Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opinion on citroen xsara

Options
  • 11-02-2008 1:52am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

it's not for me guys. but the other halfs 00 reg Punto is now on serious problem number 4 (after gasket skimmed , clutch gone , gearbox gone) so it's time to get rid.

she's strongly thinking about buying this Citroen Xsara Picasso

i've never had any experience of them so hoping someone here could post up some plus or minuses on them

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

They can be prone to small niggly electric faults "apparently" so check that everything works when you buy. My Missus has a Xsara car for the past 3 years and it's the most reliable car she's ever had. My sis has a Picasso from new and loves it.

I am a fan of Citroen's I think they are very underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I had a saloon xsara for a while and it was a right nightmare. Two steering racks and unreal amounts of wishbone trouble on a grand total of 158k miles.
    The 1.9td engine in it was brilliant though. If the rest of the car was half the quality of the engine it should have had a skoda badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭domania

I had a saloon xsara for a while and it was a right nightmare. Two steering racks and unreal amounts of wishbone trouble on a grand total of 158k miles.
    The 1.9td engine in it was brilliant though. If the rest of the car was half the quality of the engine it should have had a skoda badge.

But was that on the lovely highways and byways of County Meath? I wrecked one of my cars (Seat) driving backroads to Dublin from Navan. Pretty much everything part of suspension, front and back + wheel bearings had to be replaced because of the abuse it took. The car was in the garage twice a year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not sure about the Picasso but my parents had a Xsara hatch. solid car and enough poke for everyday driving. As above though....quite prone to small electrical faults that the dealers love charging an arm, leg, splien and liver to fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

thanks guys for posting your experiences , mucho appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

I have never owned a citreon - just to point that out first....BUT, in the last 12 months, while looking at different makes of cars in citreon dealerships, I have gotten two different salesmen (in different garages) to admit that generally, the electrics in cireons are desperate, and their reliability suffers as a result. I further got both salesmen to confess that they drive cars OTHER THAN citreons, and that they would avoid driving one / owning one in spite of their obvious postion - one of them drives asubaru, the others drives a BMW..... second hand ones at that.....

Just worth considering, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

matsil wrote: »
    I have never owned a citreon - just to point that out first....BUT, in the last 12 months, while looking at different makes of cars in citreon dealerships, I have gotten two different salesmen (in different garages) to admit that generally, the electrics in cireons are desperate, and their reliability suffers as a result. I further got both salesmen to confess that they drive cars OTHER THAN citreons, and that they would avoid driving one / owning one in spite of their obvious postion - one of them drives asubaru, the others drives a BMW..... second hand ones at that.....

Just worth considering, in my view.

Meh, if you were looking at Citroens in the garages the salesmen would probably say that other marques are overrated, Citroens have great ride quality etc. Horses for courses.

I have a '98 Xsara hatch (1.9td), some minor niggles but nothing out of the ordinary for a 10 year old car. The worst problem was with the heater control, caused by a slipping control cable. The diesel engines are generally excellent and frugal, not sure how the petrols stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

miju wrote: »
    it's not for me guys. but the other halfs 00 reg Punto is now on serious problem number 4 (after gasket skimmed , clutch gone , gearbox gone) so it's time to get rid.

she's strongly thinking about buying this Citroen Xsara Picasso

i've never had any experience of them so hoping someone here could post up some plus or minuses on them

cheers

They're not a bad drive - just check the that all the electrics work. The 1.8 16 valve is a good enough engine but can be thirsty. The HDI would be a better choice IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭trudub

do not buy a citroen xsara. i just gt rid of mine. i bought it at 82k and sold it at 98k. in that time it cost me:

Clutch
    Clutch cable
    Handbrake cable
    drivers door handle (only citroen can replace b/c of bolts! €200!)

not to mention the regular service done on the car. Just before i got rid of it the cad had gone, another 600 to get done. when not giving you hassle there a great car t drive, but it always gave me hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Have a 2 year old one small mileage, nothing wrong with it but build quality would not be the best. Very well speced, sunroof and climate changing soon for no other reason than wife wants a qusqai. Will get stung on trade in, I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

trudub wrote: »
    do not buy a citroen xsara. i just gt rid of mine. i bought it at 82k and sold it at 98k. in that time it cost me:

Clutch
    Clutch cable
    Handbrake cable
    drivers door handle (only citroen can replace b/c of bolts! €200!)

not to mention the regular service done on the car. Just before i got rid of it the cad had gone, another 600 to get done. when not giving you hassle there a great car t drive, but it always gave me hassle

Are you taking the mick?

A car bought with 82k needed a new clutch and cable. And the handbrake cable failed too. Completely normal could happen to any car. Depends mainly on driver.

One door handle.

Sounds ok to me.

You should hear all the thing we have had to repair on our Ford Galaxy with its VW diesel engine. A lot more than that I can tell you. And it is still a good car. Starter, Maf, cv joints, clutch, auxiliary belt system. etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 harryharry

my friends had one it was very bad bad bad bad bad the heather broke 3 times and the back door feel off you should buy a saet

Advertisement