Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to become a Ranger.

• 11-02-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Several people have asked me how to become a Ranger in PM's. So to answer all and anybody else interested....
    Firstly, they have just finished interviews a couple of weeks ago, so it will be a few years before they interview again, but this gives you plenty of time to prepare.

They say minimum requirements are Leaving cert and a full driving licence and an interest in wildlife. If thats all you have, you haven't a chance.

Education: A leaving cert alone is worth you 2 points out of 10 when your application form is being graded.
    You'll most likely need a diploma and better still a degree in environmental science or similar. If you missed the boat on this one there is a very good evening/ partime course in UCC. There are also wildlife management courses in Sparsholt in the UK.

Experience: This counts for alot! Basically do as much conservation work as possible. An almost fool proof way of becoming a Ranger is to work as a guide or general operative for NPWS in one of the National Parks. Try get work with or volunteer for surveys with Birdwatch Ireland, Irish Wildlife Trust, Mountain Meitheal, Bat Conservation Ireland, etc.etc.. Watch out for the Tern Warden Jobs, there will be a job advertised in the shooting Digest in March, do it if at all possible! Do as much conservation work as you can!!!Would also help alot if you have knowledge and experience in farming.

Teach yourself everything you can about our Animals, Birds and plants. Learn the law, Habitats Directive, Birds Directive, Wildlife acts. Get to know your local Ranger and learn what Rangers do. Do work experience with a Ranger!!

Get as many other qualifications that may help you.e.g BDS level 1 or better level 2. HCAP! ICPSA shotgun coach. First Aid, Mountain Rescue, Mountain Skills. Power boat courses. Chainsaw certs, tree climbing, off road driving, Scuba certs, Computer skills, GIS skills, Photography, etc.etc

Don't get prosecuted for anything, especially the wildlife act!!:)

The wildlife service could do with some lads like ye. Its hard to find lads that can shoot and fill all the other criteria. You already have the advantage. Start working today on becoming a Ranger, its a great way of life if you have a genuine love for wildlife and working outdoors, although there is also alot of paper work too:mad:
    Aim to be a Ranger in 5 years time.;) Keep watching publicjobs.ie and the papers. Try get a Ranger or set up some sort of alert to let you know when the jobs are being advertised, it's easy miss it!
    Good luck!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

cheers a chara, im going back to college next year so il definately do some coarse related to the ranger job, its my dream job, which coarse did you say was on in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Its an Ecology course. Supposed to be very good, alot of Rangers have done it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

i think i,ll have me some of that:cool:

I,m still laughing at the thoughts of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What does a Ranger do John? Give us an example of a day in the life of a Ranger. (hows the salary?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

• Advertisement

tyther wrote: »

Sounds like a great course!

A little short on notice, but well worth a look if your thinking of becoming a Ranger, some current Rangers found their way into the job by this route, it's very good experience.
    PM me and give me an email address to send you an application form if you need one, i don't know how or if it is possible to attach word documents here.

Wanted

Seasonal Temporary General Operatives (2) – Wicklow Mountains National Park
    The National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government is looking for enthusiastic people to join the dedicated teams presently managing the Wicklow Mountains National Park and other properties in the Wicklow District.

Duties will include the daily maintenance and development of paths and walking trails. These are temporary seasonal positions. The work location will be Wicklow Mountains National Park HQ in Laragh. The salary for a General Operative commences at €525.24 per week before tax.

Experience in the use of machinery such as chainsaws and of general maintenance work would be of benefit. Possession of a current full Driver’s Licence may be an advantage.

The appointees will be chosen by competitive interview. A panel of suitable candidates may also be formed should any additional vacancies arise in the foreseeable future.

For an application form and job description, please contact:

Sinéad O’Brien,
    Personnel Section,
    Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government,
    Ardcavan Business Park,
    Ardcavan,
    Wexford,
    Co. Wexford

Tel: (01) 888 3052
    Email: Sinead.O'Brien@environ.ie

The closing date for receipt of applications is 28th February 2008.

Canvassing will automatically disqualify and applications may be shortlisted.

The Department of the Environment, Heritage & Local Government is an equal opportunities employer.

Job Description

Job Title: General Operative (Band 3)

Job Location: Wicklow Mountains National Park

Duration of Contract: Temporary (March to September)

Key Tasks/ Responsibilities:

Operating equipment & machinery (e.g. hand and ride-on mowers, leaf blowers, power washer, angle grinder, power drill, cement mixer, strimmers, industrial vacuum sweepers, sprayers etc.)

Maintaining and developing (on a daily basis) the grounds and facilities, including:

Grass cutting
    Litter picking and waste removal
    Spraying weeds
    Planting trees and shrubs
    Repairing Walls
    Maintaining roads, walkways, etc.
    Fixing and installing gates/fencing
    Painting

Reporting of any damage to park property and dissemination of information on Wicklow Mountains National Park to park users as required

Liaison and contact with National Park users while going about normal duties and to curb non-permitted activities

Driving, and maintaining on a daily basis, dumper and other road vehicles (where driving licence permits).

Any other duties considered appropriate to the position

Reports to:Park Supervisor and any person to whom authority has been delegated

Pay: €525.24 gross per week (in addition extra allowances will be paid for weekend work if applicable.)

Core Hours of Work: Staff will work 5 days rostered over 7 (including some weekend work) totalling 39 hours.

Mon – Fri Hours 8:30am - 5.00pm
    Sat – Sun Hours 9:30am – 6.00pm
    Person Specification: General Operative
    Wicklow Mountains National Park

1.EDUCATION AND ATTAINMENTS

Desirable

School qualification
    Cert in use of machinery e.g. chainsaws and other gardening/forestry tools
    Safe Pass/Health & Safety course
    First Aid certificate / experience
    Clean driving license (not provisional)

2. SKILLS (including Heritage Interest And Awareness/Interests)

Essential

Proven Ability to communicate effectively
    Proven ability to work as part of a team
    Enjoy working outdoors

Desirable

Manual Handling
    Knowledge of National Parks and Wildlife Service
    Local knowledge of operational area

3. RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE

Essential
    Experience of working outdoors
    Experience of general maintenance

Desirable

Craft work e.g. carpentry
    Industrial Gardening e.g. landscaping
    Experience of operating machinery

4. DISPOSITION

Essential

Enthusiastic
    Responsible
    Flexibility in working hours
    Courteous
    Good communication Skills
    Physically fit for working outdoors and in rugged terrain

These criteria will be used should short-listing take place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

you have a pm john.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Is it a good idea to start off as a Tonto if you want to get promoted to a Lone Ranger, Kemosabe?

And do you get to choose the colour of your uniform if you are a Power Ranger?

Being a Tonto is a good idea if you want to be a Lone Ranger! Don't become a Power Ranger, they're just pen pushing assholes!!;):cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In my ignorance, i never really thought there were rangers in Ireland!

I thought one would need to go to Montana or British Colombia to get a job like that :D

snyper wrote: »

I thought one would need to go to Montana or British Colombia to get a job like that :D

Ignorance is not a defence in the eyes of the law:) We don't wear funny uniforms and hats and we don't ride about on horses:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

snyper wrote: »

I didn't either, otherwise I would have chosen a very different course in college

Vegeta wrote: »
    I didn't either, otherwise I would have chosen a very different course in college

It's never too late. Work at becoming a Ranger in your spare time if you really want it.

Advertisement