Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

concrete splashes on paintwork

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

any got any advise on removing concrete from car paintwork without scraping the crap out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Concept do a product called Surge. It breaks down the cement allowing it to be taken off. I would advise this be done by a professional as this product is highly acidic and can damage paint if not used correctly. Obviosly you would need to seal and protect the paint afterwards. The finish could also need pre seal preparation with a machine polisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Petrol?

I know it will take any kind of tar from the doors and the sills etc. Maybe dab some petrol onto the cement and it might soften it. If it works I wouldnt try to rub it off but just keep dabbing, if you rubbed it it would probably scratch the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

Try brick cleaner, you can get it in B&Q. It's designed for removing mortar etc from bricks and I've used it to clean windows on our new build. Try in an inconspicuous area first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

That's a pain in the arse I'm sure. If it's a Defender, why don't you just smack the back of the panel with a block of wood or a brick? That'll remove the concrete and add some character to what should be a work-horse vehicle.

Or think of it like spray-on mud.... ;)

Failing that, speak with a professional body shop.

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Halfdog

If you are very handy try a knocking the cement off with a hammer and chisel, just be careful you dont go too hard. If you do accidently chip the paint you can get touch up paint in your local motor factors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I heard ice cubes are good for it, place a bag of them onto area with the cement and either the metal or concrete will contract (can't remember which) and the cement should all fall off leaving no damager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

try warm water with some washing up liquid in it. keep working it in and dont go to hard incase you chip the paint

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I heard ice cubes are good for it

I've heard similar. Apparently (never tried it) but if the paintwork is covered in ice/frost then it's a good time to chip them off - with care, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Forget most of the above except for Surge. If the concrete splashes are new and not on your paint for weeks, then dab some distilled white vinegar over the spots. Allow it to soak in for a few minutes. The acidic nature of vinegar may soften the concrete if it is relatively new. Then rinse off thoroughly with water and then shampoo wash. Polish and wax. If the concrete has set hard well then the acid or fallout wash is the only alternative as a clay bar is not recommended for removing hard particles like concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭10-10-20

This thread is classic! Internet advice at it's best.

I heard Windolene is great for cement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

the splashes are on it probably 3 months but there only small maybe 3mm x 3mm do you know where i can get tis "surge" stuff or is it only for trade?

it is a classic thread,but i think if i took everyones (although much appreciated) advice it would end up like that car off father ted they tried to get the dent out of

Advertisement