Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

daewoo lanos HB

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

hi all

have been looking for a car for a while now, have recently been put in touch through a family friend with someone selling a 99 lanos. i know they have a bit of a cheap reputation, and my friends are not that keen, but on the basis that i just need something to get around on and that it will be my first car, is there any reason i should avoid the lanos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For basic a to b cheap motoring they are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

"pay peanuts, get monkeys with no fashion sense"

Thats what a lot of people will tell you.IMO you should just get a toyota corolla of a similiar price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Zonda999 wrote: »
    "pay peanuts, get monkeys with no fashion sense"

Thats what a lot of people will tell you.IMO you should just get a toyota corolla of a similiar price

But isn't that what the OP sugested in his post. Just something to get him from A - B?

IMO, this is one of very few sensible "First car.." threads we have had in a long time in here. Most "First car.." threads, the poster's ask for some pretty stupid requests such as " Must be under 1.6, must be fast, must have a turbo, On a provisional liscence, must be low millage, fast, 1000 euro to spend and must go forever from cork to donegal every day", well that was a bit exagurated, but you get my point.

If the OP is looking for a simple car to go from A-B and gets the lanos at a reasonable price then it should fit the bill perfectly from several different aspects. Failing purchase of the lanos offered, looking for something jap such as a Micra or Colt, for a car to go from A - B perfectly. Ignore what others tell you about how it looks such as your friends, its your car and if you'll drive it and like it, then go for it.

Granted saying all that, I'm not sure how questionable the lanos' reliability is, but still on the basis as an A - B car, it should be fine.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A friends brother has one with well over 120,000 miles up. He drives it all over Europe and hasn't had a single problem. They have a very good reputation for reliability AFAIK.

Horrible-looking and cheap inside but as a first car it'll do fine. Build up a bit of experience, get your test (if you haven't already) and move on to something tasty next time around. Forget the Corolla advice - you'll get a much fresher Lanos for the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Well based on Daewoo Matiz experience,

easy to fix if you have problems, but bit hard to find parts,

• Advertisement
Advertisement