Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern fuse box (PCB?) making a humming noise at night

• 11-02-2008 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭

Its been there 1 years.

I havnt noticed the noise during the day, I think its a night thing.

Anyone any ideas about this? Should I run from the premises now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Titainus

you have any devises in the house that only work at night? ie. lights ,heating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Maybe a doorbell-transformer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Start to knock the breakers off one-by-one to try to assertain the problem. You need to get it looked at though. It could be a bad connection. Is it only at night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

could be a contactor or overheating get it looked at anyway sometimes mcbs buzz as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭worded

So good diagnostic idea there. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Do you have storage heating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

If you have storage heating then you have a contactor that switches on during the night.
    A very noisey contactor is probably broken or has a loose connection.
    If it is more of a humming noise then either it is vibrating against the cover of the consumer unit or it is a poor quality contactor and should be replaced with a type that has an AC/DC coil.

Advertisement