Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Markings

Options
  • 10-02-2008 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi,

I wonder if anyone gets as peeved as I do when I visit Easons and other stores that dont individually mark prices on magazines and other products. In a busy place with many magazines not where they are supposed to be the idea of trying to spot the little sticker on the shelf is ludicrous. You'd need to be an olympic standard gymnast and have 20/20 vision.

I am pretty sure that the law (in fact if properly enforced) requires that they be individually priced. I have taken this up with Consumer Agency a few times but without success. Anybody out there feel the same.

Feachan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As long as a shop has a price displayed where the product is presented on the shelf it is fine. Let me put it this way. I have a coke fridge in my shop with a price displayed. If a customer picks up a coke, goes down the back of the shop , finds he has no money, and decides to drop the coke there and leave, how can I be responsible for not having a price under it? Extreme example perhaps, but similar to the mags in easons or any other shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Feachan wrote: »
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone gets as peeved as I do when I visit Easons and other stores that dont individually mark prices on magazines and other products. In a busy place with many magazines not where they are supposed to be the idea of trying to spot the little sticker on the shelf is ludicrous. You'd need to be an olympic standard gymnast and have 20/20 vision.

I am pretty sure that the law (in fact if properly enforced) requires that they be individually priced. I have taken this up with Consumer Agency a few times but without success. Anybody out there feel the same.

Feachan

Most Easons shops have scanners where you can check the price of news items before you go up to pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I must say, this really really really annoys me too. In super markets especially. I find the little labels rarely correspond to the location of the item. Very often, there's no price at all!

For some reason, this seems to be worst in the frozen food section. You might be looking in an area that has a bazillion brands and sizes of frozen peas, but that elusive combination of pack size and producer is just nowhere to be found on the price label rack.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No law at all.

Furthermore, any price listed is only an entreat to sale and doesn't necesarily have to be honoured by the shop, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I find that the supermarkets are quite good on price markings, the worst place is PC World, in the past year I purchased 5 items from them and only 1 was correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The law is that where you use a barcode and scanning system, you must individually price, or price on the shelf (enacted as the European Communities Act regulations, 2003, I think). Potentially a 3k fine per incorrect item.

The consumer agency has never returned a call or enquiry. It seems like a pretty rough operation. (The old office of the director of consumer affairs used to turn stuff around pretty quick.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Gotta say I find Supervalu REALLY bad for missing shlef edge price stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Did you complain? Is important to complain. Ask for the price of an item. Give an opportunity to find the shelf marking. Ask for the manager. Ask why there isn't a shelf edge label for the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Gotta say I find Supervalu REALLY bad for missing shlef edge price stickers.

It's unfair to tar all supervalus as each one is individually owned and run, most would be excellent at shelf edge pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Onkle wrote: »
    It's unfair to tar all supervalus as each one is individually owned and run, most would be excellent at shelf edge pricing

Well, maybe Musgrave's should encourage higher standards in the stores. There'd be no need for any 'tarring' then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement