Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do any Irish companies insure UK reg cars?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    just bought a 2nd hand diesel from the UK to beat the rush. Before I get a lecture re paying VRT and the law, I will gladly walk into the Tallaght office July 1st and pay, but until then I'm taking my chances (pre July tax = 800 p.a., post = 430 or so) so its not rendered unsellable by Minister Gormless's fumblings. If it were just the 6% VRT difference I'd pay up now, as its only €500-600 in my case.
    TBH I might even buy another old car(anyone got a decent E30 /w123/ Saab 900 for sale, pm me!) and keep the other yoke off the road and out of sight so I'm not stressing about getting pulled over etc. Still it'd be a nice option to be able to drive the diesel if needed.

I'm insured with R+S Alliance thru the AA, and they've said they'll only insure me for 3 weeks which has thrown a spanner into my works big time. My last insurers, Hibernian, were ok with me insuring a car on a UK reg till my renewal came around (August for me, would have been fine). Does anyone know if any companies are still insuring UK reg cars here? Would appreciate the help.

On a sidenote I have to say it is so annoying and frustrating to see the amount of people who don't understand the rule changes and how they will be affected by them. Outside the likes of these forums, the vast majority of people still have no clue - an unfortunate work colleague of mine just bought an 08 diesel, another guy I know just happily VRT'd an 06 diesel car, and my study partner in college was worried that her car's insurance was doubling from July. This state of blissful ignorance suits the govt. and used car dealers, as they can offload more new diesels at the old tax rate and clear out used stock before it devalues. Please folks if you hear someone you know talking about buying a car fill them in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I know someone who has a uk reg. car insured with Quinn direct all last year and has just renewed it at end of january, still on uk reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Invincible

I know someone that had an english reg car insure with F.B.D for 7 months,they had a policy with them beforehand,don't know if you could take out a policy on your "present" car and then transfer it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gogs2006

is the car registered in your name on the uk logbook??
    revenue will probably charge you full and vrt and tax because the date of sale is before july 1st......

i never had any problem insuring a uk reg car

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

thanks men! gogs2006 thats a fair point, I didnt think of it till now but since I havent put the car in my name I'm probably paying just for the privilege of having a disc in my window but amn't actually insured.
    I refuse to be screwed by the govt. on this (its the principle more than the cash), but I guess that means I'm parking up my car and getting a banger in the next 2-3 days. I'm too tight for time at the mo to hit the UK again so am trawling through the <€1000 section in Buy and Sell now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Johnnycabs wrote: »
    thanks men! gogs2006 thats a fair point, I didnt think of it till now but since I havent put the car in my name I'm probably paying just for the privilege of having a disc in my window but amn't actually insured.
    I refuse to be screwed by the govt. on this (its the principle more than the cash), but I guess that means I'm parking up my car and getting a banger in the next 2-3 days. I'm too tight for time at the mo to hit the UK again so am trawling through the <€1000 section in Buy and Sell now:(

I'd keep it out of sight if you can, you have to register when its in the state not if its on the road. I've seen customs calling around to peoples houses looking for VRT even when its not been on the road.

Keep it in the QT and tell noone that you have it sitting there.

Also, if the car isnt in your name, then your not insured, because the insurance company will only cover you on a car thats owned by you. Unless you temporarily transfer from another car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The customs are more ruthless than the cops, they also have more powers. I would be more worried about these guys. Make sure you have all the paperwork in order. It used to be the case that if you were caught driving a foreign registered car on an irish driving license in this country illegally they had the powers to impound it immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

you will have to get uk road tax do, or the insurance company wont payout on your car if anything goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

AXA and QUINN.

Advertisement