Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest wins and losses?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

what's the most you've lost in a bet and what was it on?

I'm only a rookie so I won't embarress myself by weeping about the 20 quid I lost way back when ;)

I've seen the odd significant bet on these boards.... and they didn't work out.

Surely someone's put the house on a sure thing! :D

Might also be nice to balance the negativity with some stories of when that 1000/1 MUGG accum won you a nice cruise holiday :D

Fire away....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Loss:
    300 on Chelsea to beat Everton a few years ago. Chelsea were short odd, top of the table and Everton were rock bottom.

Win:
    20 each way on Hardy Eustace @ 25/1 a few years back. Also had 20 each way on Rule Supreme on paddys day at 16/1

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Loss: 300 on Gretna a few years back. They seemed to win every week and were playing some bottom of the table team. They were 2 up and conceded 2 late goals. Stung..

Win: 4 winners on the Wednesday of Chelt last year. Was playing in a buster comp and put my selections in a 20c Heinz.. 1100 from it.. Enjoyed that night!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Biggest win was €3000 on barca last season
    Had €500 on them to win, have less than 50 points and less than 10 corners.
    Also won big twice with that bet on real madrid last season.
    Now PP have changed it to 35 points which is a lot LOT harder

Biggest loss was €700 i think it was on andy murray in tennis, the bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Well, My biggest loss for one day was 400 Euro ! a 1.01 on betfair .. .. Delayed tv coverage was the problem , an in-running f1gp .
    I placed the bet asking for 1.01and by the time the bet got placed it was 1.08. anyway , ive learned the hard way now about backing less than 1.10 bets !

My biggest win ? dunno , had a handful of 1000+ wins, backed S.Murphy to win the snooker World Championships on boyles @ 100/1 .
    They were asking for 40's or 50's on betfair , so it looked like really good value.
    10'er e/w , and laid off to cover my bet when he reached 9/2 or 5/1 or something.

My current large wager is 500 on Bayern Munich to win the eufa cup !!
    9/2 on Betfred . was trading @4.2 - 4.3 on betfair , laid off about a 100, and have been struggling to get a great price to sell them @ now.
    Bayern started the tournament @ 4.50 , topped their group stage , GOT DRAW WITH Aberdeen for the first knock-out stage , but they are currently 4.70 on the exchanges !....

Should Bayern win in Scotland , i reckon i can temporarily get to lay Bayern @ less than 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

Biggest win on sports betting I would say was 20 e/w on Liverpoolf or Champions League in 2005 at 25/1

Last year I had 20 on them at 35/1 to win it, lost in the final

This year I have 20 e/w at 50/1 (Put on when last in group stages).

Best bet though was 10 on Milan Baros for top scorer at Euro 2004, 50/1...

The most I have ever lost in a sports single bet was 200 on a mates dog in a big final, he was 6/4.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Technically it still counts I reckon, but the biggest single day loss I have had is €1,300 in poker, and the biggest single pot I lost cost me €900 (for a pot size of over €2k). These are relatively small losses though compared to some in the poker forum and some I have seen where I play mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Won €1500 on Vintage Tipple when she won the Irish Oaks 4/5 years ago. Won €1300 on Adam Scott a few weeks back.

Lost €1000 when Australia loss to England in World Cup rugby. Lots of foiled gambles at point-to-points.:o

biggest Loss that sticks in my mind the most was when I backed a horse called Virgin Soldier at Lingfield. He was a 1/2 shot in a handicap and was on a 4 timer. It was my first ever big bet. I put €100 that I could scarecely afford and he was beaten on the line.

Big lesson learned that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Biggest win was 1800. Had 60 on the pair plus in 3 card and hit trips. That was a good night.

Won't put down my biggest loss just yet though as it still stings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

both these where over 10 years ago !
    Win ; £2000 even money bet on a horse.
    Loss; £1000 even money bet.

I never thought I would forget the name of the horse I lost on but I have, all I remember it was a 6f on the turf the horse was leading well very tight on the rail half a furlong to the finish and the horses foot "stumbled" off the side of the track, the horse didn't fall but lost her balance and got pipped on the line by a nose. I have never seen it happen since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭$lattman

Loss: €200 on Liverpool to beat Wigan a few weeks back, damn Titus Bramble!

Win: €1800, Zach Johnson to win the U.S Masters @ 360/1, now that was a good day considering I'm just a poor student!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

won 500+ on a 40c ew patent in Wexford a couple of years ago, Amisina,Mamouna Gale and Final Finish, 2 *7/1's and a 14/1 winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

pokerwise lost 4.5 k pot, three way 1.2k of it mine (never mind tournament hands that cost big pay jumps)
    Biggest bet - a sht load on man u versus newcastle - 1/4, which is also biggest win (considering amount staked)
    Loss betting wise- 500 3way acc, man u let me down v west ham (ronaldo missed penalty whilst 1-0 up)

i dont think many will actually post their big losses as its a gamblers attitude to forget bout it

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

semibluff wrote: »
    pokerwise lost 4.5 k pot, three way 1.2k of it mine (never mind tournament hands that cost big pay jumps)
    Biggest bet - a sht load on man u versus newcastle - 1/4, which is also biggest win (considering amount staked)
    Loss betting wise- 500 3way acc, man u let me down v west ham (ronaldo missed penalty whilst 1-0 up)

i dont think many will actually post their big losses as its a gamblers attitude to forget bout it

Biggest loss ever was a cool £10,000 on US Open Tennis Final back in 2002.
    Sampras had been thru a hectic quarter final (5 Sets!) and a cruel semi final with another 5 setter. Agassi was 4/7 and I was sure he was a cert. Was in Amsterdam on a stag for the weekend of the final and switched it on with Sampras down two sets! Stayed watching to see would I try and trade out when Agassi won the third I thought that the past games were going to take there toll. Decided to hold tough...................the rest is history.
    Still shiver when I think about it!
    Biggest wins were when Brian Kerr got the Irish job, Munster winning the Heineken Cup and a huge Iris Gift/ Best Mate double.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭jacool

did a 2p bet in the UK on the first 8 dog races 3-6 SF because of something that happened at work. (stake 56x2=1.12) i was working, mate put bet on. rang me to tell me double was up ! and that a 6/1 dog had just beaten a 25/1 shot (BAGS racing madness !!) then at 11:53 I had a feeling that had a treble - bloke rang me back that there was a photo, but he thought i was up. i was. the return overall was £1,800+. i photocopied cheque for the memories and still have the RP with the results. in shop was a hero so they asked for National tip and I gave them Bobbyjo at 25/1 and never put a penny on it myself ! gave my buddy a ton and I went to Vegas and had a ball !!

biggest loss was on b-fair where lost all profits for a year in 5 days over christmas, and it hurt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! still does. the hand that killed me in poker, texas holdem played by betfair where you bet or lay yourself. Was a black 7-8 different suits with two aces favourite at 1/5ish. i laid big at 15/2 there was another black 7-8 hand too, also 15/2 but i laid the one that most of were visible e.g. 2 clubs and 4 spades on screen, so i laid the one with the 8 of spades. needless to say, out came three more spades, then nothing and then a final spade for the hand to win, and clean my account out.
    i learnt a lesson about following rules for profit, which i had ignored that day !

Advertisement