Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your ideal pet

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

I've been seeing alot of women (on TV and real life) with small dogs lately, I'm not sure where this trend started (perhaps the queen of england :P) but it's definately becoming rampant. These toy dogs seem to be becoming a girly fashion accessory.

Personally I wouldn't keep a small pooch, I prefer something a bit bigger if it's a dog. (My lab died over Christmas :()

At the moment I have a hamster and two cats and I'm going to be getting a pair of rats soon too, all going well! I'd choose a rodent over a tiny yappy dog any day :)

So what are your thoughts? If you have a pet or want a pet what is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh you mean animals...

sorry I guess the human kind would be better off discussed in S&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I have my ideal pet: a calico cat who is very affectionate. She loves to sit in my lap and snuggle. She also gives lots of kisses, like a dog. She especially likes to kiss my nose. She's the perfect companion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Jrad

I have my ideal pet: a calico cat who is very affectionate. She loves to sit in my lap and snuggle. She also gives lots of kisses, like a dog. She especially likes to kiss my nose. She's the perfect companion.

Especially the nose?????????? WOW WHEE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Aww, cute. My girl cat goes through weird mood swings, sometimes she's really distant, sometimes she's really scarily affectionate. She'll sit up on your lap and bunt your face all night long if you let her. I think I still prefer dogs to cats though, I think it might be because they're sociable animals like ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Waits excitedly for someone to say the magic word....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i would love so much to have me a pet rat. this is me and ratty, the rat of a freind. he likes to run up my back, and to jump. he's awesome.

Moietratty.jpg

adn this is my puppy back home, sooty (i have nothing to do with the name. family is a democracy apparently and twas 4 against 1. ), playing hurling...

soothurling1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

A Fox from Kerry, but he's home while I'm overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I don't know, there are many animals where I think they look really cute and I'd love to have a pet one, but then I honestly don't know if I could properly care for it (both in a nutritional and grooming/healthcare way and a love it enough way). I'd definitely need to get a 2nd one to keep the first one company when I'm not about.

Ideally I'd love to take in a load of rescue dogs but that's not an option with a small garden and a fulltime job!

I'm not a huge fan of small yippy dogs, I love Great Danes, German Shepherds, Labs etc.

I did have a dog at home for 18 years but he died. :(

Much as I'd love a dog now I couldn't take one on as I work fulltime and would have to leave it alone for long stretches.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Monkey, I'd love a monkey :D *

*just for monkey fudge

no really I love dogs, if I had the space I'd have a big dog (or even better 2) but I'd say any dog I get will be small enough, a terrier or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I've a big fat cat with a HUGE personality and a 180litre aquarium in my house...the cats given up trying to get into the aquarium at this stage!

I've a boxer also, but shes at home in my home house, as shes quite peculiar about moving......

I wish she was here....:(

Cathooo wrote: »
    Monkey, I'd love a monkey :D *

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

I have a cat called Tarzan he's the best.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Waits excitedly for someone to say the magic word....

For the second prize, I'd like to go with EELS EELS EELS.

... Oh, big boxer dogs rock. Scarily affectionate and excitable animals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Handbag dogs are cutsie but I wouldn't have one for a pet. I have a 1 year old German Shepherd and she is the BOMB!!!! :D Love big dogs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

adn this is my puppy back home, sooty (i have nothing to do with the name. family is a democracy apparently and twas 4 against 1. ), playing hurling...

soothurling1.jpg

Ahhh I love it :)

I'm a big fan of large dogs, we have small and big dogs at home but you just can't beat a big bear hug from a big fat Lab or sheepdog, love them. I miss them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

i have a dog, hamster and bearded dragon! would love another beardy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

At the moment I have a golden cocker spaniel and a greyhound.
    Love them both , Greyhound was a rescue dog - an absolute pet & milks attention and so so friendly! My cocker spaniel is gorgeous! very loyal but can be quite controllling as she gets jealous if the other gets more attention.

I grew up with a collie so I'd love to get another!

But since I was small I've ALWAYS wanted a dalmation. I fell in love with them and even though I know the risks surrounding them, blindness, deafness etc I want one soooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!

I think I'm done with any other pets. my cats all got killed on the road beside my house bar 1. fish died. My rabbits just got boring after a while... i was only 9 at the time and you can't bring them for walks etc!!! Can't think of any other pet that would appeal to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Yay!

You have a script that searchs this site for the word monkey don't you?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Baudelaire

I use to have a Golden Collie and a German Shepard that I adored but lately I've really been tempted to get a Doberman but unfortunatly I'd have nowhere to keep it, My friend has a cat that's just a total dote so I've been pining for another one of those too lately and I'd love a Parrot, an iguana and a snake but again space ristrictions will prevent this from ever happening :(

• Advertisement

Jackz wrote: »
    You have a script that searchs this site for the word monkey don't you?

:)

No. I have a monkey that searches the site for the word monkey.

Actually I'm not all that great with animals.

I used to have some sea monkeys..

familyguy.bmp

But they died.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have a tiny dog - he's a Maltese called Rocky. The reason I wanted such a small dog was that I wouldn't be able to walk a big dog enough to keep it healthy, and I wanted a house dog for company. Originally my hubby wasn't keen on getting such a small dog but he loves him now. The other reason I got a Maltese is for their temperament - they're feisty little dogs despite what the primped and preened ones would have you think.
    A lot of women humanise small dogs which in my opinion is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Small dogs are easier to manage. I am usually big dog person myelf, until last year I was put in charge of a Westie by surprise. My ideal pet would be a Tiger or an Orangutan. And a shoulder Parrot. Arrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

my fav pet is def a kairn terrier. my mum has one at home. and he has nine lives pretty much. he is so nice and pudgy. i like to call him fat boy!!

but as it turns out he has the same name as my boyfriend. so there is dara the dog and dara the boyfreind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I have a great cat :) She's just your typical tabby but she's special to me! Would love a Husky/German Shepherd some day when I have a home of my own, with a garden of course, big dogs need space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have a westie terrier called Cody. He's my little buddy, he's right beside me on the bed now, taking up 80% of it despite only being a small dog. I've seen a lot of westie puppies in handbags... I always wonder what those people do when Westies grow too big and boisterous to be put in a bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

The little mini-mini-dogs scare me a little as the idea of a pet, what if they get under your feet and you crush them by accident?

Cats all the way for me for now, i like biggish dogs but don't have the space and wouldn't be ready for the responsibility yet. Maybe if i have children in the future....i think it's great to grow up in a home with a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I always prefer mutts to pure bred dogs. My boyfriend insists that I always pick the ugliest most pathetic looking ones.:) I guess I just want to look after them. I really hate little prissy dogs, especially Pomeranians, vicious little buggers.:mad:
    I used to have a Westy/cairn terrier/mutt though and he was great, very hardy and great fun.:)

I'm living in apartment now so we have a cute little hamster. Ive been tempted recently to get a chinchilla, they are so cute!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Ideally but will never happen: a meerkat, I'd give anything to have one!

Really: a cat for me and a dog for my bf. I'm gradually getting him in to cats and he's gradually turning me on to dogs in preparation for the day we finally get our pets. (Unfortunately we can't do it until we're settled somewhere :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

just came from my mate's house. he had to frisk me on the way out to make sure i hadnt stolen his rat...

man, i want one of those so bad.

also, orang utans are awesome, but im not sure about pets.

Advertisement