Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When commercials have butchered a good rock track.

• 11-02-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

There has been some great rock tracks in the past that have been destroyed by having them overplayed and used in TV commercials.

Bulmers add, "Time is on your side".
    Toyota Avensis, Iggy Pop "The Passenger".

Perhaps there is more.........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Bodyrockers "I like the the way you move" and I can't remember the advert! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A series 3 BMW in 2006 and also for a Diet Coke add.

There was one by Samantha Mumba "Body to Body" used in a horrific road safey commercial a few years ago that butchered Bowie's Ashes to Ashes track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A series 3 BMW in 2006 and also for a Diet Coke add.
    Ah yes, of course! Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Those bread ads that have Thin Lizzy's 'Running Back'. Screw you Brennan's!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Vodafone used "Perfect Drug" to advertise texting... if I ever get my hands on the person responsible for that one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

fleetwood macs "man of the world" in all those car crash ads! b*stards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Cadillac shredded Zep's "Rock 'N Roll" a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

the girl that butchered "let's dance" by david bowie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Correction, this song was never good.

Nike using Hurt by Johnny Cash does it for me. Not my favourite song or anything, but it was not nice to see that on one of their ads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    Those bread ads that have Thin Lizzy's 'Running Back'. Screw you Brennan's!

I actually dont mind this one because they used an album track instead of the obvious Lizzy singles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Toyota Avensis, Iggy Pop "The Passenger".

That song was also used to death in the Dublin Bus ad's a few months back.

The Bulmers/Magners ad's also used The Kink's song 'Sunny Afternoon'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Paligulus wrote: »
    I actually dont mind this one because they used an album track instead of the obvious Lizzy singles.

Is that not worse? The usual Lizzy tracks have been raped enough that it doesn't matter anymore. Leave the others alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Fear Factorys Body Hammer in a Moro ad circa 10 years ago.

What in the blue hell was going on there.

ITS TIME TO BITE THE BAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Fear Factorys Body Hammer in a Moro ad circa 10 years ago.

That I gotta see!

The hit "Don't stop me now" by Queen is being Destroyed and overplayed by a current TV commercial used for selling barrier free "spy chips"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

has anyone seen/heard the blatant rip off of Island in the sun by wheezer as used in a 7up add.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kavkid

Since when did Irish people start saying Commercials?

But yeah, I agree with what you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The hit "Don't stop me now" by Queen is being Destroyed and overplayed by a current TV commercial used for selling barrier free "spy chips"

it could be just me but it doesn't sound like freddies vocals on that version,the current incarnation haven't re-recorded it have they?

on a related note,queen were also butchered by cadburys in that stupid ad with all the airport vehicles racing each other:rolleyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Vegeta wrote: »
    has anyone seen/heard the blatant rip off of Island in the sun by wheezer as used in a 7up add.

Yes and it's very annoying. When a band say "No" to an ad company, the ad company will just pay someone to do a recognisably similar piece of music but not similar enough to have to pay royalties. Lots of ads seem to rip off Sigur Rós too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Not rock, but "What A Wonderful World" has been ruined for me since it was on the first car crash ad that made an impression on me as a kid. It's one of the saddest songs that I can think of now!

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Not rock, but "What A Wonderful World" has been ruined for me since it was on the first car crash ad that made an impression on me as a kid. It's one of the saddest songs that I can think of now!
    Car crash adds have also screwed up one of Bowies great wonders I.e. "Ashes to Ashes" indirectly through Samantha Mumba. Way can't they just pick something from Daniel O Donnel for these adds, they wont go astray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Get it on by T Rex is used in a car crash ad.

They really shouldn't use T-Rex in car crash ads :(

John wrote: »
    They really shouldn't use T-Rex in car crash ads :(
    They shouldnt use any popular track in any car crash add, It kills the track stone dead for good.

can't they just use some cr*p from public domain or some hit that that never made it. Just imagine if they used "Sweet Child of Mine" in one of these adds, I would break something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what the hell are you people doing taking advertising seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

John wrote: »
    Yes and it's very annoying. When a band say "No" to an ad company, the ad company will just pay someone to do a recognisably similar piece of music but not similar enough to have to pay royalties. Lots of ads seem to rip off Sigur Rós too.

Is that what happens? I've often wondered about that. There was a...deodorant ad I think...that used this mangled version of Greenday's "Warning" a few years ago. Ear bleeding stuff. Mind you, I understand "Warning" heavily borrows from some 70's riff I think, so what do I know?

what the hell are you people doing taking advertising seriously?

I don't think anyone is taking them seriously, it's just that people have their own feelings and memories that go with songs. To find that a song you love is being used on an ad for dog food or whatever cheapens the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Rock version of Feeling Good used in a Nescafe ad about five years ago which was done to make it seem like the version by Muse. Thankfully Muse sued them over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Moby is a ba5tard for it. I think one of his whole albums ended up on adverts all over the place.

But hey, albums and singles sales have buggered off so whats wrong with artists making a bit of money for themselves and publicising their music?

I'll tell you whats wrong with it, nowadays ad. company's are getting musicians to record songs which sound like real songs and using them.

"All these highs and lows, I'm living for, all these highs and lows", this is currently being used in a 'visit da north' ad campaign on telly. I'm quite sure it was a song written specifically for ads.

The return of the jingle-writer is just around the corner, altogether now; "50 50 cashback, 50 50 cashback!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Paligulus wrote: »

i am of the same opinion - i quite like it - it's as refreshing as a fresh loaf!

Advertisement