Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When commercials have butchered a good rock track.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just saw a Mastercard ad that had Schools Out by Alice Cooper:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Fear Factorys Body Hammer in a Moro ad circa 10 years ago.

What in the blue hell was going on there.

ITS TIME TO BITE THE BAR
    Wait wha? SOMONE FIND THE YOUTUBE FOR THIS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

While any advert using a good tune is annoying I find the ones where they change the lyrics particularily insulting, for example the current bastardisation of Jammin' by Bob Marley.

Whoever thought of that needs to be shot.

Whoever sang it also needs to be shot.

Whoever owns the copyright and allowed the song to be destroyed in that way also needs to be shot.

May death come on swift wings to them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

The Vodafone ad is particularly bad, also all those halifax ads that butcher any song they get a hold of (we are saving ffs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PearlDrummer

There is an ad out now for some furniture place, where they have people singing Rockstar by Nickelback infront of couches... not that Rockstar is a classic rock song or anything, but it struck me that Land of Leather of WHOEVER it was who put this ad up, just couln't be bothered with coming up with their own "witty" lyrics...

Land of Leather = lazy fluckbags

that ad annoys me...

EVEN MORE THAN THAT STUPID KID ROCK SONG ABOUT SWEET HOME ALABAMA!!!!!!

--i hate you kid rock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bri~

damonjewel wrote: »
    The Vodafone ad is particularly bad, also all those halifax ads that butcher any song they get a hold of (we are saving ffs)

The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You?

Which is really a good tune, just that it has been played to death by Vodafone over the years and now it's pretty difficult to listen to!

Yea, i was just surpised that nickleback would let the copyright out so early, or even that land of leather could afford it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 D.H

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Fear Factorys Body Hammer in a Moro ad circa 10 years ago.

What in the blue hell was going on there.

ITS TIME TO BITE THE BAR

I remember that ad well, but it was actually a Time Out.Sorry for being the killjoy, but what a killer ad.

Dammit, i just checked youtube and it aint there :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

D.H wrote: »
    I remember that ad well, but it was actually a Time Out.Sorry for being the killjoy, but what a killer ad.

Id put money that it was Moro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Fear Factorys music was also used in an ad for a car around the same time too.Cant rem the track but it was definitly from Demanufacture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Theres three that really annoy me.
    1. The furniture add with "rockstar" as the tune. Not a great song but it just doesn't fit in at all with the concept of selling furniture. I know the add says something like "you don't have to be a rockstar to buy it" or some crap but it just seems to forced.
    2. The butchering of "Jammin'" by Vodafone.
    3. The use of "My Sharona" by Carona, except it "My Carona". Cringe worthy stuff, thankfully it's only on the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

'Diamonds and Guns' by the Transplants is being used to to L'oreal or one of those poxy shampoo ads now. Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Just seen the vodafone ad....shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭super_shellers

Xavi6 wrote: »
    'Diamonds and Guns' by the Transplants is being used to to L'oreal or one of those poxy shampoo ads now. Ugh.

I think that was used by Schwarzkopf or something before as well, I also think I read something in an article about the Transplants that they didn't give them permission to use the lyrics just the music, or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Ross Mc

Even adds now are doing it

I seen an add for furniture or some crap using 'rockstar' by nickelback.

I know it isn't a classic but the song was starting to age well until i heard it on that damn add arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

the girl that butchered "let's dance" by david bowie.

I actually like that version of it. Only bad thing is that it advertises Ballygowan, which tastes like metal.
    nedtheshed wrote:
    Id put money that it was Moro!
    I remember the ad being on when I was small, but now that I think about it more I think it was actually Time Out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Neither rock nor metal but I find it hard to listen to DJ Shadow's 'Private Press' album these days considering that the whole thing has been whored out to ads, especially o2.

Fear Factory were on a Panasonic ad back in the day that I remember. I think Body Hammer was used as background music for an action sequence advertising their TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 randy lug

Bri~ wrote: »
    The Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You?

Which is really a good tune, just that it has been played to death by Vodafone over the years and now it's pretty difficult to listen to!
    they did the same to jet's "are you gonna be my girl" as well i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I am saddened to hear these renowned culprits at Bulmer’s Cider butchering the great classic "Galway Girl" by Steve Earle. Its a pity to hear cuttings of this classic being overplayed day in and day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i also hate it when songs are used in tv programmes and ads for tv programmes like i remember network 2 used "heroin" in an ad for something but just used the crescendo bit. i love that song but you have to lsten to the whole thing to build it up! just my rant for the day but i felt it was butchered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Flagrant misuse of Possini's La Gaza Ladra overture to sell some crappy paint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Can no one here, see the positive side to songs being used in ads, which is that it exposes people who might not have heard these songs, to them for the first time?

For example, I only heard of DJ Shadow for the first time, through the Guinness ad, which Sampled Stem,Long Stem. It took me years to find out who did it, but once, I got that song, I went out to try and find more of his stuff.
    Movies have introduced me to literally hundreds of songs and artists, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Portishead are on a new CSI ad (or something similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

One that particularly gets my goat / grinds my gears is the new Jaguar ad. I'm not the biggest Deep Purple fan but using Hush in there is wrong. The song doesn't fit the ad and vice versa. Awful, truly terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

bulmers (again) using mick jaggers song "god gave me everything" its a brilliant song and i hate when its over played and destroyed because of that ad!

Advertisement