Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plea for help!

Options
  • 10-02-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Help!

Right its not so dramatic.. its just every boyfriends worst nightmare. I have no idea what to give my girlfriend for her 25th birthday.

She had a list of stuff she would have liked and convienantly gave this to everyone but me. And

All ideas I have come up have been met with "Amm not really" (things like a spa weekend, photoshoot, luggage she wanted, new furniture she was thinking about).

Its easier to ask her if she would like it rather than have her not.. she is that type of girl , she doesnt really do surprises and she is practical, knows what she likes and knows what she doesnt.

So I was think jewallery, but she got 2 necklaces for her birthday already(had a party with her family this weekend and her birthday is next Sat). I got her a ring for her birthday last year a 14ct white gold claddagh ring. So ...

Any ideas ladies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Ginger wrote: »
    Help!

Right its not so dramatic.. its just every boyfriends worst nightmare. I have no idea what to give my girlfriend for her 25th birthday.

She had a list of stuff she would have liked and convienantly gave this to everyone but me. And

All ideas I have come up have been met with "Amm not really" (things like a spa weekend, photoshoot, luggage she wanted, new furniture she was thinking about).

Its easier to ask her if she would like it rather than have her not.. she is that type of girl , she doesnt really do surprises and she is practical, knows what she likes and knows what she doesnt.

So I was think jewallery, but she got 2 necklaces for her birthday already(had a party with her family this weekend and her birthday is next Sat). I got her a ring for her birthday last year a 14ct white gold claddagh ring. So ...

Any ideas ladies?

Nintendo DS / Wii?

A holiday for you both?
    (things like a spa weekend, photoshoot, luggage she wanted, new furniture she was thinking about).

I agree with her and would not like any of these for my birthday, unless of course the spa weekend was with you, are you willing to get into a mudbath and have facials and massages?

would she like lessons in something? aparently there's scuba diving down in kerry, maybe ye could both go down for a few days and do some of that? is she into adventure weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well we were based in Norway, and she is like me, give me a tank and a reg and you wont see us till we are sucking the dry ends of the bottle. She is qualified AOW. We spent 2 weeks in Koh Tao diving together.

But!!!!!! Your diving idea just might be the trick.. I am trying to sort out my dry suit course here and she might be interested in that. And I could get her, her own diving computer.

sorry I didn't spot your location there! I didn't understand half of what you said but hope i gave you an idea anyway :D put thought and effort into it and she'll love it whatever it is, above all we love quality time together ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

Well we were based in Norway, and she is like me, give me a tank and a reg and you wont see us till we are sucking the dry ends of the bottle. She is qualified AOW. We spent 2 weeks in Koh Tao diving together.

But!!!!!! Your diving idea just might be the trick.. I am trying to sort out my dry suit course here and she might be interested in that. And I could get her, her own diving computer.

Jasus if she's not happy with that and dumps you will you date me? lol :D:D

Cathooo wrote: »
    sorry I didn't spot your location there! I didn't understand half of what you said but hope i gave you an idea anyway :D put thought and effort into it and she'll love it whatever it is, above all we love quality time together ;)

Well she has been on about diving more in Norway, so I think it would be a good idea. The course is about 250each and the computer is about 500€ so well within my current budget. I love diving with her, even if she uses air like a sparrow and I use it like ... something that breathes heavy!!!

I am taking her to New York for my birthday and we are looking at someplace in Caribbean for new years if I can manage it. I promised her a cruise when she finished her exams.

Thanks for the idea, I think she will like it.

• Advertisement

Baudelaire wrote: »
    Jasus if she's not happy with that and dumps you will you date me? lol :D:D

Hopefully she will be. Otherwise, I am in deep water.. (delicious pun!)

Well she has been on about diving more in Norway, so I think it would be a good idea. The course is about 250each and the computer is about 500€ so well within my current budget. I love diving with her, even if she uses air like a sparrow and I use it like ... something that breathes heavy!!!

I am taking her to New York for my birthday and we are looking at someplace in Caribbean for new years if I can manage it. I promised her a cruise when she finished her exams.

Thanks for the idea, I think she will like it.

:eek::eek: wow that's one spoiled lady :D lucky her!!!!

enjoy giving her the pressie then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Wow!! :eek::eek:
    Very Lucky lady indeed!!

New York? The Caribbean? 2 necklaces? 14ct white gold claddagh ring?

Is it wrong that i'm very jealous of this lady??

Go you!! Good luck, the diving idea sounds great!!

She has to put up with me.. thats cause enough!

I will be 30 this year so hence travelling to NY. And she only turns 25 once!

Wow!! :eek::eek:
    Very Lucky lady indeed!!

New York? The Caribbean? 2 necklaces? 14ct white gold claddagh ring?

Is it wrong that i'm very jealous of this lady??

Go you!! Good luck, the diving idea sounds great!!

:o Well her folks gave her the necklace. And one piece of jewellary from your boyfriend isnt a whole lot.

Suppose it looks like a lot, but hey when you both enjoy it, its not really a present for her then is it :)

• Advertisement

Thanks again for the idea. Will let you know if it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

...And she only turns 25 once!

Aw... if only all men thought this way!!
    hehehe!!

Actually she is now 25 for the rest of her life. I am the one that gets older.

After chatting with her last night, the diving idea is a good idea. I think she is on for it. So happy days..

