Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever bought a game just for the Gamerscore points ?

• 11-02-2008 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

A mate was slagging me off for buying fifa 06 rtwc just cause id heard the gamerscore was easy, and it was 1000 points for playing maby 2 hours woo hoo. In fairness i only spent 4 euro on the game so I feel it was worth it.

Anyone else ever buy a game just to get up your gamerscore ? I dont think its a big deal but my mate says im cheating by basically buying myself a high score.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

In all honesty, no.

It's nice when an achievement pops up on screen but there's not much point in actively seeking out achievements you're not interested in just to inflate your gamerscore - unless you and some friends are making a game of it... or you feel the need to prove how 'hardcore' you are...

Enjoyment is everything, gamerscore is nothing.

BTW, despite my modest gamerscore, my comment is not born of G-envy. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Definitly no

I only use achievements as something to do when I finish a game or get bored of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Defo not,

Windowlicker,

That is all....

Does your gamer score do anything ?? I see people talking about it all the time but it doesnt bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kristok wrote: »
    A mate was slagging me off for buying fifa 06 rtwc just cause id heard the gamerscore was easy, and it was 1000 points for playing maby 2 hours woo hoo. In fairness i only spent 4 euro on the game so I feel it was worth it.

Anyone else ever buy a game just to get up your gamerscore ? I dont think its a big deal but my mate says im cheating by basically buying myself a high score.

Nope, never, couldn't bring myself to do it, and I'm at 20k the hard way. No Avatars or King Kong or any of that shite!! Only games on my tag are ones I wanted to play!

I'm a gamerscore whore by most accounts, but that is too far for me!

And your mate is right, your effectively buying yourself the gamerpoints, not the game!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I bought DOAX2 cheap thinking it can't be as bad as people say and worst case I'd get some gamerscore points.

It is that bad, and I got 0 points off it so I think that was karma telling me not to do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Haven't bought a game just for the gamerscores though did think about picking up Avatar when i saw it for cheap :P

I got King Kong with my 360 which I probably wouldn't have bothered playing the whole way through only you get an easy 1000 points for doing it ¬.¬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i like trying to get achievements, but i wouldnt buy a game just for the points :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depending on the points in the game I have been known to spend far longer than normal carrying on palying a game just to get a couple of extra achievments. I'd say that things like the challenges from 360voice have done a fair bit for sales of the of Avatar type games with the stupid easy points though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Nope, I played FIFA rtwc when I first got my 360 cause my brother had it, it was dire, but I did play through just for the points. But never bought a game just for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i like the added challenge gamerscore brings but i hate one of the more common gamerscore challenges - what id called needle in haystack challenges when you need to collect 100 flags, or 50 hidden icons etc. I bleein hate those challenges.

I completed Assassins creed at the week after having it for only 2 weeks playing it on and off which was disappointing. I unlocked something like 865 gamerscore but wasnt wasting my energy at the rest in what some would say is easy-points by collecting flags!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Achievements definitly make me play the game more and try to do the extra bits in the game but I don't know if I would buy a game especially for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Achievements were a brilliant stroke by microsoft iv never bought a game just to get them but i have played games longer just to get them. Games like crackdown wouldnt have been as good without them ! the agency tower achievement has been one of my favorite moments or the used car salesmen in Halo 3 god damn it was good to get that one !! I did get my brother king kong for his birthday (along with other games) last year and i was very tempted to have a quick run tru before i gave it to him !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Kristok wrote: »

You'd love Avatar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-kv4QJnV8

Wouldn't play a game for the achievements, like aiming for them if I enjoy the game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

keen wrote: »
    You'd love Avatar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-kv4QJnV8

Wouldn't play a game for the achievements, like aiming for them if I enjoy the game though.

my good god that was pathetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Can this thread be renamed: Ever bought a game just to increase your penis size?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

To buy a game to increase your gamer score, this must be one of the saddest things I've ever heard of....

deary deary me.....

And listen to your mate, that man has wisdom beyond his years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dont mind them OP, its not my thing personally but if you enjoy playing the games just to unlock gamerscore then there is nothing wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

CiDeRmAn its hardly the saddest thing ever i spent 4 euro played a decent enough football game and got the points. And as someone said yes this is a bit of a competition between me and a mate i just couldnt resist it for 4 euro, if i find avator for that price ill get that too haha.

And m83 if i could actually buy a game to increase my penis size I would, as would every male :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

See how fuzion frenzy and king kong are in my recently played list?

Need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Rent them out instead its alot cheaper than buying them :D I did buy some crap games though for 15 euro and then traded them in at Gamestop when they had that deal trade 2 games and pay 10 euro and get any new game..It worked out I was paying 40 quid for a new game instead of paying 60/70 which was handy :)

Advertisement