Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining a football team

• 10-02-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I'm 21, love football but I'm pretty crap to be honest. I played loads as a kid but haven't done more than kicked a football around my garden in about 6 years. I played Gaelic regularly as a kid, I wasn't great at that either, but never played for a football team.

I think I'm making myself sound worse than I am. Technically I'm not the worst with my left foot. I like to think I'm a good reader of the game in terms of watching it but I don't know how that'd transfer to the football pitch. Confidence would be a big thing for me so my football career would probably be over after 20 minutes if I start off bad. :) I'm really judging my standards by what I was like as a kid as that's really all I have to go off. I would have been below average. I'd say I'd actually think about my positioning and stuff these days though.

Anyway, I don't think any of the above info really matters. I'm just wondering how I'd go about joining a team of a low standard? Let's see who's first to mention the boards team. ;) I'm in Dublin 2 btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

If you find a team I'll join with ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

irish life wrote: »
    I'm 21, love football but I'm pretty crap to be honest. I played loads as a kid but haven't done more than kicked a football around my garden in about 6 years. I played Gaelic regularly as a kid, I wasn't great at that either, but never played for a football team.

I think I got drunk, reg`d a second account and posted here. :D

There was a world cup tournament in work last summer (1000 employees plus firm, we have dozens of nationalities, and about 12 who had enough staff to form a team) promised myself Id get fit for it in time but never did, and therefore never put myself forward for being on the Ireland team :( (Im actually only just over 10 stone and of skinny to average build, but beer and sh1t food currently has me with the heart and running ability of a 16 stoner :( ). To think that until about 5 years ago in summer Id be out playin by 11 and not stop until the same time that night.

Ill do it someday, Ian Wright was well into his early 20s before he went pro iirc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

If you find a team I'll join with ya.
    Three more and you have your 5-a-side team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'm just wondering how I'd go about joining a team of a low standard? Let's see who's first to mention the boards team.
    Anyone who does gets a punch in the belly.

I wrote to St.Pat's today enquiring about a trial...Lol.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Three more and you have your 5-a-side team.

I'm more of a 11 a side man. I would well play futsal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

I forgot to say, what do I say when I'm asked what position I play? :D I'd like to think central midfield would be but I'm sure everyone thinks the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I forgot to say, what do I say when I'm asked what position I play? :D I'd like to think central midfield would be but I'm sure everyone thinks the same.

Depends how your legs are. Centre mid requires a LOT of up and down and donkey work so if you aren't up to that just say you're a centre half til you get fit.

Advertisement