Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used car Book Guide price???

Options
  • 10-02-2008 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me the name of the book or magazine that gives the guide price for used cars. I am not sure if its a book or magazine. I asked in the shop but they didnt know the name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

CBG.ie do a monthly book of used car prices. I've picked it up in both Easons and SuperValu. You'll find it pretty easily, or call them directly!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't cbg just take the average asking price of the model advertised on their site?

I'd like to get my hands on the dealer's bible. That little brownish book they always study when they are valuing your trade-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Yeah thats the one I am on about, nad the CBG one.

Unfortunately you'll never get your hands on that. It's kept within the motor trade. :mad:

In the UK a company called Glass publish one every year and it is available to the general public afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't cbg just take the average asking price of the model advertised on their site?

I'd like to get my hands on the dealer's bible. That little brownish book they always study when they are valuing your trade-in.

I know from past experience the CBG s/h price guide is next to useless. Don't have a high opinion of the CBG mag either. It would be great to have a decent Irish car mag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The trade "book" (I forget what it's actually called now) is a subscription thing, there's a new one published every month with prices updated to take account of new models coming out, sunshine affecting convertible prices or VRT or tax changes.

I've a brother in the trade, I must ask him what happens to the previous month's book when they get a new one. Maybe it has to be returned.

I'm not sure how they arrive at their prices. If it's as simple as that then it's not worth a hell of a lot... It's the only regularly published, publicly available guide that I can think of though.

I think this is the one you mean

http://www.mtp.ie/publications.html

I don't know how you'd get your hands on it, you probably need to be in the trade and I'm pretty sure it costs a few quid too!

I reckon the online VRT calculator is probably more accurate if a little understated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 roadrunner41

One of my mates actually works on that Used Car Price Guide mag. When I asked him how they get the prices a while back, he told me that they use trade and consumer sources, including the dealer’s bible you are talking about. They also use computerised modelling or something to track price changes continually and in accordance with current market trends.

In all fairness it is the only pricing mag in Ireland that is aimed at consumers, and their reviews and editorial are unbiased; no PR arse licking, which is nice for a change. That dealer’s bible thing isn’t available to the public so I don’t think you'll ever get your hands on one...:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon the online VRT calculator is probably more accurate if a little understated.

Couldn't agree more on that Bazz. It's often spot on, and invariably lower than CBG nonsensical "valuations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have the trade book. I get it from a contact when it is one month old, but is still fairly accuraute, even at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I wonder have the prices of pre 08 cars already been adjusted before the 01-july-08 change over?

Will all low emission pre-08 irish reg. cars OMSP price drop depending on their UK import equivalent from July onwards?
    or will irish cars be worth more because there OSMP price was more when they were new? I.E two tier system

I know the answer in my head already, but just wanted any dealers opinions on here.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    I wonder have the prices of pre 08 cars already been adjusted before the 01-july-08 change over?

Will all low emission pre-08 irish reg. cars OMSP price drop depending on their UK import equivalent from July onwards?
    or will irish cars be worth more because there OSMP price was more when they were new? I.E two tier system

I know the answer in my head already, but just wanted any dealers opinions on here.

Irish cars will be worth more because they're Irish, but if UK cars come in and are priced cheaper then it'll cause the Irish cars to drop.
    The used car market's prices are set by the buyer, not the seller. People will say "why should I buy your 320d, when that guy's (UK) 320d is so much cheaper?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Couldn't agree more on that Bazz. It's often spot on, and invariably lower than CBG nonsensical "valuations".
    It's also quite often arseways. My wife's car is worth more now than it was 2 years ago according to that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

prospect wrote: »
    I have the trade book.
    What's the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

JHMEG wrote: »
    What's the name of it?

It's called "The Car Sales Guide". This month's (green cover) has the catchy subtitle of "March 2008".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

AudiChris wrote: »
    People will say "why should I buy your 320d, when that guy's (UK) 320d is so much cheaper?"

Exactly, which means to compete, private sellers and dealers will have to drop the price of their Secondhand cars. which levels OMSP
    sorry for going off topic slightly.

Advertisement