Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your ideal pet

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

just came from my mate's house. he had to frisk me on the way out to make sure i hadnt stolen his rat...

man, i want one of those so bad.

also, orang utans are awesome, but im not sure about pets.

I'd love a rat, trying to get one myself. Orangutans are great but you wouldn't be able to get one as a pet, endangered species and all that :P I'm gunna work with those when I finish my degree :D
    I always prefer mutts to pure bread dogs. My boyfriend insists that I always pick the ugliest most pathetic looking ones.:) I guess I just want to look after them.

Yeah mutts are great, they're kinda like abstract art in dog form. The good thing about them is that they're less likely to pick up the diseases/health problems associated with pure-breds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

just came from my mate's house. he had to frisk me on the way out to make sure i hadnt stolen his rat...

Sure he did, for the Rat :p

I love blue eyed siberian huskies too.
    I'd love a pet Kiwi (bird one) they are so cute with their big legs and no wings. I recommend you go to Orana park, they also have them in Christchurch square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Weidii wrote: »
    I'd love a rat, trying to get one myself. Orangutans are great but you wouldn't be able to get one as a pet, endangered species and all that :P I'm gunna work with those when I finish my degree :D

Yeah mutts are great, they're kinda like abstract art in dog form. The good thing about them is that they're less likely to pick up the diseases/health problems associated with pure-breds.

You sparked my curiosity about rats and now I want one damn it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

A huggable Panthar! Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I have 3 cats, 2 dogs and 2 1/2 fish...

The cats and dogs live in my mums and the fish live with me..... not allowed pets :( but the reason i say 2 1/2 is, well, one of my fish, brainey, has kinda been floating on the top for a bit, NO NO he is still alive, breathing and moving from time to time, but he seems to be having trouble getting to the bottom... like he has air stuck in him...

Anyways three of my pets are rescued, i'm a vet nurse, and they are the best i will post pics up later!

/me goes off to pet/animals to find out about floating fish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Jules, I have this vision of a fish frantically swimming on one side, trying to hide the fact that he's half a fish from everyone, and accidentally flipping over and becoming invisible. The Kevin Bacon of fish!

We have a sheepdog, Ella. She's the most affectionate puppy in the world, although she's not really a puppy anymore. I love her to bits.

The nicest dog we ever had was a mutt. She was beautiful though. Her dad was a pedigree Pom and her mother was a neighbour's runty little thing who kept having huge litters of puppies who were almost as big as her. Tiger (our dog) was a gorgeous golden-y colour with the pom tail. The funniest thing ever was when she'd spot the tail out of the corner of her eye and chase it 'round in circles until she fell over. I know that sounds cruel, but it was so cute. She was small, about as long as a sliced pan, and I loved being able to pick her up. Can't do that with Ella - although she'd love it if you could, the greaser!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Jules, I have this vision of a fish frantically swimming on one side

Where are you hiding in my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Some nice cute little dog who is a bit dopey but absolutely adores me.. Failing that some nice cute 21 year old Norwegian male who is a bit dopey but absolutely adores me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Have had many pets over the years - dogs of all breeds (mutts included), cats, gerbils, finches, cockateels, fish, etc.

Currently sticking with two small dogs (one westie, one pug cross) and one very spoilt cat. Would love a rake of large dogs but don't have the outside space I'd want for them in our current house, only have a regular back garden, so small dogs it is as they don't tend to wreck things in the same slobbery fashion larger dogs do :)

Ideal pet though - any simian, from small capuchin monkey (although they are b*stards by all accounts) to orangutan or gorilla (although would require a large ranch methinks for larger animals).

Would also love some lizards, but again, not going to indulge myself, as would be afraid I'd find a sad little tail sticking out of a dog or cat's mouth and a missing lizard poster up in the living room.

An aunt of mine used to have goats, which were funny creatures, until they ate all the washing off the line and you'd have to pull sheets of binbags out of their rears after they ingested the damn things.

I did once write an essay for college about keeping Indiana Jones (not Harrison Ford, mind, but "Indiana Jones")as a pet locked in a cellar for my amusement, so maybe that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

well id love a horse but on a smaller size id love a penguin http://hem.fyristorg.com/nonne/Jackass%20Penguin.jpg

or a babydoll sheep
    http://www.csminiaturehorses.com/images/sheep1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Huge tropical fish tank with leopard sharks and black tip reef sharks... (I used to work in an aquarium.. I swam with them and all)

Oh and I want a pomeranian puppy. Awhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ive a dog called Isabelle

I love a monkey (chimp) though...

Id call him (cant say here)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

WindSock wrote: »
    Sure he did, for the Rat :p

EWWWWWWW!!! married with kids! married with KIDS! which is how the rat ended up being called 'ratty'. never give naming duties to 6 year olds.
    I love blue eyed siberian huskies too.
    I'd love a pet Kiwi (bird one) they are so cute with their big legs and no wings. I recommend you go to Orana park, they also have them in Christchurch square.

the huskies kinda freak me. it's the eyes. i dont like really bright blue eyes, for some reason. freaky.

but yep, i hadn't even realised there were kiwis in the centre, i just wanted to see the fish. which i did. kiwis got 5mins, sharks got... i dunno, but the OH left over 5 times for smokes while i sat and watched the sharks.

though he got to see a kiwi for the first time since he was about 5, which was pretty cool, all because of my fish addiction.

