Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheekpoint - yay or nay?

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

A thought struck me this evening (its been forming in my recesses mind for a while now), I don't like suburbia and would like to get out. I spent about 12 years near Kilmeaden and it was a great place to live unless the well ran dry in the summer!

Anyways somewhere within 20 mins of Waterford would appeal and somewhere like Cheekpoint always appealed (it could be the romantic notion of walking back from McAlpins with a few cheery ciders in me on a summers evening that has me thinking this way).

So bearing in mind this is all very speculative, whats Cheekpoint and surounding areas like to live in? I have own transport :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you have your own transport, it's not that bad, but if you're relying on public transport, it's a bit more hassle - Even if you head into town for a few pints, it's an extra couple of quid in a taxi.

So, if you can put up with that and the general 'distance' thing, go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I have a good friend who's girlfriend lives there. It seems to be a nice enough old place. There is a shop there and it has the wierdest opening hours, one day it's open til 12 and the next, it's closed at half 9. The view and craic is mighty out there. One thing though, I hope ya like hill walking, cos the place is built on a 90 degree angle, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 RuthyH

"I have a good friend who's girlfriend lives there."

I live in cheekpoint n its a nice place 2 live...very quiet n relaxing....n u av d pub "the Moorings" and McAlpins Suir Inn and McAlpins Bistro to choose from..... yum yum!:p

if your interested in gyming Faithlegg hotel and leisure centre is just a few mins down d road with a pool and sauna etc...

there is no public transport only a school bus ....so its a good thing u have your own transport!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The natives don't know how to spell?

its called text language:cool:
    sorry about that, i'll use proper english now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lets avoid the txt spk please :)

Welcome to the Board Ruth, enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Cheekpoint is lovely and anyone I know in Cheekpoint has always been friendly and welcoming. I live in the city but used to attend the mother and toddler group out there when mine were small so got to know several people from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Cheekpoint's a lovely place Mike, only question - are you working in town? 'Cos getting in the Dunmore Road in the morning is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That thought did cross my mind alright, though I'd only be going as far as the ORR at WRH, that said if I do move it won't be anytime too soon :)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Well as long as you're not trying to get into the centre it's not so bad.

It is a gorgeous area to live in, I say go for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

and if you dont mind the sight of cousins kissing its a grand spot (albeit with a few weird lookin babies).
    get a lock-in in the pub and you can drink round the clock. always a plus.
    most of the people i know or have met from the area are spot on as well, so mike, you could probably do a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

fozzle wrote: »
    Cheekpoint's a lovely place Mike, only question - are you working in town? 'Cos getting in the Dunmore Road in the morning is a nightmare.
    mike65 wrote: »
    That thought did cross my mind alright, though I'd only be going as far as the ORR at WRH, that said if I do move it won't be anytime too soon :)
    fozzle wrote: »
    Well as long as you're not trying to get into the centre it's not so bad.

Just be aware that in terms of traffic, the worst bit inbound in the morning is actually the stretch between the Woodlands and the ORR. That bit alone regularly takes 15, even 20 minutes if you're hitting it between just after 8, and 9.

Funnily enough, when the traffic stream splits at the Ardkeen roundabout between the ORR, the city centre and the hospital, it begins to move a wee bit better.

But look, it's only a bit of traffic, and that should not put you off living somewhere lovely like Cheekpoint. Those views!

Thanks for the clarification Fricatus - it's been years since I've been going into Waterford at that hour on a regular basis.

welll if you leave early enough in d morning you wont have a problem with traffic,,, just hope your an early riser!:p Cheekpoint is the place to be

Advertisement