Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGeady can't cross

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kerr:

"Aiden is a Celtic fan and a Celtic kid, so you can see him staying there for the rest of his career.

"He wants to stay and if the lad enjoys the environment and playing regularly then he might be happy enough.

"We are seeing a lot more of him for Celtic in Europe and his league performances have been exceptional.

"He was outstanding again last Sunday and also showed how good he was when he played against Brazil for Ireland last week.

"But when a player is with a Scottish club it is sometimes hard to measure just how good he is.

"It is only in the Champions League and international matches that you can really judge them.

"That is because the league in Scotland is not competitive enough on a regular basis.

"Although Larsson is hugely admired outside of Britain, a lot of that was based on his performances in international football and in European games at club level.

"Aiden just has to keep his head down and keep doing well for Celtic in Europe and for Ireland.

"That is enough at the moment because he is still young. Who knows where he can go in the future but he may have to leave Scotland to make a bigger name for himself.

"Aiden has come of age. He was quite young when he broke into the first team at Celtic and when he was first capped.

"Some of it is natural progression but there is a lot of pressure on him playing in the Celtic first team at his age, particularly when there was controversy surrounding him playing for Ireland.

"But he has handled that very well. He is a strong character. He is tough mentally and is toughening up physically which is helping him.

"Aiden is also becoming more consistent on a week in, week out basis. I knew he had the attitude to ignore other people and make a name for himself. He had to show that kind of character very early on when he chose Ireland over Scotland.

"I had dealings with him when he was 16 and 17 and he was very determined about what he wanted to do.

"I never had any doubts he was going to be a top, top player.

"Some of the criticism he got was off the wall and from people who didn't understand he was still a very young lad.

"He is still only 21 and is blossoming into a real player.

"Aiden had a great love for the game as a kid and he still does. He always wanted to train and loved doing it.

"He works hard at the game and loves watching matches which will have helped him.

"He is maturing as a player and his decision-making has improved. He knows when to release the ball and when to stay on it.

"The fact he has got physically stronger has helped him to be a bit more confident and to bring the required consistency into his game. I never had any doubts he would mature into a fine player.

"I gave him very little time on the pitch but that was only because he was so young.

"He was waiting on that physical development and maturity to come. Now it's there he has the world at his feet."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Is this the same Kerr that never gave McGeady a chance when he was boss?
    That's the one. And there's a reason I didn't post that article. I can't stand that bloody rag and their stupid headlines.

I don't see anything wrong in what Kerr said. I do see a lot wrong in the headline.

Kerr's incredibly knowledgeable and it annoys me to read a paper like that make him out to be anti Celtic or anti SPL when he watches more Scottish football than the vast majority of people in Ireland.

McGeady sets up Vennegoor for Celtic's first goal with a cross with his left from the edge of the box.

He set up Celtic's 3rd with a nice little inside pass for Hinkel. His 13th assist of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

BBC gossip column today has him linked to us -
    Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is eyeing up Celtic midfielder Aiden McGeady. (News of the World)

City have been linked with him all season. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

eirebhoy you must say if England is McGeady's option, and he can't get into any of the 'Big Four'(bar perhaps Liverpool) at the moment, surely Man City would be a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Only watched the highlights last night but he seemed to have a good game. Gave Puyol a torrid time.
    Plus an assist and was instrumental in the other goal.
    Pity Celtic won't be going any further in the competition. I reckon they'll be a few clubs coming a knocking at his door soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Drop Keane from that front line and stick in Doyle and you are on to a winner..

Oh yeah, McGeady can only run with the ball it seems. He can't actually kick it at all.

Now that is just daft. Keane who is one of the best strikers in the premiership dropped for Doyle!!! It'd be like dropping Dunne for McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he's gona get some interest in the summer. I just hope that Celtics price tag isn't too restrictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

have you not heard he has signed for FC Utrecht Ladies?

http://www.fc-utrecht.nl/en/teams/vrouwen_fc_utrecht/Denise_van--Luyn

That is ****ing scary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

PHB wrote: »
    I think he's gona get some interest in the summer. I just hope that Celtics price tag isn't too restrictive.

What does that mean? £1m, £10m or £100m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Call_me_al wrote: »

Very Good!

• Advertisement

Lol. I'm sure they'd make beautiful babies! 2 negatives make a plus donchaknow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

lol saw that picture during the week...scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Just got it in an email. The resemblance is ridiculous

So would ya?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ziggy wrote: »

I don't think he will either TBH, not for a while. If he has any sense, he'll have seen Miller, and more recently Maloney and Petrov and hopefully thought it best to stick around a bit longer rather than ending up like them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

ziggy wrote: »

I don't think he will either TBH, not for a while. If he has any sense, he'll have seen Miller, and more recently Maloney and Petrov and hopefully thought it best to stick around a bit longer rather than ending up like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ that resemblence is ridiculous alright!
    Spot the Aiden;
    http://www.fc-utrecht.nl/imagehandler/contentperson/xDWRA-deniseluyn.jpg
    http://www.football.co.uk/shared/images/news/aidenmcgeady.jpg

He mentioned that he fancied Spain at some point didn't he? Think that would suit his game better then England would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm in tears laughing at that :D

I saw the £12m Newcastle report in this morning's Daily Hun. Whether Newcastle are really interested and would pay that sort of money is one thing, but I couldn't see Celtic turning that much cash down.

It would be bad enough to see Aiden go, but I'd be gutted to see both him and Boruc - who I'm sure will be sold for the right price next transfer window - legging it in the summer. :(

The Irish Mirror have an article saying Bayern Munich want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote: »
    The Irish Mirror have an article saying Bayern Munich want him.

thats a bit nuts, what would they do with him? Already have Ribery and Sweinschteiger (sp?!)

It's probably a load of rubbish as it is the Mirror. Schweinsteiger hasn't really lived up to his potential though has he? McGeady's improving all the time. Schweinsteiger looks no better than he was 3 or 4 years ago.

I could see MON, who keeps a keen eye on Irish and Scotish players, taking a shot at him. The addition of him and Barnes to the squad would be pretty tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Come on, how many Irish players have been linked to moves abroad that have just been hogwash. Breen? Duff? Ireland? I think even Dunne was linked witha Serie A side.

McGeady would probably fair as well as Keane did abroad. He'd do ok but not set the world alight.

I honestly think we're a funny bunch, we laugh and ridicule the English press for "overhyping" players because they're English and then we laud our own players with hyperbole and nonsense. I mean McGeady did ok against Barca but for an assist in a game against a team, that, while performing a masterclass in attack, showed they have defensive frailtie, I don't think he'd get a call to Italy or Spain.

• Advertisement

Irish players generally don't do non-English speaking leagues anyway.

Another assist by McGeady just there. Superb cross for Samaras. To have 15 assists is fantastic considering I can't remember him taking an indirect set piece this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

McGeady has really impressed me from what i've seen of him this year. As a liverpool fan, i'm torn. Part of me really wants us to sign him, as he seems to have everything we're missing in wide areas. But the other part of me says he'd be just another good, but not great signing, a la Pennant or Benayoun. i really don't know. If we sign two wingers in the summer i think maybe he could be one of them.

Nobody update this thread with his latest assist? ;) Another excellent cross for Samaras on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm still waiting for the list of Sunderland players who would make the Celtic squad, let alone first team, that McGeady would be stepping up to. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

what was he like last night. Times didn't really mention him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm still waiting for the list of Sunderland players who would make the Celtic squad, let alone first team, that McGeady would be stepping up to. ;)

Squad, definates imo would be Reid, Jones, Gordon, Evans, Pica. I'm sure a few others would too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Tauren wrote: »
    Squad, definates imo would be Reid, Jones, Gordon, Evans, Pica. I'm sure a few others would too.

Gordon as backup keeper agreed. Jones, Pica and Evans as cover possibly.

Reid would get nowhere near the Celtic side. Ahead of McGeady, Naka, Brown and Robson? Get a grip

sweetie wrote: »
    what was he like last night. Times didn't really mention him.

Didn't get a look in first half, got a bit of ball in the 2nd half and looked good when he did, but Barca were on him like glue.

Celtic's lack of possession in general was the reason for his quietness.

• Advertisement

A compliment in itself how tightly they marked him. 2 or 3 players on him every time he got it. He skinned Zambrotta in the first half and left him for dead but he did it in his own half. He had to play way too deep. That was the only time he got around Zambrotta but he came inside a lot more in the 2nd half and linked up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

has the Naka love affair died down a bit Eirebhoy? ;)

Naka and McGeady aren't in any way similar. Like comparing Kaka to Pirlo but on a lower level. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

For me Archie McPherson's (STV) quote last night sums up McGeady's performance.
    "He is really enjoying testing himself at this level, its just a shame he hasnt seen more of the ball":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Naka and McGeady aren't in any way similar

i know that :rolleyes: just there was a time when any post you made was laced with love for Mr Naka! its calmed down somewhat!:D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i know that :rolleyes: just there was a time when any post you made was laced with love for Mr Naka! its calmed down somewhat!:D
    It quietened down probably because he was injured. :) He was Celtic's best player last night after his poor showing in the first leg.

• Advertisement
Advertisement