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Huge tropical fish tank with leopard sharks and black tip reef sharks... (I used to work in an aquarium.. I swam with them and all)

you have absolutely no idea how much i hate you right now. or in general. just in general. i hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

you have absolutely no idea how much i hate you right now. or in general. just in general. i hate you.

Don't hate me. I only want it, I don't HAVE a huge shark tank.

The aquarium was best non proper job I ever had... I got so attached to all the sharks, one called Sue, a smooth hound, used to come up and let me stroke her nose and when I left she'd keep swimming around and bobbing up her nose at where I had been standing.

She died, and her little baby sharks. I'm still fcuked off at the aquarist... I cried.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh you mean animals...

sorry I guess the human kind would be better off discussed in S&S.

*snerk*

also my first thought...

I swam with them and all.

that's the bit im jealous of.
    The aquarium was best non proper job I ever had... I got so attached to all the sharks, one called Sue, a smooth hound, used to come up and let me stroke her nose and when I left she'd keep swimming around and bobbing up her nose at where I had been standing.

She died, and her little baby sharks. I'm still fcuked off at the aquarist... I cried.

you know the way some women get all broody and clucky about babies? what's the equivalent of that for women and sharks?

cos i'm that right now. and awww, poor things, that sounds adorable but sad :(
    bluewolf wrote: »
    *snerk*

also my first thought...

ditto :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Popsy

Well I have 2 mad terriers and I would absolutely love a Great Dane. I love their big dopey faces. Unfortunately, I don't have the room plus the other 2 love their creature comforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Gizmo from the Gremlins. but without all the Warnings like not feeding him after midnight or letting him get wet.
    i have a little Teddy Version of him:o but i want a real one that sings his little tune and does his little Dance....

I'm sorry where am i? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Niamho! wrote: »
    Gizmo from the Gremlins. but without all the Warnings like not feeding him after midnight or letting him get wet.
    i have a little Teddy Version of him:o but i want a real one that sings his little tune and does his little Dance....

I'm sorry where am i? lol

Surely you mean without all the problems, not without the warnings, or do you want to unleash complete chaos on us?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

http://www.irishanimals.com/greyhounds/index.html
    http://www.ispca.ie/content/grey-pets.html
    http://www.openerg.com/greyhounds.htm

I'll say no more! Your 'ideal pet' shouldn't necessarily have to be a pedigree puppy! Especially when there are thousands of gorgeous greyhounds rotting in shelters around the country :(

farohar wrote: »
    Surely you mean without all the problems, not without the warnings, or do you want to unleash complete chaos on us?:p

Haha. Oops :o

....i cant guarantee i wont spill anything on him from time to time. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I'd love a Harris Hawk or a Kestrel, really really want one since I was little....but wouldn't be able to go on holidays or anything like that cos they're v. fussy animals, take a lot of care. I like my holidays too much :D

Wanted a "White Fang" when I was younger. Either that or a police dog like "Kats and Dog".....damn tv, I'm surprised I didn't want Skippy too........

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

watna wrote: »
    Ideally but will never happen: a meerkat, I'd give anything to have one!

Wow a meerkat.....thats a good one!! If you get a meerkat and it has babies, can I have one?!!

Anyone seen 'Along Came Polly' ?? she's got a Ferret. Ferrets aren't overly cute but he makes the Coolest, cutest little noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Come to think of it since Niamho has taken us to the realms of fantasy for one of her pets I wanna say a dragon, it'd have to be a small one though, have only got a small room.:(
    OOOhhh! Maybe it could be like in the Midkemia books and use magic to change into a human so it'd fit that way!!:D

farohar wrote: »
    Come to think of it since Niamho has taken us to the realms of fantasy for one of her pets I wanna say a dragon, it'd have to be a small one though, have only got a small room.:(
    OOOhhh! Maybe it could be like in the Midkemia books and use magic to change into a human so it'd fit that way!!:D

You made me think of the little Waterhorse! have you seen the Clip for it?? he's dead cute as a Wee baby but i wouldnt want him to grow up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Baudelaire wrote: »
    I'd love a Parrot, an iguana and a snake but again space ristrictions will prevent this from ever happening :(

You don't need a lot of space for a snake, a snake would be OK in an enclosure that's 2/3 of its total lenght, a 3 foot enclosure is OK for an adult cornsnake.

I'm living in a bedsit and I've got 19 snakes (8 little baby cornsnakes, baby milksnake, 4 adult cornsnakes, baby royal python, californian kingsnake, four young boa constrictors) and three geckos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

ems_12 wrote: »
    Wow a meerkat.....thats a good one!! If you get a meerkat and it has babies, can I have one?!!

They don't make good pets apparently, you need more than one as they're social animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Blush_01 wrote: »
    She was small, about as long as a sliced pan
    LoL

Advertisement