Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

broken wheel

Options
  • 10-02-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi i have a hyundai accent 01 and was putting on the spare wheel (because of a flat tyre)any way when i was thighting one of the wheel nuts the steel bolt snapped and i was left with a nut and the snapped bar inside it.I did not think that was possible i was standing on the hand wrench to make sure it was thight but i din,t think you could break the bolt.Does anybody know of a garage that could fix this in the north dublin artane area thanks for reading this and for any help you could give would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I presume it was the head of the bolt that you broke - not the wheel! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

I presume it was the head of the bolt that you broke - not the wheel! :confused:
    sorry yes it was the head of the bolt

Can the other 3/4 bolts be fitted normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

A Tyre fitter may be able to sort you out as it's something that happens them from time to time.

Can the other 3/4 bolts be fitted normally?

yes it,s only the one that broke but i assume it would be dangerous to drive with just the orther 3 so no way would i chance it.A tyre fitter cheers i think there is one of them in fairview.

• Advertisement

yes it,s only the one that broke but i assume it would be dangerous to drive with just the orther 3 so no way would i chance it.A tyre fitter cheers i think there is one of them in fairview.
    I probably get crucified for saying this but the other 3 should be enough if you take it easy and live reasonably close to a tyre fitters.

cheers lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

i was thighting one of the wheel nuts the steel bolt snapped and i was left with a nut and the snapped bar inside it
    You will need a HSS drill bit, an 'Easy-out' and a drill.

3 minute job, it would be a shame to pay a garage €60 for pretending it was a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

OP will still need a new stud and nut, or so it seems from "i was left with a nut and the snapped bar inside it". Difficulty of this job depends on whether it's a drum or disc brake. The broken stud will need to be hammered out the back of the drum or disc and the new one pressed in.

It's not a big deal but nor would I consider €60 to be a rip off price for it.

Thanks everybody for your help i got it sorted today 50 euro not to bad i tought it would cost alot more

• Advertisement
Advertisement