of course if Sunderland manage to stay in the premiership.
    Lets do the math here.
    lets say each of the top 6 in england are "top class" defences. Thats 12 games, add in a couple of cup games if you want, thats 14.
    Lets give Rangers the benefit of being the only other team in Scotland that has a "top class" defence, thats 4 games, and well give them 1 cup game that makes 5.
    now, give Celtic at least 6 champions league games, that takes us up to 11.

And even then, he may be coming up against top clas defenders, but how much of a chance is he going to have when playing for a team who are under the cosh for 90 percent of the game?

The only reason any young player really has for going to the exagerated premier league is exposure, and money.
    He can win things at Celtic (or at least challenge :p) and is pretty much guarenteed european football every year.....or he could sign for sunderland and fight relegation every year and will be seen as a "luxury" player while keanos journeymen fight for their lifes...

Except, he'll never be at a top 4 club if he stays at Celtic. Miller ruined that for all of them. Maybe Brown has a shot at it, maybe, but I doubt it.
    If he ever wants to be at one of the top clubs in the world, which he does, he has to move to the premiership.

As for your 11, Rangers defence is nowhere near as good as the top 5, incl. Everton, then maybe maybe it's on par with Villa, City, Portsmouth, West Ham, Spurs, maybe.
    Then again, I don't think it is.

As for the idea that Sunderland isn't better, that they are under the cosh, that's what needed. If he can't hack it there, he's not good enough. Young was good enough to do it there, as was Pennant, as was Richardson. If McGeady can't hack it there, he'll never be good enough.

Pure utter arrogance, i find it amazing how much people fall for the hype about the english league i really do.
    To suggest that Sunderland is a step up from Celtic is nothing short of laughable.

Just take a look at Aberdeens result tonight against Bayern, yes it was a one off, but could you see Villa, or Bolton or any of your other non-descript middle of the road Premiership teams pulling that off? Let alone Sunderland.

And Miller ruined it for scottish players? So your trying to say now that because Alex Ferguson made a mistake on one young scottish player, that nobody will ever sign a scottish player again? Thats crazy talk.

You say Brown may have a chance, well for me that shows how much you actually know about scottish football because i would say McGeady is having a far more successful season than Brown, who has been extremely inconsistant since the early parts of the season.

Im not denying that the EPL package as a whole isnt better than the SPL, but that doesnt automatically make every player in it better than the best of the SPL, especially when your talking teams like sunderland.

• Advertisement

Just take a look at Aberdeens result tonight against Bayern, yes it was a one off, but could you see Villa, or Bolton or any of your other non-descript middle of the road Premiership teams pulling that off? Let alone Sunderland.

Bolton beat Atletico Madrid 1-0 tonight.

People are still gona buy SPL players, I'd just be very surprised if a top 4 club did it any time soon.

I'm not saying McGeady can't make it, i'm saying he'll never reach a high enough level if he doesn't move on. Just like Van Nist would never have stepped up to that higher level unless he moved out of Holland to United then to Real. It's how football works.

There is a balance to be had when you should move. Go too early and it might not work out, go too late and it won't work out.

I'm not saying McGeady can't make it, i'm saying he'll never reach a high enough level if he doesn't move on. Just like Van Nist would never have stepped up to that higher level unless he moved out of Holland to United then to Real. It's how football works.

But Van Nistelrooy took a step up when he moved to Utd, going to sunderland from Celtic isnt a step up in my eyes.
    To take a step up by leaving celtic and going to what is percieved as a better league he would still need to be going to a team who are at least there or thereabouts when it comes to challenging for trophies.

Spurs, everton, villa wouldnt be bad choices in terms of a completely objective point of view, (this is where my bias kicks in) when you play for a club like rangers or celtic you really need to be looking at top four or everything is a step down in terms of "stature".

EDIT: good result for bolton though! ;)

Except McGeady isn't anywhere near Van Nist's class.
    Sunderland I think will stay up, and I think will have good investment, and I think will continue on the up.

That said, obviously Spurs, Everton and Villa would be better places than Sunderland. Celtic and Rangers in my view are at about the level of challenging for the UEFA Cup, not quite Everton's or Spurs standard, but Villa/Portsmouth/Blackburn standards.

Sunderland I think will stay up, and I think will have good investment, and I think will continue on the up.

That said, obviously Spurs, Everton and Villa would be better places than Sunderland. Celtic and Rangers in my view are at about the level of challenging for the UEFA Cup, not quite Everton's or Spurs standard, but Villa/Portsmouth/Blackburn standards.

You wouldnt think that if you read the scottish press!v:p;)

As for the level of clubs, as i say i think our own Bias tends to mean we could argue the ins and outs of that all night, but i still stand by what i say in terms of stature, and prestige. Mikel Arteta said recently that he wishes he had never left Rangers and i reckon he would get a game for any of the top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Eirebear wrote: »
    Bolton beat Atletico Madrid 1-0 tonight.

http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,1004,00.html

And they drew 2-2 with Bayern, away.

or Larsson from Feyenoord to Celtic to his end of career sojourn at Barcelona and MU

I have heard it all before from those that believe football = the EPL

Eirebear wrote: »
    As for the level of clubs, as i say i think our own Bias tends to mean we could argue the ins and outs of that all night, but i still stand by what i say in terms of stature, and prestige. Mikel Arteta said recently that he wishes he had never left Rangers and i reckon he would get a game for any of the top four.
    Arteta couldn't hack the SPL and I honestly believe he'd look less classy than he does now if he joined Rangers or Celtic tomorrow. I doubt there's a tougher league in the world for a playmaker to play than the SPL. I can only imagine Naka playing for the likes of Man Utd or Spurs. At Celtic he's double marked. At Reggina he was defending for most of the games.

And when I say playmaker I don't include the likes of Maloney. He's an attacking wide player. As is McGeady currently. He's going to be a playmaker though so no better place to learn your trade, especially under the coaching of Strachan (that's the crucial bit actually). He'll then find it much easier when he moves to one of the top leagues.

Actually, look at Spain at Windsor Park. They could play that game 10 times over and they'd struggle because they're a team of playmakers. That's exactly the type of teams Celtic come up against away from home bar the odd exception (Hibs, Falkirk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

this thread is hilarious.

Sunderland a step up from Celtic. :D

Keep the Friday frivolity coming.

There is not one Sunderland player who would make the Celtic XI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

and he never will be. He's an average frustrating player at the minute, and will over improve so much over the next few years. Has the potential still to be a very good player, but alot of work is needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement