Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a secret admirer

Options
  • 11-02-2008 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

OK, I need some help.

There's this guy on campus that I see every now and then, and I've spoken to him a couple of times. (I doubt he even knows my name.) I'd really like to get to know him better, but there are a few problems. First, I'm not out yet, cause I've decided that I'll only come out once I've a bf. Second, I'm too shy to approach him, and what excuse can I use anyway? Three, I don't even know if he's gay. Perhaps the only clue (not a very good one) is that he almost hangs out exclusively with girls.

So Valentine's day is coming. I'm thinking I should just drop him a Secret Admirer's card in his mailbox, but is it too stalkerish, given that he probably doesn't even know who I am.

I'm really frustrated and conflicted now. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

That he hangs around with girls means nothing. You could ask him straight out (excuse the pun) whether he is gay or not. Or you can ask one of his friends. If that doesn't sound like something you can do you can try engaging him in conversation again and seeing if he mentions whether he has a girlfriend or makes any comment regarding guys or girls that might act as a giveaway.

Alternatively, get him pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

swiss wrote: »
    Alternatively, get him pissed.

I second that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

What kinda stuff d'you two talk about?
    picklocks wrote: »
    First, I'm not out yet, cause I've decided that I'll only come out once I've a bf.
    Without a doubt, one of the biggest regrets I have during my college time was not coming out to my mates. I came out to them about a year later by which time we'd missed out on the shared talent spotting! You don't need 'proof' to tell people you're gay, I wish I'd realised that at the time.
    I don't even know if he's gay. Perhaps the only clue (not a very good one) is that he almost hangs out exclusively with girls.
    Erm, it's also quite possible that that means he IS gay! I've been there.
    So Valentine's day is coming. I'm thinking I should just drop him a Secret Admirer's card in his mailbox, but is it too stalkerish
    But isn't that the ENTIRE point of Valentine's Day?? ;) Do it!
    Ask him out for a drink ;)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I don't even know if he's gay. Perhaps the only clue (not a very good one) is that he almost hangs out exclusively with girls.
    Well if you don't know if they're gay perhaps the most logical first step would be to discreetly find out :rolleyes:

As for him hanging out with women that means absolutely nothing, he may just like a particular member of that group or just enjoy their company.

Certainly any idea of getting him pissed and trying it on is a recipe for disaster, lets face it most drunk males do not handle surprises pulled on them all that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Picklocks, if you can screw up the courage, I'd approach him and ask if he wants to go for a drink. It's one of the great things about college - if it all goes pear-shaped you never have to see him again! ;)

I know I'll always regret that I wasn't braver when it came to asking people out in college, especially girls, if I was back there again I'd hope I'd be more willing to take the bull by the horns.

So go for it! And best of luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I have lots of female friends, but I'm not gay.

I think the best route for you to take would be to get to know one of his female friends. You can then ask her if she thinks he might be gay.

I don't really like the secret admirer card route...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Make a ninja-Bebo*

Send a card, with the address to said Ninja-bebo at the bottom

*Ninja-bebo = seperate Bebo page for talkin to people u dont want to know who you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

Why is everyone here saying that hanging around with girls means nothing! Would ye all for god (gays) sake get real. Hanging out with girls is a sign of gayness of course there are load of exceptions, loads of them but it is a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

dublindude wrote: »
    I have lots of female friends, but I'm not gay.

I think the best route for you to take would be to get to know one of his female friends. You can then ask her if she thinks he might be gay.

I don't really like the secret admirer card route...
    There's a difference between HAVING and HANGING AROUND mainly with lotsa girls ;) What single girl in her right mind would want to hook up with a guy who's always with a bunch of girls? :-p

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

oneweb wrote: »
    What single girl in her right mind would want to hook up with a guy who's always with a bunch of girls?
    This is tooo true!

My recent year of nights out have been with work, a group of 10 of us, 6 girls, 4 guys, incl me

Its pretty impossible to score cos I think other girls think you're (1) With one of the girls, or (2) Gay!

• Advertisement

OK, I need some help.

There's this guy on campus that I see every now and then, and I've spoken to him a couple of times. (I doubt he even knows my name.) I'd really like to get to know him better, but there are a few problems. First, I'm not out yet, cause I've decided that I'll only come out once I've a bf. Second, I'm too shy to approach him, and what excuse can I use anyway? Three, I don't even know if he's gay. Perhaps the only clue (not a very good one) is that he almost hangs out exclusively with girls.

So Valentine's day is coming. I'm thinking I should just drop him a Secret Admirer's card in his mailbox, but is it too stalkerish, given that he probably doesn't even know who I am.

So how did it go in the end? What did you end up doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

OK, I need some help.

Good God, I hung out mainly with girls & people thought I was gay. Can someone send a memo around or something?

Anyway I'd imagine the girls he hangs out with know either way. Find out off them. If I got a card & it turned out to be a guy I'd be somewhat miffed. And very disappointed!

Giving a card would be more than a little spasticated....

Jady? If you've nothing constructive to add how about you stay out of this forum? You obviously have a pretty narrow mindset, that's not really very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Picklocks, how did this go?

fozzle wrote: »
    Jady? If you've nothing constructive to add how about you stay out of this forum? You obviously have a pretty narrow mindset, that's not really very helpful.

Em that was constructive... I don't think giving a card is a good idea... putting it mildly. A card is just a little stalker-ish in my opinion and i can see that the admirer here is not a stalker so I was trying to offer my advice.

Also how do i have a narrow mindset? Cause i don't like the card idea?

jady88 wrote: »
    Em that was constructive... I don't think giving a card is a good idea... putting it mildly. A card is just a little stalker-ish in my opinion and i can see that the admirer here is not a stalker so I was trying to offer my advice.

Also how do i have a narrow mindset? Cause i don't like the card idea?

When you phrase your opinion properly like that it's fine, to say
    Giving a card would be more than a little spasticated....
    is hardly constructive now, is it? As for the narrow mindset thing, that may have been a bit of an over reaction, for which I apologise. it was directed towards the hanging out with girls is a sign your gay notion. It's been a long week and I guess I wasn't being very forgiving, sorry.

fozzle wrote: »
    When you phrase your opinion properly like that it's fine, to say is hardly constructive now, is it? As for the narrow mindset thing, that may have been a bit of an over reaction, for which I apologise. it was directed towards the hanging out with girls is a sign your gay notion. It's been a long week and I guess I wasn't being very forgiving, sorry.

Coolness, i do tend to speak in rather blunt terms on-line which can come across wrong to those who don't know me but i swear i'm actually quite sweet and lovable (butter not melting).:)

However i still maintain that hanging out with girls alot is a sign however weak of gayness. Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'd love to get a card from a secrete admirer, wouldn't care who they are, I'd just be so chuffed to have one :)

azezil wrote: »
    I'd love to get a card from a secrete admirer, wouldn't care who they are, I'd just be so chuffed to have one :)

then maybe i am being harsh but i just think trying to find out from his friends would be a infinitely better decision.

• Advertisement

azezil wrote: »

Yeah so would I, its a really nice gesture.

However i still maintain that hanging out with girls alot is a sign however weak of gayness. Do you disagree?
    I better explain it to my wife that I've been hanging out with her to much and I've caught gay from it. Once she reads your explanation for it I'm sure she'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I better explain it to my wife that I've been hanging out with her to much and I've caught gay from it. Once she reads your explanation for it I'm sure she'll understand.

Ah here, that's entirely different :p

I heart you! You seem like a really witty intelligent person me thinks thats what keeps the wife into you despite your gayness! LoL

Since you insist on being painfully simple (but i guess its probably tougher on you than it is on me) i'll have to explain in a terribly obvious way what i meant by claiming it was a sign.

I never suggested one could develop gayness(:D) from hanging out with girls, however from my experience of the world males with mostly female FRIENDS or who predominantly hang out with women are more often than turn out to be gay men . Think back to school or college...?

however from my experience of the world males with mostly female FRIENDS or who predominantly hang out with women are more often than turn out to be gay men . Think back to school or college...?
    Well that's settled it, with conclusive proof like that the matter is surely settled.

Well that's settled it, with conclusive proof like that the matter is surely settled.

Conclusive proof of what? My personal experiences? You really don't seem to be able to follow a simple discussion...

Everyone here knows what i am saying is true... I'm not trying to prove anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Everyone here knows what i am saying is true...

You're wrong on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What Boston said.

Boston do you actually think that straight men at least in school or college, which is the forum we are discussing here, befriend and hang out with girls to the same extent as gay men..?

Honestly?

• Advertisement

Well in my experience, I've not seen any sign of it. But maybe my groups of friends are too mixed. But I've known straight guys who hang out with lots of girls, and gay guys with few or no female friends.

Advertisement