Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andew Maxwell

Options
  • 10-02-2008 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Anybody else been to his latest show in Vicar Street?

Here's my review on it (spoilered)
    First and foremost, he was pretty late getting on to the stage, which was a problem as I was already through one and a half bottles since sitting at our table and was desperate to break the seal.
    Introducing himself over the mic was pretty good and unexpected and the show took off at a pretty good pace. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a break was called for. A bit disappointing given that it was only about 25 minutes into the set. Break was meant to be 15 minutes and ended up being a half hour, but that's not that important really.

I was really disappointed at his recycling of old jokes, such as the one about his mate moving out of London so his kids "don't come home speaking a foreign language some day" and how he'd exploit this to see what they could get at the curry house. Had heard that one numerous times before, certainly on Irish tv and to be using it on an Irish set was rather weak.

He handled the crowd very well though. and those who shouted anything remotely negative (such as a drunken "posh" bird who said she didn't want to be there in the first place).

A lot of new stuff was put into the set, or at least I hadn't heard it before, and his delivery and timing was extremely good. The last joke regarding the IRA wasn't great though, and he could have certainly went out on something better.

Regardless, it was a good gig and I enjoyed it, though with the use of such old jokes in parts of it I'm leaving it at 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Was about 30 mins before a break, followed by an hour afterwards, so not bad overall

So what do you did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

I was at the gig in vicar st last tuesday and thought it was pretty good, he was on for about 45mins in the first part which was the better part. Took a 20min break and then out for about 45mins again in the 2nd part which i was a little disapointed with as i'd heard alot of the jokes before.
    He was a lot better than another comedian i've seen in vicar st recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

I have to agree with Madson, weined a little bit after the interval but totally worth the money to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭jph100

i was there on thursday and he wasnt half as good as i thought he wud be. still had a laugh though.

seen better comedians there recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

i got his DVD and i was kinda dissapointed with that. i've seen some of his other stuff on youtube and him on the panel and that stuff was much funnier. it was a good dvd but it was almost like...i don't know..he didn't care or the stuff he said didn't really interest him. He always seemed kinda intellegent but his dvd was a bit stupid really. Still hilarious though

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's one of the unfunniest men on our TV screens. Absolutely useless. Has a bad attitude and relies on his exaggerated scanger accent to get a laugh. Don't know why anyone would go to watch him live.

THUMBS WAY DOWN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I agree with whats said above about the opening part probably being the funniest part (
    The joke about pee being opportunistic was class
    ), pity it only lasted 30 mins the night I went!

None of the old jokes were in the first part though which was obviously taken well, it's just a shame they were worked into the second part. Doesn't say much about his creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

rb_ie wrote: »
    (
    The joke about pee being opportunistic was class
    ).

fullmooners is defo the place to see maxwell, its when he is in his element! and the above joke is brilliant when its done to steve hughes playin the drums, or as part of the comedy "say-ance" (sp???) if steve isnt there, people really should see fullmooners....best comedy night ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

He's one of the unfunniest men on our TV screens. Absolutely useless. Has a bad attitude and relies on his exaggerated scanger accent to get a laugh. Don't know why anyone would go to watch him live.

THUMBS WAY DOWN.[/quote]

Never a truer word spoken. He's muck. I've no idea where he got this reputation as the next big thing in Irish comedy from. He's about as funny as a broken leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Have to agree with Mr. Niceguy.
    He seems to have this strange attitude thing going on and his material is generally weak.
    Just unfunny really i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Are you people basing it on having seen him live, or just what you've seen on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭navin.r.johnson

Both. Seen him live about 2 years ago and his 'what if the first place aliens landed was north dublin' bit was for me the most excruciatingly unfunny piece of stand up I've seen since Jim Davidson did 'impressions' of chinese people. As for The Panel, Maxwells input, even if it was funny, wouldn't change the fact that it's poorly made television.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Saw him in the village last night, terribly bad I thought. So much so that I was tempted to just leave during it. I'm not sure if the whole drunk act was faked but he cam across like a bumbling fool and lack any conviction in his delivery. any else there last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

I have never seen him live (other than Then Panel live, in which he recycled a joke from his DVD...), but I'm a fan of him, still. It's incredibly annoying that he uses jokes that he should know we have heard before. I went to see The Panel live in February and he told joke about Leo DiCaprio's small face ;S I later discovered he had used it ON TELEVISION at least 6 years prior to that. I'd love to hear some new stuff from him, because I like his stage presence and do find him funny, but I'm not sure he's entirely capable at this stage...

Advertisement