Now I just trying to source her a decent computer. With import tax in Norway absolutely horrendous, I am getting one shipped to Ireland which I can collect at Easter. Which means she wont get it for her birthday, but she is OK with that. Or when her folks go to the states after Easter pick 2 up there.

Now all we have to do is wait for the water to warm up past 5C to go diving.

Thank you all for your input.. muchos appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Hiya!

Try diveinn.com or aquaholics.org for the dive computer.... best prices on the net!

always best to ring them in aquaholics for best price tho, and delivery is free!!

Ur girlfriend is one lucky lady btw!

Best price I found was DeepBlue. I was looking at the Vyper2 for her and the Vytec DS + transmitter for me. Think all in it was €1069 for both computers and delivery.

Must take a look at aquaholics and see what they have.

She is happy with the course, and I said I would also pay her membership to the dive club as well.

Dunno about the lucky bit, suppose its subjective really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

ah yes.... deepblu... forgot about them, very good pricewise also!
    Sounds like you're getting a good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Engagement ring!!

I know she would say no... we have talked about it, and its a case when its right, we will both know

I know she would say no... we have talked about it, and its a case when its right, we will both know

Lucky Girl!:)

• Advertisement

Ok.. i have to ask what makes her so lucky??

Maybe I am being a bit naive here, and possibly I do spoil her somewhat but she does the same thing in her own way. Its not as extravagant but it has the same effect.

Well the fact that you care about what her opinion is of your present...

The fact that you are bringing her away on a cruise after her exams...

The fact that you are in the Ladies lounge looking for our opinions...

the fact you are off to New york for your birthday...

The fact that you are mature enough not to be pressured into marriage..

Lots of things really..

Your getting a thumbs up from me!

Cool thanks :o

Well first off you ask a mechanic about cars, computer nuts about buying your PC so i will ask ladies about buying a gift for my lady!

I would prefer her to enjoy rather than secretly go "man thats not what I wanted at all, how can he be sooooo blind!!!" I know what its like to get lousy presents.

I have gone somewhere for my birthday every year for the last 5. And no point going on my own is there?

Ah well, her birthday comes around once a year so she deserves something nice.

Just to give you all an update

We chatted about it and she is really on for the whole dry suit course, even running on further with other ideas (wildfire effect!!!)

So I am giving her a present of the course, a new dive computer and membership. There is also the usual champagne, flowers and dinner too. (we will be going out 3 years at the end of the month so she gets 2 nice meals out)

But.. here is the good bit, she told me she wanted regs (things you breathe with) for Christmas which is great, I know what to get her 10 months in advance!!!!! Wahooo! And I can order ones for her in advance and make sure she likes them.

The idea is to get all the kit so that we can go diving regularly during the summer. We live near the sea and her grandparents live on an island in the south so she is really looking to do a couple of dives down there as well. And in the winter we will hopefully have drysuits.

Thanks to all of you for your input and ideas especially Cathyooo you are wee little legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭professorpete

"...All ideas I have come up have been met with "Amm not really" (things like a spa weekend, photoshoot, luggage she wanted, new furniture she was thinking about). "

Hey Ginger, hope the present hunting is going well; I'm in the same boat, girfriend's 30th birthday, taking her away to Copenhagen for the weekend, but I want to get something really really special cos it's the big 3-oh! I was reading your post anyway and saw the photoshoot idea, and remembered that she'd said to me a few times inthe past that she'd love a set of professional pics of us together; sort of classy black and white jobs, with us all spruced up and nice looking!! well, just wondering would you or anyone know where i could start looking for such a service? Or would someone have done the same thing and how did it go down?

Anyway, I was in a hole trying to think of something original and something she'd genuinely like, so thanks for putting that idea on the table!!!

Thanks, Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Eternity ring - doesn't have the baggage of an engagement ring but it's diamonds all the same. If she's a practical gal like you say, then she's probably been given practical things all her life, so be spo:pntaneous, the ring will blow her away 'specially if she's not expecting it what with all the diving talk..... if you could afford it you could do both but I know that'd cost you some wedge!

good luck Ginger, she's lucky to have you ;)

Ok the original budget was in the region of 3K for her present ... so I am getting off very lightly

I have ordered the computer for her and she is really excited about it...

"...All ideas I have come up have been met with "Amm not really" (things like a spa weekend, photoshoot, luggage she wanted, new furniture she was thinking about). "

Hey Ginger, hope the present hunting is going well; I'm in the same boat, girfriend's 30th birthday, taking her away to Copenhagen for the weekend, but I want to get something really really special cos it's the big 3-oh! I was reading your post anyway and saw the photoshoot idea, and remembered that she'd said to me a few times inthe past that she'd love a set of professional pics of us together; sort of classy black and white jobs, with us all spruced up and nice looking!! well, just wondering would you or anyone know where i could start looking for such a service? Or would someone have done the same thing and how did it go down?

Anyway, I was in a hole trying to think of something original and something she'd genuinely like, so thanks for putting that idea on the table!!!

Thanks, Pete

Maybe ask the guys and girls in the photo forum they may have a better idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Ok the original budget was in the region of 3K for her present ... so I am getting off very lightly

I have ordered the computer for her and she is really excited about it...

dude - 3k is wayyyy too much - i'm thinking something afoot here.
    why do you feel the need to spend so much?

• Advertisement

Sorry that was meant to read up to 3K NOK .. sorry I think sometimes in EUR and sometimes in NOK

Advertisement